Cover image for Independent Capital Management

Finance

15d

a

Commercial Customer Service Representative

What’s the best way to have a lack of compensation and incentive conversation in your department? I went above and beyond for years doing extra work, organizations etc and nothing has been reflected in pay. I thought my 5 year was going to finally show something but it did not. I’ve inquired about pay but it’s gotten nowhere.

7 Comments

Finance

108.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Independent Capital Management~289339
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "It does take hard work and sometimes long hours if you want to do well, especially starting out.(in 4 reviews)
  • "one is commission only and the other is a base salary of peanuts with commissions sliced in half.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment

Oct 13, 2021 - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and grow!

Cons

Don’t expect it to be given to you

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to develop a long-term career

May 7, 2014 - Supervisor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked here for about two years and have had a wonderful experience. ICM has a very team oriented atmosphere which I enjoy. Everyone who is successful here is very self motivated and ambitious which brings a great energy to the office. The opportunity for growth is there as quickly as you want to earn it, whether it is by being a manager and having your own team or simply by being an advisor and expanding your book of business. You truly get out what you put into your career here. In terms of receiving help with your clients and advancing your career, the management team will match your efforts. If you are working hard, the management team will spend more time with you. If you aren't putting in the effort, you shouldn't expect a manager to step in and fix everything for you, especially if you aren't applying what you have already been taught. Also, the flexibility of creating your own schedule is a huge plus, especially for someone who enjoys vacationing.

Cons

You have to be willing to work hard and put in the time in order to be successful in this industry. This is definitely not the right fit for someone who just wants to sit behind a desk 9-5 every day and get paid a salary for doing the bare minimum. You will work late on some evenings and weekends but the trade off is the flexibility to create your own schedule.

3 people found this review helpful

3. Join the Independent Capital Management team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Rewarding work experience!

Jan 9, 2015 - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

What I like most about ICM is that they offer you a career. Many people switch jobs a few times in their working career, but many employees have been here since they graduated college. I personally expect to be here long-term and continue to build my book of business. Here at ICM, your success is directly correlated to the amount of work you put in. In that sense, you get to decide how successful you are. As you can imagine, there is a lot of growth potential and there is no limit to what you can be earning! This is not your typical 9-5 job. Your hours are flexible so it's important to have self-motivation. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about conflicts in scheduling visits to the doctor or unexpected events that may come up. There are weekly meetings run by the management team to keep you up to date with changes in the financial industry so you are constantly learning new things and building upon your wealth of knowledge! Last but not least, AMAZING office environment. Everyone works extremely hard but are also very friendly and there to help you if you need it. There is a great sense of teamwork that drives everyone to excel individually.

Cons

Sometimes, it gets a bit chilly in the office but it keeps you awake!

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Division Manager-Registered Principal/Investment Advisor/Board of Directors

Feb 21, 2018 - Division Manager-Board of Directors in West Covina, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

ICM is a Great Place to build a Career and Business. We help with getting Advisors licensed and fully Trained to build a Long Term Career in the Financial Services Industry. Our Managers Goal is to help our Advisors. You must be willing to put the time and EFFORT to learn the business. You can find Long Term SUCCESS with our company and industry with Time and Effort. Independence is also very Important to help clients with Non-Proprietary Products and Services.

Cons

You have to pass tests and get licensed to work as an Advisor in our Industry. Must have a good background and Credit history. Once licensed, you must follow through with what you said you would do in the interview process. Phone calling, Marketing, Networking, Constant Training, Compliance, and whatever it takes to learn the business and industry. The Income will follow. Some people take the Salary Option. Most work 100% Commission to make the Most Income! Be your own Business Mentality!

6 people found this review helpful

President

Thank you for taking the time to review! It's because of your hard work and dedication that we have this shared success. Thank you for choosing to bring your talents to ICM.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good potential for highly motivated individual, but lack of transparency

Apr 3, 2017 - Financial Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to get the job as they constantly hire new reps. Great opportunity for career advancement into management positions for successful employees. Can create your own work schedule. Can get lots of support from experienced managers. Can earn a lot of money in the long run. Great job for a highly motivated individual with a real passion for the industry.

Cons

Lack of transparency during hiring process. The job is extremely difficult during the early stages and it is difficult to earn much money. This would not be a problem for some people who have support while they get established, but management should make it clear that this is the case rather than exaggerating earning potential and level of difficulty. No pay whilst training which takes much longer than they originally make out. To be successful you must be willing to work excessively long hours (evenings and weekends).

