In-N-Out Burger Reviews | Glassdoor

In-N-Out Burger Reviews

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great pay, works great with school schedule (in 133 reviews)

• Fast paced learning environment (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be stressful if you cant handle a very fast paced environment (in 79 reviews)

• The job itself can get a little bit stressful at times (in 20 reviews)

1. "Work you like dogs, break labor laws all the time, to justify them paying you well."

Former Employee - Associate in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, you get a free burger after every shift, some of the coworkers are nice, that's everything that is a pro to working here

Cons

Work you like dogs, have been yelled at for wanting to drink water during a rush, have been yelled at for wanting to use the restroom during a rush, these managers want to get there bonuses so bad that they break laws to achieve them, not giving you your break on time for example. The people get way to personal with you. People get more training time based off of personal friendship with manager to get more promotions, if you try and excel and take on new positions they laugh at you for wanting to try and put you down. The environment gets very hostile during rushes, and everyone is so stressed out you can't say a word without getting yelled at by 3 different people at once. Yelling is in n outs favorite thing to do to its employees, I have been told talking wasn't aloud in the work place while working because I'm not getting paid to talk and work I'm getting paid just to work. Just an all around awful experience and you should really consider how hard your working and how poorly management treats its employees before accepting a job here

Advice to Management

Calm down

2. "2/10"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-free meal
    -some of the coworkers are great

Cons

Working at in n out had to be the absolute worst summer of my life. The hiring process took well over a month and the job itself was terrible. They constantly schedule too many people to the point where there was nothing for me to do and I just ended up scrubbing dishes and taking trash out, which was not what I was hired to do. I would constantly be sent home an hour or sometimes two hours early just to allow someone else to work. The pay is good but in no way worth it. One shift manger in particular was absolutely awful. He was very unfair and had me do everything. I never heard him treat any of the other associates the way he treated me. I'm going to be quitting very soon and never returning.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of selecting shift managers and ask employees for feedback on them. The actual manager is almost never around making it easy for the shift managers to act however they want

"Terrible management and co workers"

Former Employee - Level I in Placentia, CA
    Former Employee - Level I in Placentia, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quitting, the manager getting fired for sexual harassment, the free meal at the end of the shift

Cons

The people who run it, the unset schedules, the phoniness, smelling like a burger

Advice to Management

Be nice and genuine

"Level 5"

Current Employee - Level V in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Level V in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros... Ummmm. The only pros are the benefits. The 401k and benefits for the part time associates are amazing, really they are.

Cons

I think I really laugh when everyone says they pay is great. $10.00-12.00 working in 100 degree heat slaving away all day is not great pay. The starting wage for fast food is better than most, sure, but you can't live off of $12 an hour unless you're a HS or college student living with family or working full time. Not working 20 hours per week. Not in Cali. The favoritism between management is ridiculous. It's starting to get amusing and after awhile the pieces of the puzzle all start coming together. You realize who is sleeping with you to get to the position they're at and that's the way it goes.

Advice to Management

Start having some respect for the associates who actually really care about your prized possessions.... You know, the one who signs our paychecks--the customers.

"Level 2 Associate"

Former Employee - Level II Associate in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Level II Associate in Oceanside, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. That's the only reason I worked hard and put up with their bull crap for almost a year.

Cons

Where do I begin? I thought working at In N Out would be fun, exciting and a great learning experience. It isn't. Working at In N Out is like being in high school all over again. Managers have favorites, higher up levels are snobby and will pick on you for the smallest mistakes. When you're first starting to learn order taking and you get tiny mistakes wrong, you'll get called back every time for a chat about what you're doing wrong, and they'll make you feel like crap. If you don't bleed In N Out, you're not considered a priority associate, even if you do work hard. Everyone is fake. There are the people who are die hard In N Out associates that kiss up to managers, and those who work hard, but can't move up because they're not on the managers' favorite list. In my year of working there, I never once got off in time. They never follow the schedules. Managers also love to play the guilt card and persuade you to work longer hours because they either want to go home, or they let someone off too early and now you have to pay the price. Managers are jokes. They're basically just higher paid associates with a lack of understanding about business. They also get switched around stores a lot which makes it very hard to get comfortable with a manager you like. Moving up levels at In N Out is easy if you want to give up your life. If you're not working at least 5 days a week, you're nothing important. It's also hard to work 5 days a week to begin with because they hire SO MANY PEOPLE ALL THE TIME. In N Out never stops hiring. I was lucky I was in the first hire group of last year, and started off with 4 days a week. But with all the new hires, I got to 1 day a week and basically had to beg others to let me cover their shifts. Bottom line is: This place sucks. In N Out is great to their customers but horrible to their associates. This place is run like a dictatorship and is very unfair. So glad I stopped working there.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and actually learn something about running a business.

"this place sucks"

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time

Pros

getting breaks and getting paid

Cons

a lot of the managers are fake. they are not your friends. do not trust them. every day is an awesome opportunity to get written up. pretty much all of the employees at my store were written up at some point. i'm so glad i left. i don't think i would have minded getting fired though.

Advice to Management

you guys blow. you're fake. the fries are cooked in cottonseed oil. the pink lemonade is heavily concentrated and diluted with water. customers have a right to know what they are consuming. innout is awesome for customers, horrible for employees. i'm so glad i left.

7. "All about the politics..."

Former Employee - Level 6/Clean Up
    Former Employee - Level 6/Clean Up

I worked at In-N-Out Burger (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay to do nothing really. Free food on every shift. Some of the people are pretty cool, it all depends on which store you are at.

Cons

Management is horrible. pretty much anyone can be a manager as long as you put the time in. This might seem good but it puts people in management that have no business being there. The level of favoritism that happens there is ridiculous. The favorites get moved into management, the employees resent them because they see how it works, and then they hate them because they become horrible managers. The cycle goes on. Hire crap managers, they train crap managers. The pay is basically hush money, it's enough to keep you quiet.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Don't sit in the office all day. Don't play favorites, employees that work hard should be progressed through faster, not the ones that are lazy and have big racks.

8. "Challenging"

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, most of the coworkers are fun!

Cons

Cleaning up in a fast pace, being alone in the dining room as a new hire

Advice to Management

Be nicer to the new associates, they don't know much things

9. "No longer a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Level 7
    Current Employee - Level 7

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay for those with no experience

Cons

Company treats employees horribly and saves managers anyway possible, even at the cost of multiple employees

10. "Great place to work, high energy, fast pace."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Flexible schedule, constantly busy, never stop moving, good training and room for growth.

Cons

Late shifts can sometimes be a burden if you're not use to it.