Impax Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 6, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul M. Bisaro

Pros
  • Nice work environment,nice people (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits with below average cost to employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, lack of communication from HQ (in 4 reviews)

"Analyst in finance"

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at Impax Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On positive is the nice new building but horrid location

Cons

Don't waste your time, wait for the failing company is bought up. Management in our Finance is terrible, condescending to their employees. Both bosses a man and woman are only interested in furthering their goals while stepping on us to get there. no appreciation.

Advice to Management

Leave and never go into management again.

"We are moving backwards"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Impax Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people work here but are horribly mismanaged. Pay used to be okay but seems to be falling behind the rest of the Bay Area.

Cons

Too much focus on metrics and not enough on our people and career growth. Trying to cut too many people and costs and not paying attention to what this is doing to people. They talk about work/life balance and employees being our number one resource but the reality is very different. We seem to be going backwards on quality.

Advice to Management

This company may still have some potential, but it is getting harder to ignore what they are doing right now. We all worked so hard to get out from under the warning letter. And almost right after that happened everything went crazy. All kinds of demands on the same resources without any extra people to do the work.

Now in the Quality group, we seem to be sliding backwards. We are focusing more on buzzwords and bravado rather than following sound technical and quality principles. We seem to be undoing many recent changes that made us a more compliant company. It is almost as if we have forgotten why the previous changes were made. Many of those changes were made based on FDA comments and now they are being undone. The unilateral decision making on almost everything such as promotions, staffing, disbanding groups, compliance, technical issues, etc. has got to stop. It is sad to see a group of people so demoralized because their "leaders" are causing such a regression in terms of the work environment. Some good people have left recently and many others are now openly talking about it. If the quality group cannot get it right, who can? Until they fix this, I would not recommend this place to my enemies, let alone my friends.

"Only thing that matter is the number of tablets produced."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I worked at Impax Laboratories (More than a year)

Pros

conpensation
    401K
    Health Care Benefits
    some good people working there that cares about the company.
    Free pizza every saturday if you work overtime.

Cons

Dysfunctional management
    Micromanagement
    Horrible work culture
    Lack of respect except for manager above
    Working long hours and lack of appreciation
    Lack of advancement program
    No communication between departments
    Always pointing fingers and blaming others for mistake
    Lack of team works

"entry level work"

Former Employee - QA Inspector in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - QA Inspector in Hayward, CA

I worked at Impax Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good entry level type job, decent paid time off and holidays each year, medical and dental benefits, some good people working there

Cons

workers are barely motivated, no one takes ownership of anything, some management types are useless, no English on the production floor, hard to advance to higher positions (very few promotions and only to a select few), layoffs can come at anytime with no warning, a lot of over time including weekends and 12 hour shifts, poor morale generally

Advice to Management

Raise base salary for non exempt employees, retain productive workers and get rid of those who can not perform their jobs which are many, promote those who give to the company

"Validation Engineer"

Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Hayward, CA

Pros

It was a job,
    Many posts on this site will point out that Impax pays well, but that is an exaggeration. Most pharmaceutical in the Bay Area (Norther California) pays well. What they won't tell is lack of direction this company has....By the way, they like to fire people for any reason...

Cons

The company is dysfunctional, the management team that lost and confused. The only reason that they had hired a group of contractors was to look good in the eye of the FDA regulator. Once their letter was lifted, Impax laid off 98% of the contract.

Advice to Management

None they would not get any way.

"Impax Labs is in big FDA trouble"

Former Contractor - Consultant in Hayward, CA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Hayward, CA

I worked at Impax Laboratories as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They place a high value on QC of their pharmaceutical products.

Cons

I was part of a team of contractors brought in to resolve serious FDA audit compliance problems. We confronted implacable internal obstacles & resistance from the Validation and QA middle & upper management. They only wanted to hear positive reports & be appeased, tell the truth & the reactions were overtly hostile in meetings. The noncompliance issues were so severe they closed down an entire division in Philadelphia. Also they are located in a high-crime, heavy traffic & polluted industrial part of Hayward Union City.

Advice to Management

Change your policies, institute TQM or lose your FDA license.

"Still haven’t learned their lesson"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Impax Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offer Good Pay and benefits.

Cons

Been through FDA investigations and still not learned their lesson. We are back to square one. Big time favoritism especially in supply chain. The chief like if you have brown nose. Doesn’t care about the product and quality. Management has no moral, totally OOC.

Advice to Management

Time to think smart and change the leftover trash

"If you're an Indian, you will enjoy, otherwise, don't even think about it."

Current Contractor - SAP Consultant in Hayward, CA
    Current Contractor - SAP Consultant in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Impax Laboratories as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent salary, benefits and stock options.

Cons

One nation, one country, one background, and one short tongue

Advice to Management

Think about what other people are think about Indians.

"Last resort if you're a college grad"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Hayward, CA

I worked at Impax Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned the basics of solid dosage manufacturing and GMPs
    Gave me something to put on my resume as a new grad
    Favorites - I was lucky to be a favorite as such I got hands on office experience and access to engineering project I could put on my resume

Cons

Salary- very low (less than $15/hr)
    Growth opportunity- they lie to college grads. yes you will see 2-3 people who use to be techs in higher level positions but thats 2-3 out of hundreds if not thousands that left the company because of no growth
    Favorites- if your not one of the lucky people that becomes a favorite you will essentially be stuck cleaning rooms

Advice to Management

Non- They are in it for the money and no matter how crappy a job they do they still get there money so why even suggest improvements when they dont care.

"Unprofessional Management with big time favoritism"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Impax Laboratories full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good pay. Just got my review and now making more than $40 an hour as a warehouse associate. Honestly shouldn't get that much. I don't know what data they are looking to justify the pay rates or may be who you know.

Cons

Unprofessional Management with big time favoritism. It is all who you know and your brown nose. Specially supply chain. We haven't made anything. Product is changing on daily basis. We load Kanban and next day pulled back. Planning please do good job. It is frustrating. We want to make something...

Advice to Management

Start speaking English and hire Americans. Plan ahead and then provide clear directions. You are in America-California