Indiana Department of Environmental Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas W. Easterly

1. "Great place to get experience"

Pros

Employee training is great. Lots of opportunity to learn

Cons

State government is not for me

2. "IDEM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Government job, easy work , great benefits and pay

Cons

They don't care about you, and they don't care about the law.

Advice to Management

Take it with a grain of salt when section chief wants to fire somebody. Since it is government, there is no profit motive, the decision and motive to fire or discipline somebody is almost always for a personal reason.

3. "Standard Government Job"

Current Employee - Environmental Manager
    Current Employee - Environmental Manager

I have been working at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time

Pros

Secure position, flexible work schedule, Good vacation time. Knowledge of how government works is helpful for marketing yourself to better paying jobs.

Cons

The turnover was very high in my section. Most employees who are well trained end up leaving for higher paying prospects elsewhere, which made for tensions among those who remain.

5. "Environmental Manager II"

Pros

Flex work schedule, laid back pace, not many deadlines, is a good position to do a lot of paid self educating.

Cons

Low pay, not able to gain a lot of experience fast

Advice to Management

Make some kind of loan forgiveness program and you will retain more young talent.

6. "This place will suck the life right out of you."

I worked at Indiana Department of Environmental Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

The feeling that you are helping to protect citizens through environmental regulation.

Most employees were enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Advancement is strictly political. No preference is given to education status or work perfoamce.

Your salary actually decreases each year due to little to no raises and increases in health care costs.

If you have allergies or asthma, the goverent center is not where you need to work. The air quality is very poor and is exasperated by cleanong during working hours.

Advice to Management

Fight for employee compensation. This is a department of highly educated individuals who should not be treated like hourly employees and salaried employees at the same time. Develop a compensation program that rewards education and hard work; not a political system.

7. "Very good for 25+ years and will miss keeping Hoosiers safe from hazardous chemicals & wastes"

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Same pay every paycheck, no overtime work required for most positions, free parking, good benefits, no exclusions for family from insurance coverage, flexible work schedule, many paid days off (earned days & Holidays) , safe working environment, virtually no weekend work

Cons

Minimal career advancement possibilities, no paid overtime for most positions, management political agenda impacts, lost loyalties, pay increase and training based on economy

Advice to Management

Work performance for pay not work position. Show loyalty for years of service. Understand how political pressure impacts the staff performing their Jon within their job description and performance criteria.

8. "Summer Intern - OLQ"

Pros

Great leadership from managers helping interns use their knowledge learn in school in a work setting. Learned about career options that i would have never learned about in school.

Cons

With any internship there will be a learning curve as all the material and ideas will be new.

"Supportive environment"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Managers supported my desire for more training and challenging projects
    - Flexible work schedule: alternative work schedule is available - every other Friday or Monday off
    - Allowed freedom to make judgement calls, no micro-management

Cons

- Employees tend to get pigeon-holed into roles if you're not vigilant about seeking new roles.
    - Who your manager is can make a HUGE difference in how much you grow at the agency

"Review of Indiana Department of Environmental Management"

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time

Pros

My favorite aspect of this job is the ability to see many different production process of many different industries. I've also been able to learn a great deal about environmental compliance and permitting processes. Through seeing so many industries and companies and their environmental management programs, I've been able to learn what works, and what doesn't. I think that is a beneficial understanding for any environmental engineer. IDEM also provides quality benefits including insurance and retirement packages. There is also plenty of vacation/personal/sick leave available when needed.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, this is a good position. But that's the problem, it's just good.. not great. My major qualm with my position here is that even though it's titled "environmental engineer", it is anything but an engineering position. I do very minimal actual engineering work, and I find that frustrating. Beyond that, the pay is poor and so are the attitudes of many of the employees. There seems to be minimal motivation among the staff. I am particularly disappointed with the dress here, as many people will just wear jeans and a t-shirt. To me that seems disrespectful to the State of Indiana to dress so nonchalantly. And lastly there appears to be very minimal opportunity for advancement/promotion here.

Advice to Management

Please stop letting politics get in the way of compliance. Also, please be more consistent.

11. "Mediocre"

Former Employee - Secretary in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Secretary in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Lack of communication with upper management