Indiana State Police Reviews | Glassdoor

Indiana State Police Reviews

Updated Oct 25, 2018

3.1
Indiana State Police CEO Paul E. Whitesell (no image)
Paul E. Whitesell

"Great place!"

Current Employee - Clerical in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana State Police full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a part of a bigger mission is what it is all about.

Cons

I wish the pay was more, but unfortunately it is mandated by the State of Indiana's pay scale.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Indiana State Police2017-12-12

"My view of police and the government will forever be changed"

I have been working at Indiana State Police full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and paid time off Flexible location for leave All State holidays off

Cons

I am not so disillusioned as to think that this is the only employer that has a work culture like this in the world, it is simply the one I am currently in. Also, as a state agency, it is appalling to witness what I have over the several years of my employment. I had no background with police in any way, shape, or form before beginning my work for ISP. That being said, I had a pretty neutral view of Police, and... a pretty healthy respect for officers. All of that has changed since working for ISP. The disrespect that civilian employees face everyday is absolutely unacceptable. This institution needs to change. The change over rate for civilian employees is so high because anyone with half a brain gets out as soon as they can. I have been trying to find a new position for years. You are constantly treated as field support no matter what your background, education, or job title. You are expected to bow and scrap in front of Troopers, and especially upper administration. Any complaints or criticism is quickly hushed and dismissed. I truly could go on and on about the treatment of civilian employees but it would take too long. I will say that my faith in law enforcement officers is zero to none and that I pray I am never in need of ISP assistance.

Advice to Management

Civilian pay is deplorable Treatment of civilians is unacceptable The ranking structure needs to be torn down; civilians are not your dogs to do your bidding

Indiana State Police2018-10-25

"Check your expectations at the door -- learn your environment!"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Programmer Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana State Police full-time for less than a year

Pros

The agency excels in its mission to protect the citizens of Indiana! The Sworn officers are among the finest people I have met in my career -- real class acts that was a pleasure to serve! Being part of a larger mission is a very gratifying part of the job and makes up for the short-comings of the salary and some of the other less than desirable elements of working there. Within the scope of assigned... projects, you have a high amount of latitude in the manner in which you make the implementation. For good work, the recognition is very swift and positive. In this respect a very rewarding experience. Very little micro-management! You will be exposed to a very wide array of technology and information. You will get an understanding of how the law enforcement community operates and develop an appreciation (if one doesn't already exist) for their place in society.

Cons

Often things are done for political expedience, rather than technical merit. You have to fanatically guard every word you say, lest it be taken out of context. It is a very politically correct environment. Anything that slightly smacks of criticism or negativity is quashed. Here needs to be a line drawn between constructive and destructive criticism -- certainly nobody likes sour grapes, but when something... is not correct, there needs to be courage to take it on. What was presented as para-military was often extreme military. Can be overwhelming if you have had no previous military experience. Civilian employees sometimes try to be more gung-ho than the sworn officers.

Advice to Management

The current administration under Supt. Carter has gone a very long way towards improving the culture at headquarters. He is to be praised for this. As is sometimes the case, reversing the pendulum can go too far in the other extreme. There needs to be a set a standards evenly applied to how the paramilitary culture is developed. The chain of command should be uniformly followed and should work effectively. ... Develop workshops for team-building. Civilian management needs to be more in tune with what is going on in their respective teams and be bold enough to take on issues decisively without prejudice or bias. Develop a trust that professional people already have a sense of duty and responsibility and don't need to be watched consistently. Finally, take advantage of the opinions of people coming in from years in corporate experience. A breath of fresh air isn't always a threat.

Indiana State Police2018-01-01

"Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Indiana State Police

Pros

Strong sense of community and brotherhood within ISP

Cons

Hours can be late at night, which can be tough for a family

Indiana State Police2017-05-18

"Great people and benefits, little pay"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Bremen, IN

I worked at Indiana State Police full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, flexible schedule, many vacation, sick, and personal days, no waiting period for benefits, some additional perks like sporting event tickets.

Cons

Low pay scale, slow advancement, no pay for past experience- everyone starts at the bottom. Pay scale has been same for 30 years.

Advice to Management

Pay civilian support positions more

Indiana State Police2017-05-23

"Application Systems Analyst / Programmer"

I have been working at Indiana State Police

Pros

Dedicated service to the citizens of Indiana. The tasks you perform have meaning and importance.

Cons

Political climate makes advancement and salary increases difficult. Often tradition beats innovation and progress

Indiana State Police2016-10-03
  7. "Extremely taxing occupation"

Current Employee - Senior Trooper in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Indiana State Police full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to make a positive change, even if it's small.

Cons

Surrounded by negativity and criticism.

Advice to Management

We are not a military organization.

Indiana State Police2015-12-06

"Sub-par"

I have been working at Indiana State Police

Pros

You have a lot of independence and freedom. There is a lot of reward in your work.

Cons

Very long hours, terrible pay and benefits. Staffing is below half resulting in extreme levels of work for too few people. Most other agencies will pay more and you will have help and support. Mid to upper management is unwilling or unable to combat the issues that are causing the young and productive members to quit.

Advice to Management

The State Police are one of the lowest paid in the state. A C- agency trying to hire A+ people. Pay more and hire more.

Indiana State Police2015-11-11

"Regrettable experience, wish I could've found something better sooner"

I worked at Indiana State Police full-time

Pros

Low rank people occasionally treat you respectably. Insurance is provided but for most workers it is at the cost of 1/5 of your paycheck, just for single coverage (one person, not your entire family).

Cons

***This review reflects the Indiana State Police Department post-2013, but has been the environment for the past several years. ***Very low wages, about 50% below the average for my position, but also for any position other than secretarial work. ***Often looked down on and reminded we don't get the respect of troopers, but then told more was expected out of us because we work for Indiana State Police. ***Looked... down upon by nearly everybody of high rank; a lot of smiling to your face while stabbing your back. ***Hiring and promotions are directly related to who you know and are related to, nothing to do with skill or effort. ***Often belittled and treated poorly despite the fact you are just a civilian employee, and not a sworn member of the department. ***Anytime a member of the department from Headquarters arrived at your location, workers were expected to revere them and treat them as if they were royalty. I've worked for several companies and never seen anything the likes of this. ***Management lies to your face about forcing you to work overtime but for comp time, stating its state law and "the state is in an emergency status" when there is no type of disaster. The only emergency was lack of planning by the department's management and they need to be caught up. ***Absolutely no chance for advancement, 90% of jobs are entry level and lead to nothing as all leadership positions are filled with family and friends or troopers.

Advice to Management

Clean up from the bottom up. There is a lot of lying by the leaders of the department. Try reminding your commanders that your civilians are not troopers, they didn't hire in to be treated like cadets at the academy and be yelled at, belittled, and demeaned. Just because you are the high up in the agency or the head of it, that doesn't mean that you are better than anyone else. Respect is respect but you shouldn't... expect people to line up to kiss up to you.

Indiana State Police2014-07-24

"Love my job, don't like how supervisors handle their responsibilities!"

I have been working at Indiana State Police

Pros

Great insurance (Health/Vision/Dental/Pharmacy) Good TIme off compensation Good co-workers (does not include supervisors) Nice facility to work win. Nice kitchen.

Cons

Poor management Poor management at the local level also. Pay is not comparable to other locations. Poor handling of seniority requests.

Advice to Management

Check on your lower level supervisors they are getting away with alot.

Indiana State Police2012-04-23