InVision App Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
InVision App CEO Clark Valberg
Clark Valberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Complete flexiblity, people work from home or remotely" (in 26 reviews)

• "All remote work - Yes, you can really work from an airbnb from a different country every month" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to be very motivated to work from home" (in 16 reviews)

• "Working remotely can make you feel isolated" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

""Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at InVision App full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, InVision has been a fantastic place to work for the last four months. Does it feel like eight months? Yes. However, I have never felt more supported in my life. The first couple of days/months are always stressful but having leadership around you that genuinely tries to set you up for success is an incredible feeling and does not happen everywhere.

InVision has an excellent benefits package- including a “flexible” PTO policy, 1/2-day Fridays year-round (if you managed your time efficiently), monthly gym reimbursement, continuing education support, phone reimbursement, 401K (No match at this time) and super competitive health care plans. Plus, InVision has a 100% distributed workforce, and they try to give us every resource possible to make sure we can properly work from "anywhere”- Yup, anywhere. Everyone receives a $500 stipend to help create your home office, and a $100 InVision Café Card that gets filled up monthly. These all work great for me, as I am traveling around in my RV. “No Internet access? …Better stop by S-Bucks, and get some work done..” ..It's almost too easy.

Diversity seems to be a focus of InVision and is quite prominent already. This diverse talent brings fresh ideas, perspectives and views to our culture, and products. Plus, different approaches are the recipe for creating better products, and experiences for our customers. You're encouraged to be as authentic as possible, measured by the work you put in, which in turn, pushes you to be the best version of yourself and introduces new challenges..

I’m a firm believer that working remotely is not for everyone. You need to be diligent, hardworking, proactive with a strong sense of time management. There is an initial adjustment period and learning to balance home life and work life all in the same environment can be challenging. Our CEO, Clark wants employees to work wherever they want, and he believes giving people that freedom can increase employee happiness and foster communication that’s better than that of many co-located companies. This also enables us to tap into talent from all across the globe, rather than being limited by geographic locations- we can bring on the best and the brightest regardless of where you live!

As you can see, our CEO, Clark is a true visionary, a kind, authentic person. I have heard rumors that some people don’t think he’s real… ha, He is. :) I had a great chat with him, and he was super down to earth, and was genuinely interested in what made me join InVision, and what makes us better than the competition... That doesn’t happen everywhere you go either.

Cons

If you want to call it a Con- InVision is a startup. Or rather, an “established startup”, but a startup nonetheless. Not everything is polished, and sometimes even has a “Wild Wild West” feel to it.. but for me, I love the ambiguity! It's a fantastic opportunity to prove yourself and grow with the company… And we are growing immensely! The determination and enthusiasm from everyone are reflective of the culture they have established. It doesn’t matter what team, or department you are on, everyone has the same passion and eagerness to get keep the company moving forward in the right direction and staying competitive.

Advice to Management

I am sincerely happy to have the opportunity to work with InVision and can’t wait to see what is next on the horizon! More to come!

"I Feel Like I'm Part of Something Special!"

I have been working at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a 100% virtual company, InVision is creating the model for a way of working that will be much more the norm in the future. And, while the virtual working model is part of what makes InVision special, it is only part of the whole picture.

Like any high-growth, successful start-up we work hard but it really feels like any person who is giving it their best effort is leaving a serious mark on the company and can say that they are contributing to InVision's success. The work is sometimes messy, but in all the best ways. That's going to appeal to the right people (like me!), and not to others (which is totally fine too!). If you're looking for a workplace where you can check your brain at the door and follow a process some person built for you in 2005, this is not it! If the idea of a work environment so stagnate that anyone would even consider following a process built that long ago makes you cringe, you should check InVision out. We are a work in progress and that is a huge pro! I know I will learn here and grow here.

Cons

Like many start-ups, there are growing pains. Sometimes those things can be a minor irritant, but at least I feel like I can tell someone about it and they will want to make it better and help make sure I'm okay. I have also seen active improvements being made to employee raised issues in the year that I've been here. Our perks and benefits keep getting improved (and they're as good as most great tech employers already), the people that my team is hiring seem to be better and better every day.

