In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews | Glassdoor

In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Paul Rothbard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • With your employment you receive a free gym membership (in 46 reviews)

• Paid CPR Training, free gym membership, and lots of classes if you want them (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • If not hitting goal you are making minimum wage while working full time (in 7 reviews)

• little pay for hard work and back pain (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good perks, management encourages employees to use all of club. Good training and safety and CPR classes."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shingle Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shingle Springs, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership to a nice health club

Cons

stressful work atmosphere, always short on people to work. May have improved since 2016 when I worked.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

2. "Housekeeping"

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time

Pros

Easy work, friendly members, great coworkers

Cons

Pay, scheduling was poor,

Advice to Management

Try to work with your employees schedules

3. "Alright"

Pros

Free membership that made it very fun

Cons

Its been okay so far. Not sure what to make of it, slow hours, and never know when your going to get more clients.

4. "Great changes taking place at In-Shape"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The growth taking place is wonderful to be a part of.

Cons

Benefits and vacation could improve.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with positive change.

5. "Professional company, friendly environment"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was extremely friendly. The company is very professional in training you on the computer systems, as well as teaching you about the company culture, the Inshape Lifestyle, and how they want you to emulate that to members of Inshape. As a front desk associate my job was relaxing and relatively easy for part time work during college.

Cons

Sometimes the training and management are extremely sales oriented which is not necessarily a bad thing as a business does need to profit, but it sometimes hindered the more natural interactions with members because we were taught to be so robotic in certain situations. I felt that at many points just interacting genuinely and being friendly with members and potential new members worked better than being hardcore sales minded.

6. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Woodland, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clients are sold by fitness managers so the trainer only has to focus on training. Big Positive for a trainer who does not enjoy sales.

Cons

30 minute sessions, big box-feel at most locations, low-ish pay.

Advice to Management

Raise pay, use different shirts.

7. "MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR"

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Capitola, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Gym membership and 1 hour lunch breaks! Great motavational employees and helping people get fit is a great thing to do!!!

Cons

Managment has always been wishy washy, sometimes it's good but other times its a pure headache. Communication is very poor - alot of the time I don't get needed information until the last moment or after it's too late. The pay scale changes every 3 months and the hours are not the best at all - being at work 9 hours a day takes up all your free time.

Advice to Management

Train the mamnagers on how to manage a team and be supporting of that team, be more constructive criticism is lacking - I am the longest lasting sales person at my location but I'm being treated as if I'm a new employee. I rarely get congratulated on my achivments and if I do its a good job and nothing more... if I make a small mistake or one of my numbers are low they pound on that for a whole week. there is no balance. and Stop changing they way we get paid every 3 months it's not fare at all.

8. "housekeeper part-time"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Santa Maria, CA
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

free membership, friendly, work around school/religious practices

Cons

little pay for hard work and back pain

9. "Working at in shape is like working in a forced labor camp"

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time

Pros

Most of the fellow employees are nice people as well as are the members

Cons

The job in house keeping at in shape is

like no other job I have ever worked in forty years, the pay at ten dollars an hour is ridiculously low for the amount and type of work you are expected to do.First the company is very tight with alowcaded hours which means there is never enough time to complete a job ,its a triathlon from the time you punch in till you punch out I and other employees have often gone with out breaks or lunch perfering to work thru it to get a job done,on any given day you are dealing with multi able body fluids from blood urine,feces ,throw up mucous ,while also having to be certified with hazardous chemicals because of your exposure to them every day when you are maintaining the four pools on the grounds.CPR is another must if you want to keep employment with the company ,the job is rigerous and very physically demanding,with almost assuredly no reconition for a job well done ,as it usely is found to have something wrong with it ,and this seems to be a running theme from management on a continuous basis.with unreal expectation set with very low appreciation but a constant push to do more and always pressure from corporate to push for more work to be preformed.This type of regime reminds one of sweat shops of the turn of the century ,house keeping duty are as follows, first to keep the gym

clean and running smoothly ,as there is constant picking up towels all day and washing them nonstop, then specific areas that are to he cleaned, and an hourly check and clean up of the lockerrooms, all the while you are/ helping members with whatever issues they maybe having and following thru till the member is satisfied ,which is being a ambassador of good will ,a janitor,and a hazardous materials handler on a daily basis ,with most of the later being some form of cancer issue associated with it .all for a measly ten bucks an hour with no benefits what soever it has been for me an experience in diligence with pride of my work ,and finesse and courtesy to members and fellow employees all the while in disbelief of the audasity of this company which I am embarrassed for to continue with high demand of work out put for minimum wages with multiable certificates reqired with low hour s alowcaded and no recognition of a job well done or for efforts of all the people employed in these dead end jobs..

Advice to Management

My advice to management is this pay your employees that are the back bone of the company deserved wages for back breaking work that is expected and is preformed to the highest degree of competence,I suggest that if you charged every member fifteen cent more a month that would enable you to pay a starting wage to your staff in house keeping of fifteen dollars and fifty cents and for that fifteen cent the members in return would get a more personalized experiance by start ing a program were housekeeping employees must be able to memorize ten members name a week till every name is known and members are greeted enjoying a more personalized time while in the clubs who doesn't like to be recognized that's what this is all about recognition for something has give because something is going to give anyway this way is a much more positive one than union or worse just people walking of the job because of nonrecognition of spirit achievement or pay.period its up to u corporate in shape shape up or ship out

10. "Good part time job"

Pros

Flexible hours, free gym membership, friendly staff.

Cons

Standing for long hours, and not always the most professional atmosphere.