Indiana State Department of Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ISDH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana State Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have great co-workers and help a great program.

Cons

I am often bored at work and feel like I am not contributing to my maximum capacity. I also have little room for advancement. Red tape often gets in the way of doing a more effective job.

Advice to Management

Allow the workers under you to brainstorm and implement new ideas.

2. "Accountant"

I have been working at Indiana State Department of Health full-time

Pros

work hours they only work a 37.5 wrk week

Cons

not a full 40.0hr work week

Advice to Management

to much office politics

3. "OTC - No! I cannot say this simply enough... avoid at all costs!"

Former Employee - Management in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Management in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana State Department of Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good folks there, yet they are burdened with so many layers of bureaucracy that eventually they just give up and stop caring or outright just leave.

Commissioners office directly had some very caring and wonderful people working there

Cons

Where to start...

What good people are there and do care, usually do not hang around long as they are often surrounded by unskilled people. A good majority of leadership in all of ISDH from Assistant Commissioners to C-Level execs are bad on a good day, and often border on incompitent.

OTC and all of ISDH is a CYA place of employment. Nobody does anything without making sure they get someone else to approve or say its allowed, because nobody has any accountability or responsibility to own up to anything. I had the distinct pleasure of working at ISDH during one of the OTC transitions; by transition I mean when OTC takes over all IT labor throughout ISDH to streamline it. Now this sounds all good and well and it really could be, but due to the bureaucracy of the institution, all it really means is that those folks that barely got anything done to begin with, will get even less done now since it now requires more CYA due to finger pointing and childish antics.

I spent more time walking on egg shells and trying to avoid conflict than I did making any sort of positive impact.

Advice to Management

My advice is not to Management... my advice is to the current Governor and/or the State Health Commissioner... You need to fire all of your management, from the assistant commissioners to the C-Level execs and start over.

OTC is a mess... (90% of the full-time staff border on incompetent)
    HIV/STD is a mess (as well as being lead by completely incompetent people)

4. "Project Coordinator"

Pros

State employees receive great benefits.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape to jump through with any government position.

Advice to Management

Hire within.

5. "ISDH"

Pros

There are great people and teamwork at ISDH. Very supportive to one's personal and professional goals, and the work hours are flexible. Several opportunities for time away.

Cons

There is very minimal growth potential. Although managers and leadership support their employees personal and professional goals, there is not much opportunity to grow. There seemed to be only lateral move opportunities.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Field Representative- Public Health"

Pros

flexibility, great benefits- time off, insurance is mid-grade

Cons

poor salary for amount of work that is completed

"Dishonest institution"

Former Employee - Epidemiologist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Epidemiologist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana State Department of Health full-time

Pros

ISDH had one of the better processes for data sharing and access than other state health departments. Decent benefits. Good location--right on The Circle.

Cons

Illegal practices. Some employees were dishonest and would purchase non approved items and get them reimbursed through outside contractors who would bill ISDH for "Supplies." Mid to upper-level management could not care less. It was very difficult to get stuff done through all the layers of bureaucracy and chains of command. Approval processes take weeks longer than they should. Program and Division Directors are appointed by Assistant Commissioners and are usually unqualified and lack all leadership skills. Division directors refused to do anything about incompetent program directors who were running their program into the ground. Employee turnover is inefficiently high. Pay is so low it's a joke among other states.

Advice to Management

Get a grip. The only talent you attract are cranky lifers who just want their piddly paycheck or recent college grads. The smart grads soon wise up and leave, leaving you with an unskilled and unwilling workforce.

"Unethitical & Hostile OTC Area"

Former Employee - OTC IT/Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - OTC IT/Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana State Department of Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting and fulfilling projects if you have the opportunity to work directly within a program area IT team. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Program area IT, projects, and security are consistently undermined and held back by massive layers of redundancy and inefficiency from upper level management within the ISDH Office of Technology and Compliance (OTC) putting Indiana public health and Indiana residents at severe risk.

Advice to Management

To get ISDH - Information Technology headed in the right direction, the next or current administration transition team needs to replace, remove, or reclassify the entire OTC area. As OTC IT and project managers, we found we were not managing projects or IT, but rather forwarding ticket requests that were being sent to Indiana Office of Technology (IOT) from the program areas. (ALL ISDH agency IT infrastructure and security is maintained and created by IOT, not OTC.) We were also selectively limiting communications from IOT to the agency regarding specific IOT projects.

OTC should be reclassified as a general agency IT helpdesk that helps agency staff with general computer issues and audio/visual setup. That was the intent when all infrastructure, security, and IT was consolidated to IOT. Instead, a distributed committee should be created that contains select subject matter experts from each agency commission which serves the agency as a centralized knowledge sharing group. This would significantly improve trust, communication, knowledge sharing, and resolves the issue of constant battles regarding who “owns” direct and indirect reports.

Also, as OTC IT and project managers, we found most of our time was spent in closed door OTC meetings with the intent to undermine and restrict program area functionally and success so we would have more control and “job security”. Most ethical people find this hard to stomach which is why there is constant turnover. "C" level IT staff is not needed at ISDH to manage a helpdesk and IOT ticket requests. Program areas have the expertise, talent, and experience and can do this on their own while significantly improving security and cost.

9. "State Employee with no where to go"

Current Employee - Program Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Program Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana State Department of Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable-most of the time the job is pretty safe. Good benefits. Work not that stressful

Cons

No where to go - not very many advancement opportunities.
    Constant employee turnover. Because of vacancies I've changed jobs/bosses 3 times in one year.
    Low salary. No challenges
    Upper management does not want employee input.

Advice to Management

It would be good to consider your employee's feedback/input when restructuring.

"Program Director 1"

Former Employee - Program Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Program Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana State Department of Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented, opportunity to work with agencies across the state of Indiana.

Cons

Limited opportunities to get outside training, or travel to conferences. Micro-managed. Decisions made based on personal feelings/opinions versus what is best for the overall public. Fair income raises (if someone deserves all exceeds expectations, then give them that along with the raise deserved).

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff. Ensure that management decisions are not based on someone's personal feelings or opinions but what is best for the people that are being served. Fair evaluations and raises.