Independence University Financial Planner Reviews | Glassdoor

Eric Juhlin
  1. "Financial Planner"

Current Employee - Financial Planner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

IU has a excellent work environment with wonderful co-workers and amazing managers.

Cons

I cannot think of any Cons. of working at IU.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! It is working great!

Independence University2018-04-02
  2. "Sr. Financial Planner"

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Option to work from home, great salary, and close knit team atmosphere

Cons

Working from Home and Online can be tough to keep a sense of motivation. It takes a special individual with a strong work ethic to make those conditions work for them, not against them.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep Interoffice Unity a priority and everyone behind the same goal - investing in the student.

Independence University2017-07-03

July 31, 2017VP Operations

Thank you for the positive feedback! Working from home is a great benefit but it can prove challenging to stay motivated. We are always looking for new ways to keep our remote employees engaged. Stephanie Williamson

3. "Awesome place to work!!"

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Independence University is by far the best company that I have worked for. I have been with the company since 2013 and have experienced so much here, the leadership is awesome and working here feels more like a family than going to work everyday. We all work together towards one goal, we do so many exciting things here which is why the teams are so close!! I have learned so much in working in my craft and love working...

Cons

nothing really bad to say

Advice to Management

My experience here has been the best and to the Senior Leadership just keep making the processes that we have better as you do!

Independence University2017-06-28

June 6, 2018VP Operations

Thanks for the awesome feedback! This is exactly what we want to hear! Stephanie Williamson

4. "Sr. Financial Planner"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Planner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great, fast paced, rewarding environment. You get to feel like you are really impacting student's futures which is great!

Cons

This school is expensive which makes it hard for some students. It can also be stressful and very numbers oriented.

Advice to Management

Things change all the time! It can be hard to keep up - we need more warning or help sometimes.

Independence University2017-06-28
  5. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Planner in Murray, UT

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for IU for nearly 5.5 years. During that time I have been able to help numerous students literally change their lives. The lower management team within Admissions is amazing and does a wonderful job motivating their employees, and uplifting those who could use a little boost. The pay is amazing compared to other similar career colleges. Employees are able to work from home which gives people the opportunity...

Cons

Upper management seems to use scare tactics to motivate employees which doesn't work from what I have seen. 9/10 times, employees are left deflated and end up moving on to other companies. There are no pay increases whatsoever, so starting salary is what you are paid the entirety of the time you work here.

Advice to Management

Don't use scare tactics. It deflates lower-level employees and destroys any morale that may have been there before. Give opportunities for pay increases or even little promotions for employees who are top performers or those who show the most promise at annual reviews.

Independence University2017-05-15

September 7, 2017VP Operations

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate positivity and a competitive drive and I totally agree that we employ only the highest caliber of people! Stephanie Williamson

"Great people - unrealistic work environment"

Former Employee - Financial Planner in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are always what you miss at a company. Benefits are not terrible. They do try and bring everyone together as a "family" but the tension in the air prevents cohesion.

Cons

Used to be non-profit - now it's status is ambiguous, they continue to say they are non-profit but they are under an accreditation that is for for-profit schools. They have unrealistic goals they want you to meet, the metrics are based on hopes and dreams rather than actual obtainable goals. Micromanagement is the name of their game - you can't sneeze without them knowing it. There is no standard set of SOP's so...

Advice to Management

Those in charge should be required to perform the duties of both the admission counselors and the financial planners for at least a month so they can fully understand the process and re-evaluate the unrealistic goals they have in place for each.

Independence University2017-01-17
  7. "Financial Planner"

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the atmosphereC . Love working from home. We all have a job to do and I love being able to work as a huge team to overcome obstacles to get our students into school. Most of our employees are caring, fun, hard working and most importantly, willing to go the extra mile to teach you what you need to do your job better. The management has team builders outside of work, we play softball and sand volleyball together...

Cons

I don't have any negatives to say about IU. If you do your job, you keep your job! Respect, you get respected.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Independence University2016-09-25

"Great Pay - Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Financial Planner in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Independence University full-time

Pros

60K salary and a possibility to work from home.

Cons

Training is a joke. Management does not care about employees. They hire anyone and fire as soon as numbers aren't what they think is good that week. Policies change every two months. They are still in the stage of trying to find what works and don't have a firm set of goals or values.

Advice to Management

Focus more on training and retention. Find out what motivates your employees and us positive reinforcement instead of keeping their heads on the chopping block.

Independence University2016-09-06

"Financial planner"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Planner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary is high for little to no education.

Cons

Each employee is micromanaged with unrealistic expectations. It's all about your numbers.

Advice to Management

Incorporate what top Fortune 500 companies are implementing as company culture and management style. Management has revolutionized, but has not at this company.

Independence University2016-04-06

"Former Financial Planner - Give up your life, values, and soul for 60k!"

Former Employee - Financial Planner

I worked at Independence University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay in Admissions is very competitive, for an AC or FP. Great people to work with, laterally--a lot of talent.

Cons

- You can be top performer one month, then threatened to get fired the next. That is how much you are valued as an employee. - Micro-managers with no coaching abilities--they only know how to threaten. - You are just another number that can be easily replaced, so do not get too comfortable. - You are not allowed to work off or past the clock (+40 hrs/week, because they do not want to pay overtime), BUT you will have to...

Advice to Management

Listen, learn, and lead. Treat your employees well, as they are your operating system.

Independence University2015-08-02