Independence University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2019

Found 232 reviews

3.9
Eric Juhlin
  1. "Online Higher Education - This School Is Doing It Right!"

Current Employee - Admissions Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Independence University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Independence University has a wonderful approach to supporting it's staff and students. After spending many years in online higher education, I found Independence after being laid off at my previous school. My experience so far has been very good in terms of the onboarding and training process as well as the extremely transparent communication from the school CEO. The staff and management have a very warm and inclusive...

Cons

The one-size fits all compensation and benefits package for Admissions Consultants was something I didn't love, but had to accept for an staff level position. Having to wait 90 days for benefits was disappointing, as I didn't have medical insurance when I was laid off and had 4 months without health coverage. I was willing to sacrifice these things because I wanted to stay in online higher education and most importantly...

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management consider providing different packages for tenured candidates.

Independence University2019-06-17
  2. "Excellent Position for the person who loves to make a difference in the world"

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Independence University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, ability to help students and grads throughout the country, awesome communication from management.

Cons

Accreditation, Accreditation, same problems different accreditor

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Student Advisor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has great ethics and morals. Open door policy that is a true open door policy. I feel like I'm part of a big work family. I've met the director and he is amazing. Deans of schools are great and everyone is here to help students be successful.

Cons

I have no cons about working here.

Independence University2019-06-17
  4. "Student Services Advisor"

Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in Annabella, UT

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are trained by the best. You have the best support from everyone at IU and on your team They make sure we are well equipped with what we need to do the best job we can. They appreciate your hard work and show you they appreciate your hard work.

Cons

I have not ran into any cons while working at IU

Advice to Management

Keeping doing what you do. It's so nice to know management recognized the hard work we each do and they aren't afraid to let us know they recognize it. It helps so that we don't feel like we are working so hard and never appreciated.

5. "Review"

Current Employee - Admissions Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Independence University full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Culture- Focus on the student The Support- Feedback and Coaching Teamwork- Sharing to make each team member better

Cons

The need for follow up work after call is completed Lack of time allotted for reports and data requested frequently

6. "Stressful"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Remote work, strong benefits

Cons

Micromanaging management, pressure for deadlines

Independence University2019-06-13
  7. "I LOVE my job!"

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor

I have been working at Independence University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

remote opportunity, educational benefits, great leadership and coworkers

Cons

I love my job and love helping students and graduates achieve their career goals!

Independence University2019-05-24
  8. "Get real..."

Former Employee - Bricklayer

I worked at Independence University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can work from home. That makes it easier to retreat to your bedroom to hide, which you'll want to do most days.

Cons

Every. Little. Thing. From stale, out of touch management to uptight leadership who is only obsessed with edging people out, taddling on others, and preventing opportunities for others. At one point, I wondered if we were in a real-life casting for Mean Girls or some other ridiculous high school drama. The men are rude and the women are catty. No advancement opportunities for people of color. My own supervisor ducked...

Advice to Management

Leave! YOU are the problem!

Independence University2019-06-09
  9. "Would you enroll as a student after working here?"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor

I worked at Independence University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Independent University didn't have regional accreditation when I was employed at the university. Difficult telling students they couldn't transfer credits to a regionally accredited university after they spent time and Title IV funding/money into tuition.

Independence University2019-05-17
  10. "Helping people achieve educational goals."

Current Employee - Billing Specialist

I have been working at Independence University full-time for less than a year

Pros

My team is amazing! I love coming to work every day.

Cons

There is a lot of misinformation about Independence University on the internet.

Independence University2019-04-18