There are some people around that are clearly holdovers from the early days, but I think they'll soon work their way out if they can't hang going forward. I had heard about some prior concerns of limited communication from the top and that seems to be being actively addressed. Our last two company all-hands meetings were the best and most informative yet. I'm not sure what prompted the change here, but it really feels like leadership is talking to me in those meetings versus talking at me.

Advice to Management

- Keep making it a safe environment to ask questions
    - Keep the top down communication happening
    - Continue to invest in developing the people that are here. Many of us are willing to work our butts off to stay as the performance bar gets higher

"Worked with great people, some C-level micromanaging"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at InVision App full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with interesting, knowledgeable, kind people, and a couple of fantastic managers. All of the engineers are senior-level, so I had access to a lot of expertise. The company structure is divided into teams with a manager, a product manager, and about six engineers who work closely together. Interactions between teams are mostly mediated by API boundaries between micro services which allowed a lot of autonomy for each team. It made for a very nice environment to work in. My relationship with product management was easily the best I have had at any company!

Working remote was very helpful during a time when I was moving a lot. Regular "on-site" meetups let co-workers meet in person, which helps to offset the downsides of working with people who I would otherwise only see as moving computer screen images. And the meetups are super fun!

The technology is interesting, consisting of lots of Dockerized micro services. I had a lot of latitude in design decisions in the services I implemented. Employees are encouraged to learn new things and share in group presentations.

Cons

Due to some reorganization in 2017 I was shuffled between three teams with three different managers in the space of eight months. My first manager was fantastic. But later I had a manager who did not have much experience working with engineers. That coincided with a time when there was pressure from upper management to get some work down on a short timeline. IMO one of a manager's most important jobs is managing upstream expectations so that their engineers are not overburdened, and I felt I was not getting that help from my new manager. My departure was partly motivated by personal schedule issues; but this experience was also a factor.

The CTO is very hands-on, which has upsides and downsides. In some cases engineering teams were told to adopt certain technologies or practices. For example I thought I would be writing Node.js code, and I was working with a team with a lot of Node experience; but the company was in the process of switching all new development over to Go. I know there is value in consistency of technology, but the language change was disappointing to me.

On the other hand the CTO spends a lot of time talking to engineers; and I appreciate the time he took to respond to my concerns personally.

When I left there was a legacy codebase written in Coldfusion that was a pain to work with. But the company was in the process of moving away from the legacy monolith to micro services as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

I was in a position where my team was told by upper management to implement a large set of changes on a timeline that I think was not realistic, with goals that were not super clearly defined. My experience at InVision was not all like this, but the months that were were tough. Please make an effort to get your engineers to tell you how long the work will really take, and base product timelines on that instead of the other way around.

"Overall great with some drawbacks"

Former Employee - Digital Content Writer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Content Writer in Austin, TX

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some teams are very close and great to work on.
    - Management WANTS to do better re: transparency, communication, etc.
    - Benefits and perks are great.

Cons

The usual drawbacks that come from working at a fast-moving, high value, fully remote company: change is a daily thing, priorities and deadlines are moving targets, communication can be a struggle. Beware new managers who want to make a name for themselves at whatever cost.

Advice to Management

Be even more open and communicative.
    Be clear about regular evaluations and their possible effect on an employee's status.
    Do more than promote diversity in hires, particularly managers and above; actually HIRE more diverse candidates.

"Best of all the worlds"

I have been working at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing can compare to working remote. Having the autonomy to do what you want and need in your life- nothing compares. Additionally, they hire top talent, you know you are working with smart and bright people from all over the industry.

Cons

Remote work isn't for everyone
    We are a fast growing company, things change often, you need to be ok with change and being flexible

Advice to Management

It's a continuous challenge when you have 800 people working all over the world, but the team is making great strides to try to connect and continue to communicate with all the teams.

"the worst place hands down"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Remote, OR

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

once this was a exciting place to work, with fast growth. We had a good team of supportive people and we got the job done. Our team hired nearly 1000 people for Invision in a couple years.

