Imprivata Reviews | Glassdoor

Imprivata Chief Executive Officer Gus Malezis
Gus Malezis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance is nonexistent, and the inmates are in charge of the asylum" (in 6 reviews)

• "Upper-Management can be very strict towards interns" (in 7 reviews)

"Professional Services: the fastest growing team by multiple measures"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Imprivata full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Imprivata's professional services team back in 2013 and I feel as lucky to be here now as I did then. At the time the company was pre-IPO and growing fast, at around 250 employees. Since then we have gone public, then private again under TB, and along the way we doubled to about 500 employees. But the small company culture prevails. We went from two products, to five, two of which have evolved to full-blown platforms that spawned their own suite of solutions touching clinical workflows (like EPCS that are grew faster than any other product under state regulatory requirements and is now poised to rocket forward under a national DEA mandate) and for the first time, medical devices (creating the fastest growing partner ecosystem in the company's history). All the while, our professional services team has grown in terms of team size and financial impact to the company, and has successfully led our customers through new challenges unique to the healthcare vertical. But even after all the years and expansion, I can still look around and see nearly all of the same faces that were on the team when I started. A handful that left to try a new adventure elsewhere even ended up returning.

Having spent my career in services, and having worked with healthcare customers from payers to providers, large and small and all over North America, I can tell you that no plan, no customer, no project, and no product is ever perfect. But it's the people we work with, on our Imprivata team and our customer teams, that make an effort successful. This team has time and time again made one another and our customers successful by working together, in an expanding set of challenges and on a growing scale. And it is this team mentality that has kept me happy at, and growing with the company.

I literally walk around our headquarters and know nearly everyone's name (I'm still getting to know some of the new ones). We have histories and friendships, war stories and success stories, that map the history and maturation of this company we helped build. I am proud to see what Imprivata is today, and proud of my contribution. And I have zero doubt that we will continue our growth trajectory in 2019 and beyond.

Cons

Both a pro and a con: the management structure is relatively flat, so the opportunities to move into management and upward within management come around less frequently than at a big company. But a) I've worked for giant companies and prefer a smaller one in part because I can affect more change without a title than I could with one, and b) I have seen promotions based on merit nearly all of the time here. You have to play your position and play it better than anyone, regardless of title. Do that, throw your hat in the ring when an opening arises, and you'll get the promotion eventually. Also, make sure you DO the job and others see you doing the job, if you want to GET the job. That's kind of how it works here.

Advice to Management

Proactive promotions achieve greater long-term value for employee and employer than reactive promotions. Understand the outside market for your strongest contributors is very strong and be proactive about retaining and growing them here.

"Growing and Fun"

I have been working at Imprivata full-time

Pros

Imprivata has been really evolving. Working to keep the culture of a fun and entrepreneurial company while ensuring profitability and viability. There is always food around, with ample opportunities for folks to gather both for work, and fun. Also lots of fantastic volunteerism opportunities. More than just saying they care, Imprivata actually does the work. One really interesting thing about Imprivata is the amount of Engineering expertise at the top. This is not your stereotypical senior management team, but a group of player coaches who ask tough questions and help everyone no matter the level of the task.

Cons

There will be challenges in the future to keep the smaller company culture as they grow, but right now it's working.

Advice to Management

Keep working to balance growth and culture.

3. "Ok place for the right people"

I worked at Imprivata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive workplace with the right oportunities
    Good market
    Good engineering challenges

Cons

People don't matter much
    Few have the powers

Jan 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We place great priority on our employees and are always looking for ways to create opportunity, development, and positive experiences for all. It... More

4. "Professionals"

I worked at Imprivata full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a degree of professionalism that keeps everyone engaged with what they do. Managers are nice and willing to put a good word in for hard workers

Cons

Some problems with projects being not well defined

Jan 8, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback and for recognizing that hard work pays off.

Kelliann McCabe
    Chief People Officer

"Running Out of Time"

I worked at Imprivata full-time

Pros

Large customer base, solid products, a lot of smart people, good reputation among customers

Cons

Imprivata's complete dominance in the healthcare "Tap-in/Tap-out" and SSO space has been very good for the company's growth over the last 10+ years. However, the market is largely saturated. Imprivata has introduced new products to sell to existing customers, but the majority of those products have been flops and none have proven to be anywhere near the revenue generator of the flagship product. Imprivata will be able to sustain itself for a long time on their recurring maintenance & support revenue, but they are going to struggle to meet growth expectations if they don't introduce innovative products that fill a recognized need. There have been a lot of employee departures recently, largely driven by the fact that the "excitement" of growth and the potential for a "payout" have largely died.

