Immersion Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Immersion Corporation President and Chief Executive Officer Vic Viegas
Vic Viegas

1. Featured Review

"Small Company Feel, Big Company Influence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is solid and has a great business model. It's been around forever, but most people have never heard of it because it doesn't "make" products, but licenses their software/hardware to major companies. Ever heard of XBox/Playstation? Immersion haptics are in there. Cadillac? Yeah there too. Mobile phones? Yup in there too. They have money in the bank, so you feel secure. Also, there is a great work/life balance. No one wants you to get burned out. Oh, and they are big on patents. They set aside time for company wide "Innovation Days" where you can work in teams to come up with patent ideas so you could actually become an inventor.

Cons

Commute can be bad unless you live close or take the train to the Great America, Santa Clara station, or light rail to N. First Street at Tasman Station, or have an electric car to get into the carpool lanes.

Advice to Management

Get more help staffing. We have so much opportunity and so many cool projects to work on.

"Growing, doing new things in mobile devices, mobile media, gaming, wearables..."

Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company means you have access to people across the company, which makes it easier to get things done. And Immersion's haptic technology is used in different industries that makes the job more interesting (automotive & mobile OEMs, app developers, gaming brands).

A lot of new people have joined in the past couple years, so the company has fresh ideas, new thinking. The company is focused on software & IP (whereas before I started, they were doing hardware in a bunch of different markets that they exited like medical, simulation...).It's profitable and growing and has a solid plan for where we're headed (the stock price has performed really well over the past year as a result...)

Big plus at Immersion is work/life balance...con calls with Asia, you can do from home. Flexible working hours make a big difference.

Cons

Growing pains, as the company works on new initiatives means sometimes people are stretched thin, but they seem to be hiring to fill some of the gaps.

3. "Good place to come to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology. Bright, creative people to work with. Great place for a family person to work - I can drop off or pick up the kids. Challenging work assignments. Very small company so a chance to see the big picture. Lots of opportunity to make a difference to the bottom line of the company. Chance to know most of the people in the company - I can walk over an talk to people that I work with.

Cons

Small company so it takes a big picture person who knows how to get their job done efficiently quickly and effectively.

4. "Positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming environment, exciting team. Positive experience.

Cons

Location is a little tough if you are on the younger side

"Great people, culture, opportunities for development..."

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at the company full-time for over 4 years now. What keeps me engaged and happy to be here are the people, career development opportunities, relationship with my manager, and being a part of a growing technology company that is in exciting and interesting markets. I get to interact daily with employees in the US, Canada, Asia Pacific and Europe. Due to small company size and having a supportive manager, I’m able to work on company-wide projects and stretch assignments that I might not get the opportunity to work on in a larger organization. There are also great perks and incentives such as a bonus plan tied to individual and company performance, stock, ESPP, great health benefits, fun company events and the monthly breakfast and lunches are always nice too. But the part that makes me look forward to coming to work each day are the people; they are a group of smart, talented and friendly people.

Cons

Due to small company size, resources can be limited at times and some processes could benefit from being automated.

"Great people and Company has a great future."

Current Employee - Financial in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Financial in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Immersion has great people to work and to collaborate with. There is a great new program where people can share and put in place innovative ideas. It really allows one to make a difference. Also Immersion is small enough that you can get to know people well.

The technology is very exciting. Its Haptics technology which is all about touch. The technology gives a lot of feeling to cell phones and makes games more fun. And now there is a lot of market acceptance. Very big customers such as Samsung and Sony pay Immersion for the technology.

Immersion has a great future. The Company has now reported significant increases in profitability at the end of 2013. They also have no debt and a lost of cash in the bank. Its great when a company can concentrate on what they do and not have ot worry about not having enough money.

Immersion also has great benefits. Those include stock options, restricted stock unit (RSU) grants, a bonus plan, a discounted employee stock purchase plan, a 401k with a great employee match, a great medical plan for employees and their families, a dental insurance plan, a vision plan, a tax free 125 plan for health care and child care, and even free breakfast. A lot of companies seem to have cut back in these areas these days, but not Immersion.

Immersion has a lot of people with families that work there. So most all are sympathetic to work/family balance. That is honestly hard to find these days. Immersion people like to work hard for Immersion, but they also enjoy having a lot of time with their family which is so important.

Immersion continues to be on a growth trajectory. So there are lots of opportunities in Immersion's future.

Cons

Immersion is a small Company. Every department is small. Hopefully with all of the planned growth there will be more opportunites for advancement as time goes on.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee suggestions. The program to take innovative ideas from employees is great and should be kept and expanded.

"Fun place, supportive management, new technology designed to please customers"

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work with a fun group of professionals who care about designing products that delight end-customers. Management also spends a lot of time making sure that its employees are happy with their jobs while firing on all cylinders to achieve innovation breakthroughs.

Cons

Ability to get on the most interesting and high-visibility projects sometimes limited

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing with the pay, benefits, and great communications, but also keep giving all employees chances to show how they can shine over and over again

"Intern at Immersion"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Immersion Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with really cool haptic technology; work hours are very lax and the people there are extremely bright. Medium-sized company that retains a lot of the cool aspects of a smaller company.

Cons

Not many other interns; social aspect of the company was missing

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

9. "Immersion is AMAZING!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Immersion has been very flexible with work/life balance and my work schedule while I finish my last semester of school. There is so much room for career development and I have no doubt that the leadership team cares about my growth within the company. The people are very intelligent and truly believe in Immersion's mission and vision. The work is challenging yet attainable.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to reach our goals!

10. "Immersion.jp will shape online networking in Japan"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Tokyo (Japan)

Pros

Cutting edge technology tied to a radical revenue model / user interaction model.

Cons

startup and not well financed yet.

Advice to Management

Get cash in the door boys