Indiana University Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Indiana University Health President and CEO Dennis Murphy
Dennis Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management doesn't value all employees equally (in 24 reviews)

• Management does not seem to understand what day to day work is required for excellent patient care (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time

Pros

Innovative HCO that cares about its employees and is flexible.

Cons

Lots of competition for internal promotions.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Disappointing Experience"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pto, on campus employee clinic, salary, good food in the cafeteria (Methodist)

Cons

I was hired for a job that didn't exist. Not long after starting I was told that had they (IU Health) advertised it to be what it really is, no one would have taken the job.

My position was managed by someone not familiar with the skills needed to do the job. While may be adequate in other aspects of this person's job, it wouldn't make sense for a nurse to be managing a technical position, for example.

Some managers want to know when their employees go to lunch. Instead, mine wanted to know where I went to lunch. If I went home for lunch, she wanted to know it. If I got off the elevator with an unmarked lunch bag she wanted to know what was in it.

In all seriousness, I was supposed to engage in gossip, listen to stories about other people's home renovations, and other people's family life on the weekend. If there was conversation in the room I had better be a part of it, else risk a private conversation with management.

Putting in extra effort was strictly forbidden. Despite being salaried, despite knowing I don't like to break my concentration simply because I had put in 8 hours, I was talked to repeatedly about proper work-life balance because someone saw me working late or saw a late email.

Eventually IU Health and I split ways. Just like when I was hired for a job that didn't exist, the separation paperwork listed things that my manager admitted to me was untrue with an almost Brittney Spears or Paris Hilton "tee hee. I guess that shouldn't be there."

My experience at IU Health was an unfortunate one. However, I've still encouraged others to apply there. I think it's a good place tAside from a few people, the department in which I worked, transplant administration, was full of cold and unfriendly people. I was always glad to see the sandwich maker in the cafeteria.

My experience at IU Health was an unfortunate one. However, I've still encouraged others to apply there. I think it's a good place to work overall.

Advice to Management

Management should be responsible for supervising only jobs in which they understand the skills needed to do the job.

3. "Love being a nurse"

Current Employee - House Supervisor in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - House Supervisor in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

compassion
    caring
    rural facility
    friendly
    evidence-based
    love my job

Cons

systemized
    career advancement limited within the rural facility
    staff recruitment limited
    politics
    motivation of staff

4. "IU Health Police"

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time

Pros

The starting pay is reasonable. Laid back environment from command staff. 12 hour rotational schedule work 5 days 1 week and only 2 the next week. Insurance is great.

Cons

Nurses often instigate situations with patients

5. "What they say is not what they do!"

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time

Pros

Pay well and time off is decent.

Cons

Want to be an employer of choice but bad policies, inconsistent adherence to policies and inconsistent management leaves an employee feeling mistreated and not valued.

Advice to Management

Fear of what a few could do has lead to policies and an environment of mistrust causing many to seek better employment choices elsewhere.

6. "Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - RCS Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - RCS Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours and unlimited OT (if you earn it)

Cons

We are overworked, underpaid, we’re held accountable for everyone else’s jobs. We don’t get paid holidays (even though we cannot work those days) but we have to use the little pto that we earn each check for holidays. Some of us are forced to train new team members even though we aren’t team leads or senior analysts-meaning we aren’t technically qualified to do it. We aren’t given any bonuses or incentives to meet the nearly impossible production and quality metrics. I could go on and but I’m sure you get the picture.

Advice to Management

Forget the career ladder and promote team members. Also, pay your people! There is no excuse for CUSTOMER SERVICE to make more than ANALYSTS and we do more work than ANYONE! Also, stop putting restrictions on everything. Working from home shouldn’t be more miserable than coming into work. Everything shouldn’t be based on your ineffective productivity and quality scores.

7. "Registered Nurse"

I worked at Indiana University Health part-time

Pros

Thorough orientation for nurses returning to bedside care. Great preceptors.

Cons

At times short staffing, able to use in-house staffing pool.

Advice to Management

Continue the in-house staffing pool.

8. "PCA Review"

I worked at Indiana University Health part-time

Pros

Staff members are friendly and work together well. If you're in school, you have opportunities to stay and move up to another position.

Cons

High management turnover rate

9. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Helping others are self rewarding.

Cons

Compensation, Compensation, Compensation, Compensation and lack of showing employees appreciation, especially in a stressful work atmosphere.

Advice to Management

To not assume the worst of your employees. Promote more appreciation on a weekly basis.Create lesd stressful work environment. Advocate to HR on behalf of you hard working employees.

10. "IU Health as an employer of choice"

Current Employee - Non-clinical Professional in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Non-clinical Professional in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, time off, environment, people, mission, opportunities

Cons

Employees treated as a commodity, slow to change, inconsistant in management

Advice to Management

Increase in leader training a must. Review of manager performance needs to be taken more seriously and corrective action implemented. Too many people leave citing their manager as the reason.