Improv Comedy Club Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great fun good food"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Improv Comedy Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good adult entertaiment. Fun and safe. Great comedians.

Cons

Sometimes it is very crowded and busy takes awhile for a drink to be delivered to you.

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Improv Comedy Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with top tier comedy talent. Generally a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Upper management tends to be disconnected from what each individual clubs needs are. Redundant paperwork. Terrible communication within the company. No real structure.

Advice to Management

Clubs are in different cities which means they have VERY DIFFERENT MARKETS. They are NOT all the same. LISTEN to your managers. That's what they're there for. There's a reason that this company has lost a fair amount of managers over the last few years. It should be an honor for anyone to work for a legendary company like the Improv, and that includes upper management. Just remember, we all have/had the same goals in mind. Let your people do what they're paid to do.

3. "Comedy club madness"

I have been working at Improv Comedy Club part-time

Pros

Good money once you get the hang

Cons

You dread going to work because of dumb customers but that's almost every job these days

4. "Understaffed"

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time

Pros

Got to meet big name comedians

Cons

Always called in to cover other people's shift

Advice to Management

Treat employees more like people and less like dispensable objects

5. "Nope"

Pros

Great tips
    Get to watch shows
    Meet celebs

Cons

Management sucks
    Favoritism
    Angry customers
    Rules are different for everyone

Advice to Management

Reward people for hardwork. Don't play favoritism

6. "The Improv Comedy Club in Woodfield Mall is Not a Professional Organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- My specific position was the easiest job I've ever had.
    - Comedy shows are a lot of fun, and you'll get a chance to see them on a regular basis, either in between responsibilities at work, or through free tickets offered by management.
    - Being open only on weekend nights means there is a good chance at a good work-life balance.
    - Servers can make relatively good money.

Cons

I originally was going to give this a two-star overall simply to not have my review disregarded by people as being spiteful. However, I decided to be honest and give it a one-star. This is honestly the worst managed place I've ever worked. I took a job in the box office as a side job--I was gainfully employed and simply wanted something to fill my time on weekends, which this job did nicely.

I accepted a low-ball hourly wage because I didn't need the money. I knew what the other employees had started at, but I accepted less.

Throughout my time there, all I experienced was incompetent management. This is the kind of part-time, low-commitment job that typically is reserved for people without a lot of work experience, which could explain why management tends to not regard the voice of their employees with any respect. However, the management at this club is an embarrassment to any derivative of the word "manage".

- Faulty or broken equipment--including that which was vital to being able to perform the job--was never replaced in the 19 months I was there.

- For 13 months I had asked to be transferred to a different position--one which they were always hiring for and for which I had experience. During those 13 months I was consistently told that they would be willing after they filled my current position. During those 13 months over 40 people were hired for my desired position. Over 15 people had applied for my current position. Zero of the 15 people received a call back on their application. Three times someone was hired in my department--only after another employee had left the company.

- Management did not like to support their employees with regards to the public. If a customer asked for a manager, management would simply undermine the requesting employee by dictating what should be said, apparently assuming the employee did not know policy, would not respond in a timely fashion, or would simply not respond at all.

- In cases where a manager wouldn't respond, or would simply dictate how they'd prefer the employee to handle the situation, management would later criticize the employee's actions, and often tell them that they should have asked for a manager if they were unsure.

- In many cases where a manager gave specific directions regarding a unique situation, they would later criticize the employee for not following policy on the solution, or simply say "I never told you to say/do that."

- In the event that an employee upheld policy and a manager was requested, management would succumb to the customer by correcting the employee publicly, and then offering free tickets, food, or drinks to the customer, later blaming the employee for costing the club money.

- Management would not follow their own policy, causing countless situations where an employee would be stuck between deciding to act according to policy, or act according to the expected response of management.

- Management acted spitefully and would often write-up employees for being involved in situations that inconvenienced management, despite no policy being broken.

- Employees were constantly scheduled outside of their availability, and told they were responsible for covering the shifts one way or another. Employees began simply re-arranging the schedule themselves. Every 3-6 months, management would be upset when they saw a different employee show up for a shift--despite this happening every day--and would reprimand both employees involved without making an attempt to correct the scheduling.

- Management maintained close personal or family relationships with many employees which led to divisive behavior among employees.

- Employees are supposed to have 12 month reviews which also determine raises. I was never told we get reviews, found out by accident, and asked after 14 months to have my review. I asked again every month until I quit on my 19th month. I never got my review.

In full disclosure, my experience with Improv ended when I had given my two-weeks notice in person. I continued getting scheduled. I asked why that was, and I was told I hadn't given my two-weeks in writing, and that I was needed for these shifts as my replacement hadn't been determined. I continued showing up for my scheduled shifts. I received a text from my manager asking me why I was still coming in. I explained. I was told my position was filled and that she didn't have hours for me. I agreed and told her I'd still cover any shifts needed now or in the future, but that I was not looking to remain on the schedule (something very common among long-standing employees).

The next day I began receiving texts and messages asking why I had been fired. I asked management if I was fired. I was told to come in to discuss. I came in to discuss and was greeted by a co-worker who told me she'd have to ask for permission to let me in to the club. I was given permission, spoke with my manager, and was told I was not fired, and that my position was simply filled.

Two weeks later, I was informed by another (former) co-worker that staff and other management were still under the impression that I was fired or left on bad terms.

- Bottom line is, it's possible many of these occurrences could have been personal or in response to my quality as an employee, but there are ways that a professional organization handles those matters. The Improv Comedy Club in Woodfield Mall is not a professional organization.

Advice to Management

Take management classes, invest in training, show support for your employees, show competency in your own policies, and handle yourself with professionalism.

7. "Excellent atmosphere"

Former Employee - Cashier/Receptionist in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Receptionist in Ventura, CA

I worked at Improv Comedy Club (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture and atmosphere. Fun team to work with day in and day out. Senior management understanding yet firm. Excellent experience.

Cons

Late nights and sometimes difficult to get time off approved since there are so many staff members and so many spaces.

8. "Bartender"

I worked at Improv Comedy Club full-time

Pros

Short work weeks and short hours. Made roughly 800 a week working less than 25 hours a week.

Cons

Management was not very involved. The bar had very little added tip potential. Made nearly all tips through server tip out.

9. "Great Place to work!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I worked at Improv Comedy Club part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New experiences every week with new famous comedians.
    Fun down to earth management.
    Great food.
    Great employee incentives.
    Good money vs hours worked.

Cons

There really is no cons, it's a very fun and flexible weekend job. Maybe only drawback is losing your weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Promote from within. Always have the staffs back in most if not all situations.

10. "Fun job"

I worked at Improv Comedy Club full-time

Pros

Watch comedy fun work environment

Cons

Upper management knows comedy doesn't know restaurants

Advice to Management

Listen to employees at the club level