In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Rothbard

Pros
Cons
  • If not hitting goal you are making minimum wage while working full time (in 7 reviews)

• low pay, not a lot of room for advancement, all about the members (in 5 reviews)

1. "In transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time

Pros

Fun industry filled with employees who try their best. Most gym employees genuinely want to help people get healthier.

Cons

Company is in major transition. They've turned over most of their executive team, reorganized, and changed the compensation plan so many times. Benefits are terrible-limited and expensive.

"Responsible for the overall operation of the club and producing new memberships"

Current Employee - General Manager in Salinas, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Salinas, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An opportunity to help change people's lives. We get to meet and encourage some amazing people. We can improve our own health.

Cons

Not a very transparent business and they don't solicit feedback from their employees. They don't genuinely care about their employees

Advice to Management

Create a positive culture in the corporate offices down to the clubs. Become a true wellness business. Hold middle management accountable for their behavior.

"Lots of problems, where do I start?"

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free membership. Some of the managers are great.

Cons

High pressure sales. Not enough training. Managers are too busy. Sales team was men only and I was treated differently because of my gender.

Advice to Management

More training needed involving training.

"Not a career"

Former Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Vacaville, CA

Pros

With your employment you receive a free gym membership

Cons

Management is terrible or non-existent. The turnover is so immense you cannot even learn people's names before they are gone. I was lucky to have a great Manager, but due to In-Shape not caring about their employees he left. Once he left, everything went downhill and I also quit.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees as PEOPLE and investigate the high rate of turnover.

"Worst management/ corporation to work for!"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Capitola, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworker were awesome, the free membership and daily inspiration to work out, free work tips from the personal trainers

Cons

Never got a break, unless I asked someone to cover me or left the front desk alone
    They refused to work with changing school schedules
    God forbid u asked for a weekend off
    Gross management ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS found something to pick at
    Awful pay

Advice to Management

Don't expect your turn over rate to change

"Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Vallejo, CA

Pros

I worked at this company for over a year, and I genuinely loved it here. Plus being a receptionist is a great step towards more white collar jobs for a young person (paralegal, administrative assistant, working in a bank, similar positions). Plus having a free gym membership just can't be beat.

Cons

The amount of disrespect from the sales department is phenomenal. Like I said, I was here for over a year and I worked every Saturday, and RARELY got breaks. These shifts were 7 or sometimes 8 hours long, and once the kids club attendants would leave after their four hour shifts and the janitors whom would leave at the start of my shift and not come again until the END of my shift, it would just be me and usually 1 two other sales reps - who would frequently leave and be gone for hours. I cannot tell you the awkwardness of being approached by people wanting to speak with a sales rep and having to explain to them that there were none available, and that there were no managers on staff either. I would be the *only* staff member in the building for hours and unable to take a 15 minute break. I was at the mercy of the sales reps to ask them to come cover the front desk for me (if you leave it unattended you will be written up or fired) and more than half the time they would laugh in my face and say no because being at the front was "too boring" or "to stressful" for them. Another down? You can't sit - which is absolutely ridiculous. The expectation to stand for 4-8 hours continuously without complaint is unfair where every other department is allowed to sit. And it won't be long after you're hired where you start to see the crooked side to the business (there's ton of inner company gossip) that I won't even go into. Lastly, around holiday season it gets hectic and there is always something to be done and you will absolutely be stressed yet expected to smile and act like you're fine and continue to be overtly chipper or else you'll be talked to by the management.

Advice to Management

It's clear here that everyone is ultimately looking out for themselves, including the management. A ton of problems that were brought up to management usually ended up being swept under the rug or outright ignored (like my breaks issue was) and on more than one occasion I've heard of people (usually women) bringing up issues that wound up getting them being watched like a hawk by management whom were then eager to get them out of the company after opening their mouths.

"Great company if you're "buddy-buddy" with senior management. The "drones" at the club level are EASILY expendable."

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free club membership for employees, with modern equipment to "get fit."

Cons

If your not a "decision-maker" your just another face in the crowd.

Advice to Management

Recognize where your successes originates from.

"The Worst Business Practices"

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Stockton, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym membership, work environment, and members

Cons

Membership Counselor (MC) pay structure is below poverty. The information in the “salary tab” on this website is incorrect. They pay $8.00 hourly or commission whichever is more. In-Shape (IS) manipulates the system so they do not have to provide medical benefits to full-time employees by keeping their hours work lower than 40 hrs. Too much work to complete within an 8 hour day if you are producing. Employees will be written up if they do not clock out within 8 hours. Nevertheless, they are expected to work on their “own time” to complete paperwork before they can leave for the day. Otherwise they will be punished by way of getting yelled at or being setup for production failure one way or another the next working day or week. Upper management is never satisfied if a team is doing well, instead they find something else that needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

I can continue with many more cons, but there is a minimum word count. The company itself needs a new up dated corproate business structure. The payroll department needs an overhaul. There is no reason for employees to have to do extra work by keeping personal records and having to prove their sales in order to be paid the correct amount due on each paycheck.

"They pay horribly and they don't support military members."

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Turlock, CA
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Turlock, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because you're probably going to be working part-time, you'll have more time at home. And they're willing to work with you if you on your work schedule.

Cons

Everyone starts at minimum wage. Even the Leads only make a dollar-per-hour more. Housekeeping is at least a $10/hr job, and Lead is at least $12, but they pay $8 and $9, respectively; and that's only because it's California minimum wage.

Plus, the company hates following the USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act). They couldn't even fathom how to follow it in regards to promotions. Because of this, there was no upward movement for military members.

Advice to Management

Learn USERRA and teach it to your GMs. It's posted right there on the Labor Laws poster.

"A good start, but keep resume ready to move on to something better"

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Stockton, CA

Pros

Free health club membership - employees are encouraged to work out on a regular basis.

Cons

Management is disjointed and, at times, disinterested (think in terms of "mental lockjaw"). There is absolutely no career path for those who wish to get into management in the corporate office. Pay scale is well below the minimum for the positions. No defined scope of territory in the area of senior management - can't tell who is in charge of what.

Morton Rothbard is no longer in charge of day-to-day company management, though he maintains an interest. Son Paul is doing a passable job, but seems distracted and more irritated at having to journey from his home in the San Francisco area to the Central Valley for several days a week. Questionable choices made in the hiring of some senior corporate management members.

Advice to Management

Figure out how committed you are to making this a successful company (it has that potential). If you simply want to build clubs and have no vested interest in how employees feel, then please sell it to another chain.