Improv Comedy Club Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Excellent atmosphere"

Former Employee - Cashier/Receptionist in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Receptionist in Ventura, CA

I worked at Improv Comedy Club (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture and atmosphere. Fun team to work with day in and day out. Senior management understanding yet firm. Excellent experience.

Cons

Late nights and sometimes difficult to get time off approved since there are so many staff members and so many spaces.

2. "The Improv Comedy Club in Woodfield Mall is Not a Professional Organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- My specific position was the easiest job I've ever had.
    - Comedy shows are a lot of fun, and you'll get a chance to see them on a regular basis, either in between responsibilities at work, or through free tickets offered by management.
    - Being open only on weekend nights means there is a good chance at a good work-life balance.
    - Servers can make relatively good money.

Cons

I originally was going to give this a two-star overall simply to not have my review disregarded by people as being spiteful. However, I decided to be honest and give it a one-star. This is honestly the worst managed place I've ever worked. I took a job in the box office as a side job--I was gainfully employed and simply wanted something to fill my time on weekends, which this job did nicely.

I accepted a low-ball hourly wage because I didn't need the money. I knew what the other employees had started at, but I accepted less.

Throughout my time there, all I experienced was incompetent management. This is the kind of part-time, low-commitment job that typically is reserved for people without a lot of work experience, which could explain why management tends to not regard the voice of their employees with any respect. However, the management at this club is an embarrassment to any derivative of the word "manage".

- Faulty or broken equipment--including that which was vital to being able to perform the job--was never replaced in the 19 months I was there.

- For 13 months I had asked to be transferred to a different position--one which they were always hiring for and for which I had experience. During those 13 months I was consistently told that they would be willing after they filled my current position. During those 13 months over 40 people were hired for my desired position. Over 15 people had applied for my current position. Zero of the 15 people received a call back on their application. Three times someone was hired in my department--only after another employee had left the company.

- Management did not like to support their employees with regards to the public. If a customer asked for a manager, management would simply undermine the requesting employee by dictating what should be said, apparently assuming the employee did not know policy, would not respond in a timely fashion, or would simply not respond at all.

- In cases where a manager wouldn't respond, or would simply dictate how they'd prefer the employee to handle the situation, management would later criticize the employee's actions, and often tell them that they should have asked for a manager if they were unsure.

- In many cases where a manager gave specific directions regarding a unique situation, they would later criticize the employee for not following policy on the solution, or simply say "I never told you to say/do that."

- In the event that an employee upheld policy and a manager was requested, management would succumb to the customer by correcting the employee publicly, and then offering free tickets, food, or drinks to the customer, later blaming the employee for costing the club money.

- Management would not follow their own policy, causing countless situations where an employee would be stuck between deciding to act according to policy, or act according to the expected response of management.

- Management acted spitefully and would often write-up employees for being involved in situations that inconvenienced management, despite no policy being broken.

- Employees were constantly scheduled outside of their availability, and told they were responsible for covering the shifts one way or another. Employees began simply re-arranging the schedule themselves. Every 3-6 months, management would be upset when they saw a different employee show up for a shift--despite this happening every day--and would reprimand both employees involved without making an attempt to correct the scheduling.

- Management maintained close personal or family relationships with many employees which led to divisive behavior among employees.

- Employees are supposed to have 12 month reviews which also determine raises. I was never told we get reviews, found out by accident, and asked after 14 months to have my review. I asked again every month until I quit on my 19th month. I never got my review.

In full disclosure, my experience with Improv ended when I had given my two-weeks notice in person. I continued getting scheduled. I asked why that was, and I was told I hadn't given my two-weeks in writing, and that I was needed for these shifts as my replacement hadn't been determined. I continued showing up for my scheduled shifts. I received a text from my manager asking me why I was still coming in. I explained. I was told my position was filled and that she didn't have hours for me. I agreed and told her I'd still cover any shifts needed now or in the future, but that I was not looking to remain on the schedule (something very common among long-standing employees).

The next day I began receiving texts and messages asking why I had been fired. I asked management if I was fired. I was told to come in to discuss. I came in to discuss and was greeted by a co-worker who told me she'd have to ask for permission to let me in to the club. I was given permission, spoke with my manager, and was told I was not fired, and that my position was simply filled.

Two weeks later, I was informed by another (former) co-worker that staff and other management were still under the impression that I was fired or left on bad terms.

- Bottom line is, it's possible many of these occurrences could have been personal or in response to my quality as an employee, but there are ways that a professional organization handles those matters. The Improv Comedy Club in Woodfield Mall is not a professional organization.

Advice to Management

Take management classes, invest in training, show support for your employees, show competency in your own policies, and handle yourself with professionalism.

3. "Great Place to work!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New experiences every week with new famous comedians.
    Fun down to earth management.
    Great food.
    Great employee incentives.
    Good money vs hours worked.

Cons

There really is no cons, it's a very fun and flexible weekend job. Maybe only drawback is losing your weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Promote from within. Always have the staffs back in most if not all situations.

5. "Poorly managed"

Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy getting to meet famous comedians
    It is an easy job and has low expectations
    It is all evening hours
    It is a relaxed atmosphere
    It's pretty hard to get fired, even if you are bad at your job

Cons

The managers really don't care very much whether or not you do a good job, which sounds nice, but is frustrating when working with other employees that adopt that attitude and it interferes with your ability to make money.

Advice to Management

Increase the tip amount to 20%

6. "the fun job"

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

convenient hours
    fast paced
    meet the comics

Cons

work on the weekends
    sometimes way understaffed

7. "Fun work environment. Much more entertaining than a typical bar or club."

Current Employee - Security/Doorman in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Security/Doorman in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top national comedians performing every week. Benefits outweigh the cons

Cons

Pay and structure. Under paid and appreciated for the amount of work we do, but is just a part time job.

Advice to Management

More management, the servers who bring in the money get away with anything and everything. Could be much more efficient.

8. "Fun atmosphere, fast-paced work environment"

Former Employee - Food in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Food in Houston, TX

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close-knit company with understanding management. If you were late, had to leave early, and were a good employee management was quick to accommodate. The actual employees are hit and miss, which is common in the food industry. Many faces didn't last too long but overall there is a good core of people who find it hard to leave.

Cons

Though it pays fairly decent for food service, the employees are generally overworked. The large sections of people each employee has to handle causes large hangups elsewhere in the company during a show.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees more like employees than friends, everyone would be better off!

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Improv Comedy Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Chance to meet comedians that perform at venue

Cons

Cons of this opportunity would be:
    1. Overworked and under paid
    2. Cannot ever get a clear or straight answer from upper management.
    3. Treated as another number who can be replaced at anytime.
    4. The values & morals of the owners are quite questionable.
    5. Required to travel for training but must put all charges on personal credit card and then jump through hoops in order to get reimbursed.
    6. Unfortunate to see men & woman not treated equally in this day and age.
    7. Treated as though you are below the owners and upper management
    8. Lack of clear communication.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and treat employees like you would want someone to treat you or your family.

10. "The Improv Comedy Club"

Current Employee - Sound Guy in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sound Guy in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Improv Comedy Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, Free tickets, Good pay, comfortable work environment. Laid back managers that you can respect because you know that they respect you.

Cons

The place is kind of dirty sometimes, and you have to deal with drunk customers, people who try to walk out on their bill, and people who get mad when the comedian makes fun of them.

Advice to Management

I have none. I think the place is managed well.

11. "Hard work"

Former Employee - Server in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Improv Comedy Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You make lots of cash on busy nights only

Cons

Lots of running around a big facility

Advice to Management

management is unorganized and catty.