Cons

As of this summer leadership changed on recruiting and it became a lying, backstabbing horrible place to work. new leaders have irrelevant and poor experience and treated the team like factory workers (who, shouldn't even be treated that way). the environment we once had was lost. additionally, the new leadership fired a third of the team the week of Christmas. Most of the team has now quit and found better, higher paying jobs and aren't treated like animals. I feel sorry for the people still there.

Advice to Management

fire your people leaders.

"Best Remote Tech Company"

I have been working at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from anywhere in the world and they're flexible about your work schedule, as long as you can make important meetings. Family friendly and good work life balance. Great marketing team -- they've built a fantastic brand.

Cons

Engineering is lagging behind in experience and skills.

"Bait and Swith"

Former Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

remote culture, autonomy*, ability to push boundaries and be innovative*, working on a brand that many love and follow. *= formerly, not so true any longer.

Cons

remote challenges, namely communication. Often times it feels like information does not trickle down and leadership seems to purposely side step important issues and challenges. Working here feels like surviving an abusive relationship. I was here almost two years and watched early promises fizzle along with a culture that is quickly eroding in the name of scaling and growth. Really bad leadership is being let in the door. I watched the trust and autonomy that was prized in this culture vanish almost overnight, replaced with a very top down approach. By the end it felt like working for any old generic Inc. They get you in the door with big promises but fail to follow through. It's like surviving an abusive relationship, I kept thinking things would get better, but they never did. I now only regret not leaving earlier.
    The worst part of this company is the lack of work life balance. They talk about it all the time. Senior leadership will preach defining your boundaries and shutting work off after hours, as they send you long emails and requests at every hour in the middle of the night. So much hypocrisy here. It's very difficult to take real time off, because the pain of what you'll return to isn't worth the short break. I worked so many weekends, 1 out of every two Sundays, and so many late night hours here, yet never felt caught up. This place has a work life balance crisis.

Advice to Management

I have no idea what to say; what is happening here is a sad case of chasing IPO, a very common story in startups, where culture and long term planning is sacrificed for the short term gain of reaching IPO. I don't see that changing.

"Sales - growing pains"

Pros

Remote work - great for work life balance
    High potential product
    Top down sales - strong
    Great opportunity for non-sales roles except for Sales support roles

Cons

Majority of enterprise sales reps are miles away from their quarterly and annual number
    Lack of leadership response to growing concerns over challenges to revenue (product delays, competition)
    Competing compensation with different role types within account teams which is causing major friction
    Sales team morale is low
    Feedback mechanisms are definitely in place but their is fear of being tagged as a complainer

Advice to Management

If license seat count preservation is more important than total revenue within an account, everyones comp plans should reflect this goal. Take action to address morale if 2/3 of the main part of your sales group is at 50% attainment while the combined sales number is at 100% attainment.

"There are better places to be an engineer, avoid InVision"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I worked at InVision App full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully distributed and remote culture
    Free coffee
    Nice laptops
    Some really good people

Cons

The culture is toxic. Upper management has no idea how they are going to do all the things coming down. Constantly being berated for the mistakes of the upper management. Teams would constantly be at odds with each other.
    Communication is terrible. My priorities were changing weekly (no joke!) because someone decides that x is more important and needs to be done now and is communicating to the relevant stakeholders at the last possible minute.
    Career mobility is stagnant. I kept asking what was my promotion plan and nobody gave me a straight answer. I feel like my career regressed here. What's worse is that all the people who were senior to me were hired during the time I was at InVision and almost nobody was promoted.
    Micromanaged to the nth degree. I was given technical designs to implement with obvious flaws in them and when I would try to propose a better solution I was constantly shut down.
    The pay is below market rate, but the emphasis is on hiring top engineers so we seldom got great engineers. If they were great, they were working in a remote area where the pay was higher than the local market, but for most major metros the pay was not close to market rate.
    The work itself was not challenging. At one point it was, but toward the end it was mostly fighting with other teams in the organization and less actual technical achievement. Half the time engineers were told that they would have a staff or principal engineer be assigned to the project to get it back on track and they would perform just as good as anyone else would in that position.

InVision prides itself on being a design company, but doesn't care about the engineering behind it and thus it is always neglected.

Advice to Management

Figure out long term plans for once.
    Slow down.
    Fix the management culture.
    Figure out how to grow your people.