Impinj Reviews | Glassdoor

Impinj Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2019

Found 66 reviews

3.1
Impinj CEO Chris Diorio (no image)
Chris Diorio

"Fun company with lots of opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Impinj for over 3 years and while there were some bumpy times in the middle we've seemed to have moved past that with a more solid leadership team. The company seems to have better direction now and a more realistic view of the roadmap ahead. The Engineering team is still quite small so there's a lot of opportunity to grow your role. The work/life balance is also very nice here. Work hours are... flexible and I'm able to work remotely when needed.

Cons

You need to be able to handle projects/priorities changing directions quartley. We'll see if that gets better with the new Engineering leadership, but the number of times a project scope has changed direction is too large.

Impinj2019-08-16

"Purpose, Autonomy, Mastery, and Free M&M's"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have had a long career as a software developer and I have worked for a wide variety of companies. Some of those places have been really amazing... but Impinj is my favorite. Every day, I get to help make something so high tech it borders on magic--something that is quietly changing the world. My job demands every ounce of experience, skill, meticulousness, determination, and creativity that I can muster.... My team manages a database with billions of rows of data that is in use 24 hours a day, every day, supporting Impinj's manufacturing processes around the globe. My team has a motto that I love: "We do not go down." In the three years that I've been there, we never have. That's not due to luck. Our apps are designed to keep working even when there are serious network outages--and to automatically recover when the network comes back online. We write rigorous tests for everything we do. We review every line of code that gets checked in. We do not wait for problems to come to us. We do not spend our time putting out fires. We monitor our systems so we see problems before our users do. A user-reported bug is a rare occurrence that is usually fixed (including additional automated tests) within a few hours. We look years into the future to ensure that our systems are ready for massive growth. We aggressively integrate the best tools we can find to make our work as effective as possible. We constantly improve what we've already built. Like the engine room on a cruise ship, no one notices us. That's the best compliment ever. --- If I want to talk to the CEO, I walk over and talk to him. Every quarter, the Senior VP of Operations comes by to shake each person's hand and thank them individually for their contributions. Every two weeks, for about an hour, everyone gathers in the commons (lovingly known as "The Center of the Universe") and upper management gives us a status report. They answer every question we ask. We introduce every new hire to the whole company--to enthusiastic applause. I have a profound appreciation for our CEO's values-driven approach to running Impinj. He treats employees and customers with heartfelt respect. He loves the product and understands it down to the bare metal. He wants Impinj to succeed by creating the best products on the market. That makes Impinj an extraordinary place to work.

Cons

The free M&M's are a nightmare.

Advice to Management

If I think of something to complain about, I'll come tell you.

Impinj2019-08-15
  3. "I feel very fortunate to work at Impinj!"

I have been working at Impinj full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My coworkers are amazing, my manager wants what is best for me and is open to helping me get there. Salary and benefits are great, and the culture has become a top priority here.

Cons

Silos have become a problem, management has openly admitted as such, and they seem committed to eliminating them. Accountability is still an issue and is being addressed.

Advice to Management

Raise the bar for yourselves and the employees, change is uncomfortable but necessary.

Impinj2019-08-13

"Great People, Great Culture, Great Challenge!"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the best place that I have worked, and I have worked for several companies, including two of the biggest in the technology field in the Seattle area. Impinj has a great company culture that hits the right side of the work/life balance, and a nice mix of hardware and software folks that are surprisingly diverse and have fun working together. The challenge that Impinj is tackling is something that I can... believe in and while it is ambitious for a company this size, I feel really good about our chances of success.

Cons

No 401(k) match, yet. No match for employee charitable donations or volunteer time, which is to be expected for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Don't let our stock investors, including me, distract you from the long-range view and the investments that we are making in research and development. As successful as our IPO was, I would much rather wait to see us realize those really big, world-changing goals.

Impinj2017-10-25

"I am proud to be a part of this company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time for less than a year

Pros

Our engineering group is amazing, not only are they hardworking and brilliant. They are the nicest group of people to work with and they still find time to make everyone's day even better. Wouldn't you want to work with a team that is clever, smart, creative, hardworking, open to new ideas and willing to share their knowledge? I get to do so every single day. All of our other teams are just as passionate and... focused on our success as well. It's a very good time to be at Impinj.

Cons

Culture's a little rough right now due to fast growth and transitions but I expect it to do nothing but improve at this point in time. We are expecting great things from a couple of recent VP hires in HR and Marketing.

Advice to Management

Chris Diorio - keep doing what you're doing. There's not a better equipped nor more passionate and respected leader out there.

Impinj2017-07-31

"Working at Impinj"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time for more than a year

Pros

- We hire amazing people - Team Collaboration is awesome - Fun Environment - Interesting Work

Cons

- We sometimes have too many meetings

Impinj2017-04-11

"Seattle's BEST place to work"

I have been working at Impinj

Pros

- The people! This is the greatest community of individuals and I am excited to come into work every day. There are no egos and there is a huge sense of community - Countless opportunities for development and growth - Managers truly care about you as a person as well as your performance as an employee - Unlimited Paid Time Off- most people don't take advantage of this because work is such a great place to be -... Free snacks (both healthy and the not so healthy) and the People, Environment and Culture team! - The work place is gorgeous- views of South Lake Union, Space Needle and Downtown, Mt. Baker on a clear day and the Olympics. It doesn't get any better.

Cons

It is growing at a rapid rate and work-life balance is typically the first to go.

Advice to Management

Focus on culture in this time of growth- continue to cultivate that and your employees will be your biggest advocates, cheerleaders, and recruiters.

Impinj2017-03-01

"10 Years with Impinj"

Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Despite how far we have come in the decade that I have been with Impinj, it feels like there is still so much we are uniquely positioned to do. RAIN RFID can extend the reach of the internet to billions of items that might otherwise remain unconnected. We are not the company that we were just 3-4 years ago. It feels to me like we've kept all the good things about being a scrappy and hungry start-up company as we've... transitioned into being an enterprise platform provider ready to scale to the next level.

Cons

Buckle up. At impinj I think you will be able to have a good work life balance. Impinj does not have predetermined limits on PTO, as long as the work gets done....yet there is always more opportunity that we want to address. So that is a bit of a dilemma!

Impinj2017-01-27

"Exciting company with high standards"

I have been working at Impinj full-time

Pros

Impinj has a differentiated offering in the IoT. It is a company that could be something really significant in that space. That's an exciting prospect and offers loads of opportunity to play a significant role in building something really meaningful.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and will experience growing pains. Expectations for performance are high across the board so you can't shrink from the challenge.

Advice to Management

Sprint to widen your lead, and stay true to your culture.

Impinj2017-01-24

"Impinj is a Winner!"

I have been working at Impinj full-time

Pros

Impinj is a company that has demonstrated excellence in all facets of our business. The technology is both established and strong, the business is thriving, the leadership is smart and well-coordinated, and the culture is one of a kind. It is a privilege being a member of the Impinj team!

Cons

Our challenges are where they should be - growth, scalability, and maintaining position as the market leader. We have clear vision and big goals. For those that thrive working in a fast pace culture, changing business environment, and have a winning desire - this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Please continue with your intentionality, open communication style, and your commitment to stay connected to the entire team.

Impinj2016-03-08