Impossible Foods Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2020

3.8
Impossible Foods Founder and CEO Patrick Brown
Patrick Brown
Pros
  • "At Impossible Foods, we care a great deal about promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace(in 8 reviews)

• "As someone very interested in food science I can say that it was cool to see what all the different groups were up to(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is a clear disconnect between the leadership team and the rest of the organization(in 3 reviews)

• "lower case, not the app), so it’s not the most telecommuter-friendly company in Silicon Valley(in 3 reviews)

1. "Inclusive company with lots of growth opportunities!"

Current Employee - People Team in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Inclusive company culture that values the input of its employees AND takes necessary/appropriate action. Incredible mission and innovative science! Great benefits. Very transparent. Smart and motivated colleagues.

Cons

Although the company promotes an inclusive culture that values employee feedback and input, it is lacking in diversity (but improving). Very fast paced work environment where goals tend to change often and a flexible work ethic is needed (not always a con).

"So grateful to work for Impossible"

Current Employee - People Team in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

We want to save the planet and as many animals as we can. I have a hardworking, fun and empathetic team with zero drama. The company’s leaders lead with transparency. Pat Brown is my hero.

Cons

Fast paced, nimble and ever shifting environment. If you need all the answers to do your job, this is not the place for you. Things are guaranteed to change. I do wish we had more access to our own CPO.

3. "Fast paced"

Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Energetic and committed to mission

Cons

Short sighted and different perspectives aren’t always accepted

"Cool Mission Obscures Poor Culture"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product is (right now) one of the best in the market. Growth potential is high.

Cons

Not surprising that the recent positive reviews are from recruiters. The product and the company's culture are surprisingly opposite. While the product is progressive and cutting edge, the culture inside feels like a 1980's corporation. There are definite examples of nepotism and the executive team is all male and all white with one exception. So are the new 2nd in line leaders those executives have put into place. Career paths don't exist so progression is pretty rogue and definitely political. There are several examples of very talented and motivated folks leaving the company for this reason. What to expect day to day: There isn't that fun chatter and friendliness that you expect from a typical start up in the bay area. It's pretty stodgy and awkward and there are odd tensions within and between teams. Worklife balance is supposedly important but the leadership doesn't act like they really care about it or embody it. It's hard to understand what the company truly cares about beyond growing revenue. Surprisingly, there is no obvious culture for a very mission driven product. The company hasn't had to compete yet with the big dogs in silicon valley like Google, Facebook, LinkedIn on culture for talent, so it's focusing on growing its wallet. Culture and politics are Impossible's Achilles' heel so I can see why people go somewhere else. Think carefully before coming here!

Continue reading
  5. "Nimble and strong, yet still in bloom"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Top notch branded products Buy in from world class investors Product Innovation on lock Top flight research in biotech Catered meals every day A small library on a variety of food science related fields Sensory panel training Open source collaboration

Cons

Not enough time in a day to perform the job needed in an A+ manner, while still have a job life balance. Mission is ambitious, yet imperative, in a wasteful world that has been perpetuated by external factors that we internalize as the Silicon Valley Superhero task force.

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing leadership team strongly driven by the mission and values which trickles down through out the company - Great Benefits - Great work life balance with ample PTO and holidays - Passionate work that is changing the world!

Cons

Start-up with a lot of work ahead of us. Not a negative, but moreso a challenge

"Great Company and IT Team!!"

Current Employee - IT Support Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, amazing IT Team , Opportunities to learn new skills. Achievements is recognized.

Cons

None, great place to work

"Great Mission, Great place to work, with rapid growth"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have never worked at a company that cares as much for its employees as Impossible Foods. This has been seen personally with me, and with a multitude of my teammates in our work-life balance, career progression planning. The pace is fast which creates new opportunities. This company has fast-tracked my career. I could not ask for more. If you find the right team, it can be a wonderful place to work. End up on the wrong team and it can be hell. Management has an invested interest in seeing you succeed and encourages you to achieve your goals within the company. The office culture cannot be duplicated. You can walk up to anyone in the office, and they are more than happy to help you in every single way that they can. Including executives. Having the ability to walk up to your CEO or VP and have them know you by name and answer your questions is remarkable. Overall, work hard, play hard and you will fit in just fine. A great mission and path for advancement.

Cons

Deadlines and changes that are fast and huge take more effort and dedication but not unexpected for an ambitious startup. Nothing really bad to say.

"Finance/ Accounting"

1.0
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Lakeway, TX

I worked at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product ground breaking technology.

Cons

Wrong hires in the wrong position. It’s isn’t a good time to go IPO not because of market conditions but because the.Accounting infrastructure isn’t complaint and is horribly dysfunctional

Continue reading

"Gender Equity at Impossible Foods"

Current Employee - Chief People Officer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Impossible Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

At Impossible Foods, we care a great deal about promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace. In the spirit of measuring our progress to provide transparency, we audited the demographics at every level of the company and found the following (as of July 2019): 20% of direct reports to the CEO are women 22% of senior executives (SVP or higher) are women 60% of VPs across the company are women 56% of Directors across the company are women 66% of Directors and VPs within our core R&D function are women. 47% of Senior Managers are women 54% of our non-manufacturing employees overall are women; our Oakland facility is 24% women.

Cons

Admittedly, there are other dimensions of diversity and inclusion where we need to make inroads. We strive to make progress with every hire and every promotion. We are mission driven and care deeply about our planet and its future...which can mean long hours and wearing many hats. But our cause requires that. If you want to help make a difference, join the team -- we are hiring!

Found 55 reviews