In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews in Vallejo, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
Paul Rothbard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If not hitting goal you are making minimum wage while working full time (in 7 reviews)

• low pay, not a lot of room for advancement, all about the members (in 5 reviews)

"Great Experience"

Former Employee - General Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Vallejo, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Gym Membership, Great atmosphere

Cons

All sales driven. you have to make a ton of phone calls. If you don't sell memberships, reach goal. YOU GET $8 PR HR.

Advice to Management

Paul, DM in the Vacaville area is a GOOD Manager.

"Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Vallejo, CA

Pros

I worked at this company for over a year, and I genuinely loved it here. Plus being a receptionist is a great step towards more white collar jobs for a young person (paralegal, administrative assistant, working in a bank, similar positions). Plus having a free gym membership just can't be beat.

Cons

The amount of disrespect from the sales department is phenomenal. Like I said, I was here for over a year and I worked every Saturday, and RARELY got breaks. These shifts were 7 or sometimes 8 hours long, and once the kids club attendants would leave after their four hour shifts and the janitors whom would leave at the start of my shift and not come again until the END of my shift, it would just be me and usually 1 two other sales reps - who would frequently leave and be gone for hours. I cannot tell you the awkwardness of being approached by people wanting to speak with a sales rep and having to explain to them that there were none available, and that there were no managers on staff either. I would be the *only* staff member in the building for hours and unable to take a 15 minute break. I was at the mercy of the sales reps to ask them to come cover the front desk for me (if you leave it unattended you will be written up or fired) and more than half the time they would laugh in my face and say no because being at the front was "too boring" or "to stressful" for them. Another down? You can't sit - which is absolutely ridiculous. The expectation to stand for 4-8 hours continuously without complaint is unfair where every other department is allowed to sit. And it won't be long after you're hired where you start to see the crooked side to the business (there's ton of inner company gossip) that I won't even go into. Lastly, around holiday season it gets hectic and there is always something to be done and you will absolutely be stressed yet expected to smile and act like you're fine and continue to be overtly chipper or else you'll be talked to by the management.

Advice to Management

It's clear here that everyone is ultimately looking out for themselves, including the management. A ton of problems that were brought up to management usually ended up being swept under the rug or outright ignored (like my breaks issue was) and on more than one occasion I've heard of people (usually women) bringing up issues that wound up getting them being watched like a hawk by management whom were then eager to get them out of the company after opening their mouths.