InVision Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

InVision CEO Clark Valberg
Clark Valberg

"Great place to work"

I have been working at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, people, product, and perks. Remote working done right.

Cons

Things can get lost in translation in Slack chats.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

InVision2018-09-22

"Cultural/Growth Issues + Increasing Attrition"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

- half day fridays - tech stack is modern - decent benefits except 401k match

Cons

signs of toxic management: - entire teams have been let go with zero communication from any level of management - some engineering managers are overly aggressive/abrasive and contribute heavily to task churn - constant talk of high attrition amongst rank and file engineers also present: - high amount of tech debt - design/architectural issues present in many teams contributing to brittle services - negative... inter-team judgements of others contributes to toxic environment

Advice to Management

Stop chasing features and start cleaning up the 2+ years of accumulated tech debt

InVision2019-06-10

"Management are ladder climbers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Half day fridays, decent parental leave, recognizable name in the industry

Cons

Where to begin? Management: Management will let go of teams when something goes wrong instead of putting some of the blame on themselves. Toxic environment. If you have a bad manager, your life will be miserable. You're working remote, on an island, and no one will hear your cries for help. Pay: Not only are you paid under market value, don't expect to get a decent pay raise for doing good work, only enough... to offset inflation. There are no bonuses or 401k matching, etc... Product: We overpromise and under deliver. Product is falling behind, but hey, we make really pretty videos. Remote work: Seems like the dream right? But everyone is more worried about appearances vs actually getting stuff done. I've definitely seen people punished for doing great work but because their work is less visible, they end up getting bad reviews by their peers.

InVision2019-06-25

"Worked with great people, some C-level micromanaging"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with interesting, knowledgeable, kind people, and a couple of fantastic managers. All of the engineers are senior-level, so I had access to a lot of expertise. The company structure is divided into teams with a manager, a product manager, and about six engineers who work closely together. Interactions between teams are mostly mediated by API boundaries between micro services which allowed a lot of autonomy... for each team. It made for a very nice environment to work in. My relationship with product management was easily the best I have had at any company! Working remote was very helpful during a time when I was moving a lot. Regular "on-site" meetups let co-workers meet in person, which helps to offset the downsides of working with people who I would otherwise only see as moving computer screen images. And the meetups are super fun! The technology is interesting, consisting of lots of Dockerized micro services. I had a lot of latitude in design decisions in the services I implemented. Employees are encouraged to learn new things and share in group presentations.

Cons

Due to some reorganization in 2017 I was shuffled between three teams with three different managers in the space of eight months. My first manager was fantastic. But later I had a manager who did not have much experience working with engineers. That coincided with a time when there was pressure from upper management to get some work down on a short timeline. IMO one of a manager's most important jobs is managing... upstream expectations so that their engineers are not overburdened, and I felt I was not getting that help from my new manager. My departure was partly motivated by personal schedule issues; but this experience was also a factor. The CTO is very hands-on, which has upsides and downsides. In some cases engineering teams were told to adopt certain technologies or practices. For example I thought I would be writing Node.js code, and I was working with a team with a lot of Node experience; but the company was in the process of switching all new development over to Go. I know there is value in consistency of technology, but the language change was disappointing to me. On the other hand the CTO spends a lot of time talking to engineers; and I appreciate the time he took to respond to my concerns personally. When I left there was a legacy codebase written in Coldfusion that was a pain to work with. But the company was in the process of moving away from the legacy monolith to micro services as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

I was in a position where my team was told by upper management to implement a large set of changes on a timeline that I think was not realistic, with goals that were not super clearly defined. My experience at InVision was not all like this, but the months that were were tough. Please make an effort to get your engineers to tell you how long the work will really take, and base product timelines on that instead of... the other way around.

