KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Imgur Reviews

Updated May 10, 2022

Found 67 of over 71 reviews

4.6
Imgur Founder/CEO Alan Schaaf (no image)
Alan Schaaf

Technical Account Manager

61 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Awesome people to work with(in 13 reviews)
  • "Literally everyone is nice here; you never have to worry that someone is acting out of spite.(in 11 reviews)
  • "The culture is amazing.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Great office space.(in 7 reviews)
  • "When it comes down to why Imgur is a great place to work it's pretty simple; The product is amazing and helps millions daily, the team is great, and the company genuinely cares the employees.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Nice company

May 10, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture was good when I was there (through 2018)

Cons

Future of company felt uncertain as are most VC backed companies.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Awesome place.

Oct 25, 2021 - Content Moderation
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work and internet culture.

Cons

None that I can think of.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome company and culture

Oct 11, 2021 - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, amazing culture, fun platform to work on

Cons

I honestly can't think of any major cons

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good stuff

Aug 26, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast startup atmosphere at a company with extreme year over year growth. No job is perfect except this one.

Cons

Some people can't keep up with the fast pace.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Beyond Your Wildest Memes, Keanu

Nov 11, 2019 - Head of Creative Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bloody great people. Who let you be yourself. No professional robot version of yourself necessary. Incredible company mission that genuinely glows as a light of positivity in an otherwise toxic social landscape. All the memes you could ever dream of. Really cool "Discover the Magic of the Internet" tagline (okay, I admit it, I came up with that).

Cons

Alan thinks he's the world's best smash Bros player. Which might actually be true, but it's still a con. The view from the office can be a little distracting.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Imgur is great balance of freedom and hard working individuals

Jun 1, 2016 - QA Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

While lots of companies have smart people (and Imgur is no exception), there's some things that allow Imgur to stand out. For starters, everyone who is here wants to be here and shares the goal of making a great internet community even greater. This is seen in how motivated everyone is to put out a product they're proud of, and as a result, management is able to give individuals a good amount of freedom in how they get their work done. This, combined with an excellent benefits package (best available health insurance at extremely low employee cost, 25 vacation days and 11 holidays, a $500 "passion fund" stipend, gym benefits, and more) have spoiled me on other companies. Additionally, Imgur has shown that it will promote from within when people deserve the position and it's available - I've seen many other places forgo the hard worker who deserves it for an outside hire, which always is a frustration. Finally, everyone I've worked with here has been a pleasure to work with. Even when there's arguments about how to tackle a certain problem, everyone treats each other with respect and civility. All opinions matter, and are taken into account. I've worked at other companies, from startups to large established companies, and Imgur has been the best employee experience I've had.

Cons

Slack is used heavily, which can make it harder to get away from work in the evening and weekends, but if you take the effort to set that you're away, you can get away without too much trouble.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I do what I love!

Apr 12, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at Imgur for three years now and I have to say it's the best company I've every worked for. Start-ups get a bad rap for being known as places with crapy work/life balance. Imgur is a place that truly respects work/life balance and at the same time keeps a high bar for output and performance. I've had the opportunity to do some of my best work here and I truly feel like I'm part of a family. I know there is a huge focus on continuing to grow the Imgur product, make the company even more diverse and building a company for the future. All of those things excite me and I'm proud to work here. The benefits are some of the best in the business and the pay is competitive as well.

Cons

Imgur has had amazing organic scale and growth. I believe the company is at a very interesting crossroads for the future and I see the product team pushing the limits on the expectations for the future of our product. I think the future is unknown from a product perspective and that makes some people uneasy. However, the team is committed to Imgur being different and truly being a place that lifts the worlds spirits for a few moments everyday. It's going to be an interesting ride and I'm proud to be part of it.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stay away

Jul 18, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Usual startup perks, nice office, flexible wfh

Cons

- People in technical lead roles not as experienced. - Huge tech debt. There's no interest in improving the situation. Lot's of hotfixes and meaningless work. - Lot's of rotation, people seem to get hired/fired a lot without notice.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place, good people

Apr 16, 2020 - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and fast culture, powerful brand

Cons

Somewhat chaotic engineering environment with decisions made very informally

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Add a title or description

Oct 27, 2015 - Director of Engineering
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The team actively cares about keeping the site's community healthy and always keeps that in mind when making product decisions. - HUGE amount of traffic gives everyone great exposure to working at scale and building products that impact a HUGE audience. - The company does a great job of reflecting the embodying the company values and incorporating them into everyday actions. One of our values is that everything is an iteration and we often see this on the engineering side where we'll frequently give new technology a shot and to actively improve our process. - Great people and culture. Everyone is very mindful of each other as a person and working to make sure that we're all supported and provided opportunities for growth. There is a lot of promotion from within and opportunities to help out with other departments.

Cons

- The company had gone through a growth spurt in the past and some people had to wear many different hats for a period of time. Things have leveled out recently and its great to see people able to focus more on their primary role.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 67 Reviews

Imgur Reviews FAQs

Imgur has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 71 reviews left anonymously by employees. 88% of employees would recommend working at Imgur to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Imgur employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Imgur. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

88% of Imgur employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Imgur 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Imgur to be senior leadership, culture, benefits and the cons to be career development .