Indiana University Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Indiana University Health President and CEO Dennis Murphy
Dennis Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also a plus (in 15 reviews)

• IU Health offers great benefits for salaried employees (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't value all employees equally (in 24 reviews)

• Management does not seem to understand what day to day work is required for excellent patient care (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time

Pros

Great work life balance and benefits

Cons

No cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your human capital

2. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, lots of training and development available

Cons

Will have to float to other nursing units, expensive healthcare coverage (and can only seek care at an IU Health facility), sometimes short staffed

3. "Tech-Unit Support"

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time

Pros

Great support from nurses and other staff

Cons

Not much contact with management

"RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Multiple job opportunities to choose from. Opportunities to grow professionally, skill-wise.

Cons

Gradual elimination of growth opportunities and earning opportunities (scant pay increases, significant reduction in pay grades), reduction/elimination of incentives, increasing ratios without adequate, competent ancillary staff. Corporate shows disinterest in maintaining seasoned staff and incentives to keep interest of less experienced staff, i.e, large turnover staffing issues, use of contractors. Corporate will survey staff for opinions, but doesn't give them a vote. Harsh/punitive attendance policy that makes staff made unhealthy decisions.

Advice to Management

Revisit a more successful model of running a healthcare business that was followed before the current organizational name. Consider asking current staff how to make needed changes for the hospital/their roles, vs someone who has no experience in the field, or hasn't worked at the bedside recently enough to know and understand issues that require intervention. Don't be so prideful to think you know how to best make decisions any of the positions you manage, especially if you've never performed the role or performed it too long ago to be in touch with what it's like today.

5. "I learned valuable clinical skills and how to appropriately handle challenging situations with patients and families."

Former Employee - MED/SURG RN in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - MED/SURG RN in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This facility had strong teamwork among the staff and the managers involved staff in meetings and committees. The nursing schedule was consistent and there were no mandation policies.

Cons

At this facility supplies needed to be more organized. The equipment often would break down and needed to be fixed. The portable work phones often had low battery life or would drop calls in the middle of conversations.

6. "Patient access reprsentative job description"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Don't have any one complaint

"Neglect Ridden Prison for both patients and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO PROS OF WORKING FOR THIS POOR EXCUSE OF A HOSPITAL.

Cons

There is so much neglect going on in this facility that it is absolutely unacceptable. It is not even at the fault of nursing staff rather than management who fails to adequately staff the units. Everything is about money. If we treat patients poorly and inadequately they will have to be readmitted for more treatments which means more money in the pockets of greedy corporate thieves that don't belong in healthcare! What happened to patient advocacy? I am appalled and actually have to mentally prepare to come into work. The icing on the cake is that staff has come to accept this as acceptable treatment of patients. Patients should not have to sit over half an hour in a soiled brief or urine stained sheets that have obviously went unchecked for hours because the edges have begun to dry. I don't understand why people put up with this! I guess it is because they have not known any better. Being an outsider in this hospital gives me that perspective. This would never be acceptable in the other hospitals I have worked for or been a patient of. My colleagues tell me to let it go because there is no use in fighting it. Unfortunately I cannot accept that for myself. If nobody else wants to stand up for themselves or patients, I will! IU Health should be ashamed! Where is the zero star option?

Advice to Management

DO YOUR JOB!!!!

8. "Patient Care Assistant"

I have been working at Indiana University Health part-time

Pros

Great people, great hospital. Lots of learning.

Cons

Understaffed units make it difficult to get into a routine.

"Registered Nurse IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers, but everyone leaves so fast

Cons

Very dangerous place to work, the staffing is horrible you will take6-7 patients even on telemetry units MTU with drips. They do not care about their patients or staff. The workload is horrible and every year they cut nurses and replace them with nurses aides who can not do your work! Every employee I know says they would never allow their family to come here for care and that really says something. This is by far the most dangerous place to work I have ever seen, most nights I see nurses crying and no one in this entire place cares! Every decision is based on money not care. Do yourself a favor and keep driving past this place!

Advice to Management

With the constant turnover wouldn't it be better to have better staffing and less training of new nurses who will only quit when they get off orientation. This team nursing thing is a joke. We can help them and they can not do anything to help us. Go by a unit at night no nurses anywhere because they are passing their medication 4 hours late and all the techs are partying on the internet because there is nothing they can do!

10. "EMT-B"

Former Employee - EMT-B
    Former Employee - EMT-B

I worked at Indiana University Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, great employees and supervisors

Cons

Some staffing problems getting shifts covered