Advice to Management

If you want to continue to grow, either surprise us all by quickly introducing a new product that has a true recognized need in the market place, or acquire one. And do it fast. Otherwise, your growth will slip to single digits and your market value will take a nose dive.

6. "Sales Representative"

I worked at Imprivata full-time

Pros

Solid product, growing opportunity, solid customer base

Cons

Territories unbalanced, HITEC causing economic uncertainty and longer sales cycles

Advice to Management

None

Oct 24, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Imprivata has great products and customers and we appreciate the recognition. Like many we experience continuous growing pains and we can assure you that we always keep the employees best interest in... More

"Imprivata cares about their employees"

I have been working at Imprivata full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Imprivata appreciates and recognizes hard work and dedication. Recently 18 people under one organization within Imprivata were promoted and recognized for their excellence at what they do. There is also a real healthy vibe around wellness which is a direct correlation to employee happiness and performance. Work is work and its not always easy, but working for a company that supports you and has your back during those times of high pressure is the best environment to be in. I see this support throughout every department in Imprivata. Great place to be. Great place to grow. Great place to feel appreciated.

Cons

No direct commuter rail into Lexington

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what your doing; recognizing those within the company that are dedicated, hard working and have the right attitude to push through when things get a little tough.

"Once a Great Company....Headed for the Trash Heap, Thanks to Management"

I have been working at Imprivata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The software is top notch and the people I work with are terrific. I used to rave about this company and look forward to coming to work. That was then,,,

Cons

This is Now...Since the purchase by Thomabravo, the work/life balance has disappeared. Reviews and raises are based on factors that employees have no control over and employees have become pawns in a numbers game. Management sees no problem in having us travel for six days in a week, four weeks in a month, with no compensation. Raises are calculated based on billable hours, which are assigned by the project managers, and the VP buries his head in the sand and lets anything happen, so long as his numbers look good. Professional Services is headed for an implosion on a large scale and upper management is content to let it happen. Stay as far away from this company as you can get,

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see what's happening in your ranks, if you care. When veteran employees start leaving the company, it's not because they're seeking better opportunities. They're fed up with being treated like second-class citizens in favor of a leaner bottom line. This is not the company Omar and David founded, it's a monster that you let get out of hand. Treat your employees well, and you'll get your healthy profit. Treat them poorly and someone else will benefit from your abuse.

"Upper management are all trying and failing to be the next Steve Jobs."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Imprivata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The software teams themselves are actually trying to continue to improve and get better as individuals and a unit. Including soliciting advice from both inside and outside the company. They are the ones driving success, not c level leadership.
    The company cares about work/life balance. Flexible hours and vacation help that.
    People up to my product director we’re very willing to take honest feedback and also give it. I felt I got career and personal growth because of their input, but I had to be proactive to receive it.
    Day to day, most work is at the dev team level, and was a good experience for me.

Cons

Every 3 months upper management will spend an entire day telling the entire company about some new paradigm that one of the big 4 are using and that we’re now going to adopt to drive us to success like they have. The topic is then never mentioned again, but the expectations of improved performance remain.
    When upper management talk, the ratio of meaningless buzzword to actual substance is 20:1.
    My individual team was short at the product owner level, so it was really hard to get clear direction on projects, often leading to re-written code and wasted time.

Advice to Management

Stop trying shoehorn what works elsewhere into Imprivata. It isn’t working and causes fatigue. “We’ll be just like google” is not something that happens overnight, but you seem to expect it to. It causes change fatigue that makes it harder to adopt the next paradigm.

Apr 10, 2018 – Chief People Officer

We are glad to hear that you were able to learn and grow during your time at Imprivata and that you recognize that Imprivata supports a work life/balance. We are sorry to hear about your negative... More

"It’s been great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Imprivata full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews about Imprivata engineering lately. They’re not wrong, but these problems are limited to one particular subgroup and do not reflect on the rest of the department.

The rest of engineering enjoys a relatively low-stress work environment, great work/life balance, meaningful work with happy customers, and great colleagues. I’ve been working in the industry for decades and have enjoyed my time here more than at any other company. We are making a real difference.

Cons

The cloud team. Terribly managed and seems to always be in death march mode. Work/life balance is nonexistent, and the inmates are in charge of the asylum.

Advice to Management

Architects do not make good managers.

Apr 10, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We encourage work/life balance throughout all groups at Imprivata and we are glad that employees are having that type of experience.

Kelliann McCabe