InVision2019-01-05

"There are better places to be an engineer, avoid InVision"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I worked at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fully distributed and remote culture Free coffee Nice laptops Some really good people

Cons

The culture is toxic. Upper management has no idea how they are going to do all the things coming down. Constantly being berated for the mistakes of the upper management. Teams would constantly be at odds with each other. Communication is terrible. My priorities were changing weekly (no joke!) because someone decides that x is more important and needs to be done now and is communicating to the relevant stakeholders... at the last possible minute. Career mobility is stagnant. I kept asking what was my promotion plan and nobody gave me a straight answer. I feel like my career regressed here. What's worse is that all the people who were senior to me were hired during the time I was at InVision and almost nobody was promoted. Micromanaged to the nth degree. I was given technical designs to implement with obvious flaws in them and when I would try to propose a better solution I was constantly shut down. The pay is below market rate, but the emphasis is on hiring top engineers so we seldom got great engineers. If they were great, they were working in a remote area where the pay was higher than the local market, but for most major metros the pay was not close to market rate. The work itself was not challenging. At one point it was, but toward the end it was mostly fighting with other teams in the organization and less actual technical achievement. Half the time engineers were told that they would have a staff or principal engineer be assigned to the project to get it back on track and they would perform just as good as anyone else would in that position. InVision prides itself on being a design company, but doesn't care about the engineering behind it and thus it is always neglected.

Advice to Management

Figure out long term plans for once. Slow down. Fix the management culture. Figure out how to grow your people.

InVision2018-12-23

"Great place to work"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at InVision for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, exciting work on an industry-defining product. Very good engineering tools and deployment processes. Working remote is the best perk. Strong work/life balance; management is understanding of day-to-day family time and family leave.

Cons

Little communication between teams -- but you can make an effort as an individual and it's welcomed. Roadmaps are sometimes unclear because we're in such a high growth phase.

Advice to Management

Clark and David are awesome, as is the engineering management. Keep doing what you're doing.

InVision2018-05-19

"Great Place to be an Engineer"

I have been working at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small teams, interesting technical problems, passionate customers. Especially the small focused teams. When I talk to friends about what I'm doing, they are always envious of the cutting edge tech we're using. I love the long-term vision: I like being part of what's going to be a big success (or should I say: an even bigger success because it's already amazingly successful).

Cons

Working 100% remotely is a powerful plus but the downside is it's harder to have a sense of "belonging". Also, like many growth startups, working out of the tech debt and that's never fun.

InVision2017-05-24

"Horrible Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at InVision full-time for more than a year

Pros

Committed to remote work. There are no offices, the entire company is remote and global. Lots of opportunity to work with smart people from all over the world. Work-life balance can be good, or it can be horrible depending whether or not you are working on something that has the CEOs attention.

Cons

CEO is a sociopath and much of the executive staff are sycophants. Occasionally there are good managers and executives that cycle through, but they never last more than 6mo or so. The CEO runs this company, no dissent is allowed. Priorities change on a daily basis. There is no respect for any kind of project management or prioritization. I have seen co-workers stressed out because the CEO has called them late in... the evening to verbally dress them down because they were not still up working on a project. This company is driven by working each employee to the breaking point without regard to work-life balance. Many excellent engineers and managers have been hired, praised publicly as the greatest hire ever made, only to be demeaned and humiliated by the CEO or executive management 6mo later after the company got what it wanted out of them.

Advice to Management

Remove the CEO

InVision2017-05-10

"The Best and the Worst"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours, and some really great people!

Cons

Some not really great people - I found InVision to be a pool of super awesome technical talent, with no-so-great leadership. Leads to frustration and a lack of ability to be the best at what you do.

InVision2017-01-22

"Good company, great people"

I have been working at InVision full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't think I've ever worked for a company of this size at this high of an operating level. The people working at InVision make this happen. The people are amazing. Perfect work-life balance. I can work when and where I want. There are core hours or availability, but that doesn't have to be when work gets done.

Cons

It's remote only. So staying focused can be a challenge if you've never worked remotely before. Communications between teams can sometimes be strained, but this is an issue with every company.

Advice to Management

I would like to see the company "do fewer things better". Improve visibility of senior leadership. I haven't been on a call with or spoken to the vast majority of senior leadership. It would be nice if they were more accessible and visible.

InVision2016-12-07