4 people found this review helpful

President

The experiences shared in your review are not something we take lightly. We are committed to ensuring ICM is a transparent and inclusive workplace for everyone. Our industry is complex, and we put tremendous effort into our training and mentorship program to foster an environment where all our advisors can be successful. A prerequisite to helping clients with their financial plan is obtaining certain industry licenses. You are the sole owner of your licenses, and our managers provide training to pass the exams. How quickly you pass these exams depends on how quickly you pick up the material. Unfortunately, if you don’t pass the tests the first time, there can be a waiting period until you’re eligible to take the test again. Thank you for your feedback & for your contributions while at ICM.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

My experience with Independent Capital Management has been awesome!

Jan 12, 2015 - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Independent Capital Management (ICM) is a great place to start your career as a financial advisor. The management team is extremely helpful and gives you all of the proper guidance in order to make you successful. Some of the great aspects about working here are: your schedule is completely flexible because you work on your own time. The compensation structure is generous and there are many incentives for production such as bonuses and company trips. ICM takes a team approach when analyzing cases which helps in creating comprehensive solutions for clients . ICM is an independent firm which means there is no proprietary agenda. This gives the advisors an ethical advantage because there is no conflict of interest with the clients. ICM is a full-service financial firm so advisors can help with any client's financial needs. There is opportunity to grow your career because the objective of management is to guide advisors into becoming a manager.

Cons

Being a financial advisor is extremely difficult because it takes hard work and many intangible attributes to be successful.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great work environment all around!

Jan 9, 2015 - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

ICM has a great training program! The training is very hands on and they really prepare you to succeed in your career. They provide you with all the tools and knowledge you need to excel and help clients. There is a lot of growth potential in this company. The harder you work the faster you can get promoted and move up within the company. The company doesn't hire outside managers, so you can only get promoted from within. Overall the company is a great one to work with. I feel like I'm a valued employee. It's small so I can get one on one time with my manager if necessary and if I need help I know someone will be there to assist me.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business you may have to meet with clients outside of the 9-5 time frame and sometimes on weekends. Traveling outside of the office to hold client meetings is also common.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Jun 28, 2017 - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

ICM will give you the training and tools you need in order to succeed in this industry. I feel valued and appreciated as an employee. I enjoy the independence that comes with working at ICM. I run my own business and don't feel like I have a boss looking over my shoulder all the time. However, when I do need help or have questions, everyone is willing to help.

Cons

It does take hard work and sometimes long hours if you want to do well, especially starting out. If you aren't willing to work hard or make phone calls, this job is probably not the best fit for you. For those who are willing, your hard work will pay off.

President

THANK YOU! With your extensive industry experience, it's great to hear your feedback on our company and culture. We are proud of our flexibility & our many career advancement opportunities.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to Work For!

Feb 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a great firm to work at. You receive full benefits once you meet the minimum requirements and very easy to get signed up through their HR department. The Beverly Hills office has a great staff, attentive managers and encouraging coworkers. The location of this office is great (you can run into a celebrity once in a while in the elevators!) and a very professional environment to have client appointments. The training is very hands on and if it takes you a while to understand a concept, the managers help you every step of the way and help you on your appointments. The entire office is always organized and welcoming. Growth within the office comes to those who are willing to put in the work and have a strong entrepreneurial spirit. Nothing but great things to say.

Cons

Nothing negative to say at all.

President

Thank you for your thoughtful review!

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

One of the most flexible finance positions I have held to date

Mar 19, 2015 - Financial Advisor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The schedule revolves around you and your work ethic. You are given all the training and tools to succeed and pass your securities and insurance examinations. ICM has weekly training sessions and works with many companies that update us frequently. The pace is up to you. Hard work ethic leads to promotions and I have seen coworkers rise to supervisor level within a year. ICM understands that as a Financial Advisor you must tailor to the needs of the clients objectives, and time schedule. Aside from mandatory training, you have the flexibility to meet with clients throughout the week and are encouraged to build a genuine relationship with the client. ICM doesn't have to sell any specific product which makes you truly create a custom plan for each client.

Cons

The start at this company will not be easy. You are expected to pay for your own licensing fees. The company does not offer you a salary, but rather has an elaborate bonus structure to compensate you as you begin building up your commission. The bonuses include compensation for passing your examinations as well as weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly bonuses, so the incentive to work hard is here. It is designed to offer the position to those determined to make it in this industry. The commission rate is generous, however, the starting weeks and maybe month(s) in the field will be difficult. Because ICM does not cold call, ICM will expect you to have connections that you hope to bring into the firm, and expects you to build your practice on your ability to obtain referrals. ICM is independent and chooses which companies to do business with. Be prepared to know the competition and the latest products on a weekly basis.

12 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 74 Reviews
</>Embed

Independent Capital Management Reviews FAQs

Independent Capital Management has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 77 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Independent Capital Management to a friend and 81% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Independent Capital Management employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Independent Capital Management. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

81% of Independent Capital Management employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Independent Capital Management 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Independent Capital Management to be culture, management, career development and the cons to be work life balance, compensation.