Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust Chief Executive Tracey Batten
Tracey Batten

1. "Working As a Clinical Healthcare Assistant"

Former Employee - Healthcare Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Healthcare Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (Less than a year)

Pros

Their teaching and training are second to none. I was an absolute novice and new nothing about working in the Healthcare Industry. When I left I had so much experience that I was able to work anywhere as a Healthcare Assistant.

Cons

The hours can be long and as a HCA some Nurses might treat you like a general dogs body.

2. "A burgeoning platform for healthcare innovation"

Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuous learning on offer.
    Constant use of most up to date technology to improve patients care and recovery.
    Fair possibilities for employee to get more training to support their career progress.

Cons

In some areas there is inherent lack of cohesion and support within the nursing teams, which has the practical effect of making some nurses less engaged or involved in the running of the unit where there work.

Advice to Management

A conversation need to be started within the nursing directorate to understand better why some nurses feel less valued and how to address that situation in the interest of all parties. There is a subculture of disdain towards some nurses of the minority, and that is a shame in a way that all good human resources are not manage /or supported by their colleagues adequately to get the most for all stakeholders.

3. "Pharmacist"

I worked at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust full-time

Pros

ICHNT is a teaching trust, therefore you receive a significant amount of training e.g. clinical meetings, presentations, in-house teaching sessions for band 6 pharmacists as part of the JPB diploma.
    The department is fairly big, especially at Charing Cross Hospital and the people across all three sites are great!

Cons

Lack of support for band 6 pharmacists, especially in terms of the rotations. Often you end up doing the same patient services rotations such as dispensary and discharge and there isn't a conscious effort from management to ensure that everyone receives a range of rotations.
    The time constraints and working load (i.e. number of wards to complete) were unrealistic and often felt unsafe.

Advice to Management

Ensure band 6 pharmacists receive a range of rotations and create a system that actually works! Often pharmacists would find out their next rotation a week before they were due to start. The lack of organisation with this meant that management in each rotation would also suffer.

5. "Assistant Management Accountant"

Former Employee - Student Placement- Assistant Management Accountant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (More than a year)

Pros

Such a lovely work environment and team to work with.
    The finance department is really wonderful to work, you also get the chance to study and enhance your career further.

Cons

It is huge trust and usually the staff are short which means a lot of work need to be done

6. "Theatre Support Worker"

Former Employee - Theatre Support Worker
    Former Employee - Theatre Support Worker

Pros

Was an eye opening experience working as an HCA within an NHS hospital. Good for networking within a multidisciplinary team. I learnt a lot and questioning practice was encouraged to better my learning of the theatre.

Cons

Bullying from more senior members of staff, although never from surgeons/consultants but sisters, or power hungry ODPs. I wanted hospital experience prior to applying to university to study Adult Nursing and truthfully my time working there put me off wanting to work as a nurse within the NHS at this current time.
    I occasionally found HCAs from other wards around the hospital to be rude or unhelpful towards me when I was there to meet patients to take to theatre. E.g, refusing to assist me in moving the bed along corridors which tended to be long, sloped and windy, not being polite or empathetic towards the patients or declining to show me to a patient in a large unfamiliar ward.
    Having spoken to theatre staff from other hospitals around the country it seems my experience is uncommon, other hospitals do sound great to work at and you will have a good supportive team around you.
    If you are a good communication and love meeting new people I would advise against working in theatres. Sounds silly, obviously don't expect much patient interaction working as a TSW, it can be lonely work and not very varied!

7. "Stellar in some areas, laughably poor in others."

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust full-time

Pros

- Brilliant Work/Life balance. Rarely ever had to work a weekend and annual leave allowance is great.
    - One of the best pensions you can possibly get.
    - Patients are still very much at the centre in the decisions made, which is how it should be.
    - The team I was in were friendly and a blast to be around/work with and line manager valued our input, couldn't speak for other teams.
    - Flexible hours, brilliant means of remote working/access.
    - Will definitely provide a good start for people seeking opportunities, despite the poor means of progression.
    - The interaction/involvement of the frontline staff with ICT matters/development, both clinical and non-clinical, is brilliant.
    - Reputable organisation!

Cons

- Poor day-to-day communication between different teams, meaning lack of agility and frequently duplicated/wasted effort.
    - Very poor means of progression if you don't have the connections. It's incredibly disheartening to see hard-working people being trapped in their pay grade despite their efforts/dedication.
    - HR are laughably slow and downright diabolical.
    - Very poor retention of talent, especially the young.
    - Can be very cliquey, definitely to a detriment.
    - Depending on area you are in and/or your efficiency, you are at a VERY high risk of simply being taken for granted (not the same as being appreciated or respected!).

Advice to Management

You need to really provide better provisions for training and progression equally, or you'll continue to lose young talented individuals to other Trusts/the Private Sector.

8. "Officer"

Pros

Interesting projects, fast paced work, large and renowned healthcare provider

Cons

Apathetic management, limited training, poor office standard

Advice to Management

Be more approachable and genuinely accessible

9. "Good company, very busy and professional"

Current Employee - Lead Nurse in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Nurse in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Attached to Imperial College
    Serves large proportion of West Londoners
    Includes many health specialties
    Opportunity for development and training

Cons

Constant management changes
    Financial difficulties
    Too big to lead

Advice to Management

Chasing financial stability has taken over from main aim of patient care.

10. "Regsitrat"

Pros

A tertiary centre with specialist expertise which in some areas is world class. A renowned reputation. Has recently gone through significant change.

Cons

A tertiary centre with several sites resulting in fragmented care and additional pressures. Understaffed. Poor rota co-ordination.

Advice to Management

To recognise the importance of the workforce and that there are unique pressures in delivering care when patients are transferred from site to site

11. "Looks good from the outside"

I have been working at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really high quality physicians wanting to do good work
    Staff are there because they want to make a difference
    Appears like a great place to work from outside the organisation

Cons

Many staff feel that they aren't making a difference and are not valued
    Poor quality care (CQC rated "needs improvement")
    Poor morale
    Poor financial situation; In a deficit and may need to take a loan to pay staff
    High senior-level management turnover
    Constant restructuring business restructuring, which distracts clinical staff and takes the focus away from how to actually turn things around, operationally and financially
    Limited / No staff development
    High agency use
    Low levels of autonomy
    Bullying is accepted

Advice to Management

There is a reason private sector companies get paid significantly more than NHS managers...