InMotion Hosting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Robinson

Pros
  • Free lunch on Tuesdays is pretty nice/convenient, too (in 7 reviews)

• I have nothing to list unless you get excited by a free lunch once a day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover rate in the support department due to stresses of the job, so we're constantly understaffed (in 3 reviews)

• On top of that you're supposed to end every phone call within 15 min (in 4 reviews)

"Good Place to Start Your Career"

Former Employee - Marketing in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Culver City, CA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- All in all, a great place to start a career
    - A BIG- small business
    - You can learn a lot if you're driven
    - company is growing, so lots of new projects to work on....lots of work
    - You have a direct impact on the company growth
    - you'll learn A LOT
    - No PTO required for oil change, get stuck in traffic, etc

Cons

- Pay is not great - struggled to get a raise (minimal) even though my work showed great strides in profit.
    - Growth within company doesn't seem to be merit based, mostly based on time with company
    - no flexibility in work/life (needed to record my time, even though I was salaried)

Advice to Management

- Need to show appreciation for employees by offering better advancement opportunities, encouraging them to grow (even beyond your knowledge and experience), and be flexible with work schedule. If you don't give a raise, and don't nurture learning, and don't have a clear plan for growth - don't be surprised when talent starts to look for another job.

2. "Not really that bad"

Current Employee - Tier I in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Tier I in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management really does treat the employees with care, and are leaders rather than just bosses. I like the ability to give up my lunches for free food, I don't mind eating while I am working, and it's free.

Cons

Having to deal with customers who act like overgrown children who throw temper tantrums, dealing with customers who either have low IQ or just simply can't understand how to read when you provide them with information on how to do simple tasks, unrealistic metrics in how many contacts per hour you should be dealing with, the main goal is to get them off the phone/chat as fast as possible rather than trying to actually deal with it.

Advice to Management

Management is great when dealing with employees. A happy employee is a happy company, in general. My only advice is to come up with realistic metrics, the 2-3 minute hold time on calls is a joke, you can't realistically get any complex issue done in 2-3 minutes, and the customer actually gets annoyed when you come back to tell them you're putting them on hold *AGAIN*, rather than coming back with a solution. I don't know how many annoyed customers I get because I have to keep telling them 2-3 minutes while I am resolving a complex issue.

"Marketing Product Owner"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, and awesome Friday lunches.

Cons

My direct manager, a good person in private, but a horrible manager.

Advice to Management

Micro-managing kills your employees drive to work.

"This Company is a joke"

Former Employee - Tier I Support Technician in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Tier I Support Technician in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They make an attempt at creating a fun diverse culture

Cons

Long story short: a web hosting company may have to earn money, but I would assert that providing a good experience for your customers is the path to earning long time loyal customers. A lack of innovation or even keeping pace with the state of the art in web hosting would go a long way towards keeping this company alive.

Advice to Management

Wisen up before you lose your customer base completely. The shift in webhosting is coming, and you are not prepared. You've allowed untalented, undriven people to gain positions of authority that they cannot handle.

6. "sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved it. Great benefits, training and perks.

Cons

Income could have been better

"Great learning environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced yet relaxed working environment that provides a great place to earn and make money. Friendly co-workers and a chance to meet people from all around the world.

Cons

A cap on your commissions by putting unrealistic measures to collect 100% of the commission earned. Training is on the fly, learn as you earn.

"Sink or Swim, your call."

Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Very uplifting and friendly atmosphere, If you enjoy web hosting and technical support this is a great place to learn new skills from people that are really smart at what they do. QA is very nice and helpful.

Cons

The job is a call center job, no sugar coating that. I wouldn't say typical call center however. You will do chats and calls at the same time. As well as being postured with up to 4 customers in chat with sometimes very complex issues that you are expected to resolve quickly. You will fight tooth and nail to get break and your lunch my be postponed and/or cancelled on occasion if not enough people volunteer their lunch for the sake of volume. Training is almost non-existent in it's current form and they don't pay any attention to you once you leave training. You will be expected to make 6 contacts per hour which may not sound like a lot but with the complexity of the issues and the type of customers that have 1,000 questions you will find it increasingly difficult to hit that number. Don't expect to have weekly interactions with your manager or be coached on a regular basis on your progress, you will fend for yourself in this environment. The turn over in much higher than any typical call center I've ever seen. They put a lot on their workers and some thrive in this environment as it is the standard in the web hosting industry. You will be paid fairly while you get started but that pay will drop off and you will be expected to be hitting over your 6 CPH and pass quality before you can make enough in bonuses to make what you were making during your training phase. It's very tough to get a stable footing in this company and if you don't have at least 2-3 years in a large web hosting company doing 3+ chats concurrently, and having your breaks and lunches postponed please don't take a job here. For your sanity, this is not what you are looking for as average technical support.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees individually, take into account their daily stress and give them a hand once in a while, show them how to really hit the metrics and allow them to grow and teach them new things instead of just letting them loose and seeing how it goes.

InMotion Hosting Response

Sep 16, 2016 – HR Recruiter

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad that you found our environment uplifting and friendly and that our QA team was able to assist you during your time with us. · To best support our ... More

"Bad Place, Wouldn't Recommend Low Pay, Grueling Job"

Former Employee - Sales, Design in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Sales, Design in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch on Tuesdays, and pantry of snacks

Cons

Everything. Workload was immense, pay rate was low, yearly increase was low, and too much focus on evaluations. They ding you for every small mistake made and hang it over your head. They make it hard for you to succeed. This job will suck the life out of your soul. If you really need a job, take this and use it as a stepping stone into something better. Get out as quickly as possible because this place is absolutely awful.

Advice to Management

Show that you care about your employees more. Give competitive salaries.

InMotion Hosting Response

Oct 3, 2016 – HR Recruiter

Thank you so much for providing your feedback. We are happy that you found the free weekly lunch and snacks provided as a positive aspect of our environment. These costs are definitely not a normal ... More

"Tech Support to Design team"

Former Employee - Tech Support to Design in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Tech Support to Design in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome group of coworkers.
    Fun company activities

Cons

low pay compared to other places
    very unorganized and very high turnover rate

"Decent place, but stressful"

Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot from those around you. Management isn't bad. Free weekly lunch and snacks provided.

Cons

Can be stressful trying to meet the min. number of contacts required, which is probably responsible for the high turnover rate. Pay is average or even slightly below it. Limited room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Might want to try striking a better balance between number of customers served and quality of service. Feeling stressed about trying to meet minimum numbers and rushing customers off of phone/chat can't be good for quality.