Impinj Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Chris Diorio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Impinj has more pros than cons"

I worked at Impinj full-time

Pros

Open PTO, snacks, pay, camaraderie, company funded ORCA passes, fun corporate activities as well as departmental activities

Cons

No 401K match and little to no career advancement assistance. A little heavy on the VP front; consider investing in internal career advancement training.

Advice to Management

Provide career advancement training and/or support to a broader base of employees. Add 401K Match program.

"I am proud to be a part of this company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our engineering group is amazing, not only are they hardworking and brilliant. They are the nicest group of people to work with and they still find time to make everyone's day even better. Wouldn't you want to work with a team that is clever, smart, creative, hardworking, open to new ideas and willing to share their knowledge? I get to do so every single day. All of our other teams are just as passionate and focused on our success as well. It's a very good time to be at Impinj.

Cons

Culture's a little rough right now due to fast growth and transitions but I expect it to do nothing but improve at this point in time. We are expecting great things from a couple of recent VP hires in HR and Marketing.

Advice to Management

Chris Diorio - keep doing what you're doing. There's not a better equipped nor more passionate and respected leader out there.

"Subpar Pay, Above Par Snackbar, Obvious Class System, Lots of VPs, Poor Internal Vision/Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Impinj full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Well stocked snack bar & kitchen area. And I mean so well stocked the 6-figure salaried software engineers who can certainly afford snacks have been seen stuffing their backpacks after everyone else is mostly gone for the day
    - Unlimited PTO for nearly whatever reason. Do you have a doctor's appt? Repairman coming over? Need to take three weeks off to go cave diving in Australia? Sure.. there's no bank of sick or vacation time to pull from - which also means if/when you leave there's no cashout of accrued vacation
    - Flexible schedules for most positions
    - Beautiful office space - the building is literally <3 years old at this point. Conferencing systems are high tech
    - Technology is very prevalent in everything - from the conference rooms to the desk and computers supplied
    - Choice of Mac or Windows machines - you can even run Linux, if you want to be in the special flower club or like being mostly on your own for support
    - Bagels every Friday. If that's your thing. It also comes with a self-serving 'informal' formal Q&A session with the C-levels.

Cons

- The pay is subpar. In fact, they almost tout this as a badge of honor. They will pretty much tell you that if you want to make lots of money, Impinj is not the place to be. So...you're telling me you know you pay poorly, and don't care. But it's cool though, they use the unlimited PTO and the snackbar as ways to woo 'talent' from the other competitors in the area
    - Recruiting and hiring is a disorganized hot mess. The head recruiter doesn't care to follow process and procedure and just rams people into the system. Once that offer letter is signed, they're done and the supporting organizations are left to sort out the pieces
    - Many mysterious departures of management people. Sometimes it comes with many weeks or even months of advance notice (insert vague internal blog post here), sometimes the person is gone for weeks before the company as a whole is told
    - Weekly 'Bagel Friday' was initially a way for C-level staff to share with the company some of the goings-on that occurred earlier in the week. It quickly devolved into a 'you should be there' sort of thing where you can watch leadership toot their own horn
    - Anonymous feedback system sounds good, but then the leadership staff will address any questions or complaints during the Bagel Friday in such a way that it would intimidate staff not to bother putting in any substantive feedback. Side benefit – reading the comments (they are periodically posted internally) lets you realize just how entitled many of the staff are
    - Entitlement. Many of the engineering staff are highly intelligent people – seriously, there are some pure geniuses there that have pioneered RF and the RFID industry. And with that pure genius comes the dysfunction and social ineptness. Worked there for several years and there were people that never make eye contact, continually get your name wrong (despite corrections).
    - Leadership staff. Probably the only one worth his salt is the CEO. The rest are empty shirts. And it’s been VeePee-a-palooza. I think there’s a promotion roulette wheel in the Sales division. They minted like 5 VPs in one month – out of thin air. When someone leaves, they also like to readvertise the position at a much higher level than it was when the person was there
    - Class System – you’re either sales or engineering. If you’re anything else… you’re nothing, and treated as such. If you’re in a support org, expect to be at the whims of those two groups as to whether they want to follow procedure or even bother doing anything they’re supposed to do
    - Unlimited PTO means there’s no cashout if you should leave the company
    - Path of least resistance. A team in manufacturing is absolutely dysfunctional (think: people in ops roles that are simply way underqualified) and it’s obvious to everyone, however leadership doesn’t want to be bothered with fixing it so they let it be – despite spending money and time to shore it up
    - Time w/the company is more important than ability in many roles. Some people in middle management are simply only there
    - Breakfast club of employees that leave early because they arrive early via vanpool, but most of them sit in the kitchen for 3 hours every morning, and then an hour or two at lunch
    - Talk about a product that sounds cool, seems cool, but is never really shown to the employees. But it’s apparently real since they’re selling it. Yay! Do the work for the thing!

