KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Imgur Reviews

Updated May 20, 2021

Found 63 of over 65 reviews

4.6
Imgur Founder/CEO Alan Schaaf (no image)
Alan Schaaf
Pros
  • "Start-ups get a bad rap for being known as places with crapy work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "the office space is very spacious with lots of places to grab your laptop and work(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some growing pains as teams expand and new processes are put in place to accommodate managing the project pipelines(in 5 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast, so things are happening at a very fast pace(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good stuff

Aug 26, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast startup atmosphere at a company with extreme year over year growth. No job is perfect except this one.

Cons

Some people can't keep up with the fast pace.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Love it, wish I had come on board sooner

Sep 26, 2019 - Senior DevOps Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been in the industry for 20 years. I've worked for a lot of places and even run my own successful consultancy with quite a few employees at it's peak. I'm giving this information so some context can be applied. This is the best place I've ever worked. Bar none. The culture is amazing. People are genuinely kind, everyone helps everyone, there is a focus on solving the problem. It's honestly so incredibly refreshing. I have had the distinct pleasure of working with some of the smartest and best people since coming here. It's also really nice to work somewhere that focuses on the users. The users actually come first. Management is technical, while still focusing on soft skills. The CEO is part of the crew, and it's actually fun, he's technical, and nerdy in all the best ways. The mission is really to help people, not to chase numbers. it's to give people a moment of relief when they open the app. A reason to smile. It's nice to do something that pushes back the darkness so many people are dealing with today.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fun, challenging, incredible people, incredible mission.

Oct 21, 2019 - Chief Financial Officer
      Business Outlook

Pros

People. Kind, smart, motivated and incredibly committed to the company's mission. Work. Fun, engaging and challenging. Community. The Imgur is an incredible group of millions people. Having an impact on the platform that means so much to so many people is a unique opportunity and its amazing to see the things that the community does with it.

Cons

While most people are in SF, a good amount of folks are distributed. This can be challenging for those who aren't used to working on a distributed team. Imgur does a great job of creating an environment where everyone feels connected— even if they're across the globe.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Beyond Your Wildest Memes, Keanu

Nov 11, 2019 - Head of Creative Strategy in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bloody great people. Who let you be yourself. No professional robot version of yourself necessary. Incredible company mission that genuinely glows as a light of positivity in an otherwise toxic social landscape. All the memes you could ever dream of. Really cool "Discover the Magic of the Internet" tagline (okay, I admit it, I came up with that).

Cons

Alan thinks he's the world's best smash Bros player. Which might actually be true, but it's still a con. The view from the office can be a little distracting.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stay away

Jul 18, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Usual startup perks, nice office, flexible wfh

Cons

- People in technical lead roles not as experienced. - Huge tech debt. There's no interest in improving the situation. Lot's of hotfixes and meaningless work. - Lot's of rotation, people seem to get hired/fired a lot without notice.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The best job I've ever had

Aug 17, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO is awesome, my coworkers are awesome. Everything is awesome. You can work remote, you can work from a WeWork, you can work hours that work for you. Everyone is nice and professional. The imgur community is so nice too. I just love it.

Cons

I don't think it's a con, but working at imgur is high pace, fast moving, and there's a ton of work to do.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I really like working here.

Dec 5, 2018 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pro that I'd emphasize is all the awesome people. Imgur employs some of the most talented people I've worked with. It's a positive, friendly vibe every day, and I feel like everyone is respected, and differences are valued. The benefits are great, and I get the sense from HR and leadership that they care about their employees and want to do right by them. Fun things are happening all the time, from supporting sick children through a 24-hour videogameathon, an annual offsite, a company holiday party, bi-weekly all hands, monthly re-occurring events, the fun never stops. The product is good, and it does good. We find the Imgur community is filled with good people who use Imgur to do good things for others. If you're remote, Imgur very much values remote employees and works hard to create a good experience for everyone. For example, during our Thanksgiving day cook-off, remote employees were sent something instead of being able to attend. Additionally, remote employees have many opportunities during the year to travel to the main office. It's fun when everyone's together.

Cons

There's a lot of work to do, but that's actually a good thing!

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place, good people

Apr 16, 2020 - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and fast culture, powerful brand

Cons

Somewhat chaotic engineering environment with decisions made very informally

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A strong team, with a genuine passion

Feb 4, 2019 - Community Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Imgur was a breath of fresh air, as an employee, and as an industry professional. Management is direct, straight-forward, and adaptive to change and ideas. They have a genuine desire to make the world a better place, and start with their employees. Remote work is a breeze, both full-time, and as an optional WFH set up. Communication burn-out is a thankfully absent curse at Imgur.

Cons

Inter-team communication could always be better, as is the case in many companies. A clearer understanding for the right hand as to what the left hand is up to is always welcome.

Imgur Response

Thank you for your honest review. As we move to a remote culture, we are very aware of improving communication throughout the whole company. We have recently purchased new tools to make communicating easier among the company.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

company changing direction

Sep 25, 2019 - Creative Strate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Exec team transparency - Fun content - Great app

Cons

- denial of company issues - deteriorating company culture -stagnated community and finances

4 people found this review helpful