Advice to Management

Stop making useless VP positions. Break down the class structure - your support organizations are just as important as the eng and sales divisions.

Bagel Fridays are time that could be better spent working. If you want to send out an update, do so in an email

Transparency with people leaving and decisions about reposting positions at higher levels. It's demeaning when one of your supervisory staff leaves, and then it's reposted as a higher level position

Staff appropriately, especially in support organizations. A senior level person shouldn't be doing entry-level work because you won't come off a headcount to staff something like reception or helpdesk.

Make eye contact with your employees (CFO. COO. I mean you) and say hello. These are the people who are making you the products that make you the millions.

Compensate people what they are worth for the Seattle market. Seriously, free snacks and unlimited PTO are nice, but I can't pay the bills in bananas and chips.

4. "Operations Planner"

I have been working at Impinj full-time

Pros

Good culture, decent benefits, Average management.

Cons

Clicks, buddy systems keep below avg. employees employed.

"Not a welcoming/safe workplace for women or people with major disabilities."

Pros

Bright modern offices in a good location, free snacks/coffee, flexible work hours, and unlimited leave for FTE staff.

Cons

This company currently has far more male employees than women, and does not deal harassment in an effective manner or one which is likely to stop it happening again.

I had a male employee make an inappropriate comment directed at me, which I reported to HR. While HR acknowledged the comment was inappropriate, I was told, and this is a direct quote from an email "You must understand that the intent was good", I was also told verbally that "The intent was good, he just finds you attractive, and is expressing it inappropriately,"

The company a couple of months later moved that male employee from a desk downstairs to one right across the isle from me. At this point he started repeatedly trying to force me talk to him, even though he had been told not to speak to with me unless there was a specific business reason. When I refused engage with him, this situation quickly escalated to outright physical intimidation. I reported this to HR, but it took almost a week for the man to be spoken to and the situation got much worse in that time.

After he had been spoken to the direct physical intimidation stopped, but he would stand and stare at me from a distance, and find opportunities to walk just behind my shoulder so I could see him out of the corner of my eye.

I was told by HR and management that we would both be moved. This never happened. I was also told by management that I should leave the company if I did not feel safe.

As part of my interactions with HR around the original issue I disclosed a relevant history of a major disability due to 2 previous assaults, which affected my ability to deal with the harassment. The day after the company moved the man up from downstairs, I had to sit through a meeting as part of my work where HR spoke for 5-10 minutes about how the people who self report major disabilities are most likely lying to justify bad performance, and that doctors will sign off on this to avoid getting sued.

Advice to Management

Follow through on the values you pay lip service to.

"Working at Impinj"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- We hire amazing people
    - Team Collaboration is awesome
    - Fun Environment
    - Interesting Work

Cons

- We sometimes have too many meetings

"Seattle's BEST place to work"

Pros

- The people! This is the greatest community of individuals and I am excited to come into work every day. There are no egos and there is a huge sense of community
    - Countless opportunities for development and growth
    - Managers truly care about you as a person as well as your performance as an employee
    - Unlimited Paid Time Off- most people don't take advantage of this because work is such a great place to be
    - Free snacks (both healthy and the not so healthy) and the People, Environment and Culture team!
    - The work place is gorgeous- views of South Lake Union, Space Needle and Downtown, Mt. Baker on a clear day and the Olympics. It doesn't get any better.

Cons

It is growing at a rapid rate and work-life balance is typically the first to go.

Advice to Management

Focus on culture in this time of growth- continue to cultivate that and your employees will be your biggest advocates, cheerleaders, and recruiters.

"Working in the Lab/Clean Room"

Current Employee - Operations Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time

Pros

Provide free food and drinks. Company culture is very supportive and welcoming. RFID is a growing industry. Nice office setting. New docking stations for all employees. No hand me downs.

Cons

Small company and people tend to hang in "clicks".

"Great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Able to work from home as needed. Open ("unlimited") PTO policy means company trusts employees to get their work done around their personal schedules. Lots of talented and friendly people.

Cons

Engineering compensation is considerably lower than other companies in the area. Most engineering teams are understaffed. Project organization is very adhoc and chaotic. Poor direction form product marketing and the lack of program management is very obvious.

Advice to Management

When will we take engineering execution seriously? We want to be "big-time" but we are still staffed and organized like a startup.

"10 Years with Impinj"

Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Despite how far we have come in the decade that I have been with Impinj, it feels like there is still so much we are uniquely positioned to do. RAIN RFID can extend the reach of the internet to billions of items that might otherwise remain unconnected. We are not the company that we were just 3-4 years ago. It feels to me like we've kept all the good things about being a scrappy and hungry start-up company as we've transitioned into being an enterprise platform provider ready to scale to the next level.

Cons

Buckle up. At impinj I think you will be able to have a good work life balance. Impinj does not have predetermined limits on PTO, as long as the work gets done....yet there is always more opportunity that we want to address. So that is a bit of a dilemma!