Indiegogo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
David Mandelbrot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, dog-friendly office, mostly wonderful co-workers, decent HMD, stocked kitchen, and catered lunches (2x per week) (in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is a major appeal of this company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the founders and upper management know something we don't (in 3 reviews)

• My entire process was through google hangouts (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great People, Good Mission."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with smart, capable, fun, loving people. The Values system felt authentic and helped with the culture and business decisions. The product is maturing and new avenues for revenue were showing potential.

Cons

Not much. Would've been nice if lunch was free every day.

Advice to Management

If any it would be a middle management needs to be more effective, trained, or let go.

2. "Good place to work"

Pros

Friendly people and fun work environment

Cons

There are product features everyone agrees need work, particularly on mobile, but there aren't enough resources to fix them fast enough

3. "Great company and wonderful coworkers"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at the company collectively believes in the mission and the roadmap of the future. Upper management is supportive when need be, but does not micro manage. Work life balance is a major appeal of this company.

Cons

There is no 401k matching program

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees as equals

"Great place to work with a lot of potential"

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time

Pros

Indiegogo has ultimately been a flexible and positive work experience for me. The company is beyond understanding with work / life balance with generous paid time off and work from home policies.

Though its been around for a few years, it still very much embraces the scrappy start up mentality.

Office space is huge with plenty of room for everyone. Multi level space in SoMa.

Quarterly all hands activities are key for company bonding and it seems like Indiegogo has recently been re-investing in them which has led to a fun company culture.

There is a really solid group of people at the company that really embrace the culture and contribute to it every day.

Cons

Like any startup, Indiegogo has had its ups and downs, and sometimes people like to latch onto one bad quarter as a reason to complain. A small group of employees here are not the most appreciative of the workspace and like to complain.

Targets can be quite aggressive which can be exciting for some but stressful for others.

Since Indiegogo is so flexible and understanding about work schedule and styles, sometimes work load gets unevenly distributed as people take advantage of the generosity of the system way too much.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in fun things for the company to do together and empowering those individuals that take it upon themselves to contribute positively to company culture.

"Amazing mission/passion at the bottom + lack of vision/process at the top"

I worked at Indiegogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.Diversity (much better than a lot of tech companies)
    2. B Corp missions/ideals (but, without the official B Corp status)
    3. Bring your dog to work

Cons

1. Favoritism

-Allowed 2 employees to work remotely (Southern California and Florida) to be closer to their life partners, but denied same privileges to other employees (whose roles were even more autonomous). Communication to company was " request evaluated on case-by-case basis" which translated means: If we like you; we'll do it. (And no, Indiegogo does not have any presence in those areas.)

2. Hiring/firing within months

-Company opened a role, filled the req, realized they hadn't thought out the responsibilities, provided no guidance to the employee, and tried to fire within months.

3. Lack of true mentorship/growth opportunities for senior employees

-Many of the managers/directors have only worked at Indiegogo after college and have very limited professional scope to share with those more veteran.

Advice to Management

You have amazing employees, don't lose them!

"Come for the culture, stay for the opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Indiegogo was founded with a very strong social mission, and although the focus on entrepreneurial projects has increased over time, the social mission is still intact within the people who work here and the company ethos. There are many very passionate people who work at Indiegogo who care deeply about things outside of work, which makes it a very interesting and enjoyable place to work. It's also pretty fun, employees organize happy hours frequently and every few months organize an unofficial employee trip to Tahoe or the Russian River. Also, major opportunity to grow professionally and take ownership of a new project or develop skills and transfer to a completely new team. Many people who run large programs now were given the opportunity to supervise a small pilot that then became very successful. Also, many people who started on customer support teams have grown their skills and are now working on product management, design, sales, and strategy teams. Probably most importantly people very rarely burn out. High stress level is not the norm.

Cons

-Can still be very 'startup-y' in terms of organizational structure, HR/bookkeeping, information management, etc. With the flexibility and independence of working at a start up comes the BS too---different teams using different processes and platforms to communicate and store information and the disorganization that follows from that, sometimes unclear roles/hierarchies/career paths, snafus in tracking PTO or transferring benefit plans, etc. This is clearly something management is working to improve but there is still progress to be made.
    -Comp and perks are very solid and would be considered generous anywhere else in the United States, but do not match the highest levels of opulence offered in SF/Silicon Valley

Advice to Management

Keep tightening things up to become more of a real company. Don't lose the relaxed atmosphere or the most passionate employees.

"Fun and challenging, startup adventure!"

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time

Pros

Indiegogo is a company that is such a pleasure to work for. The culture, the mission and the values are alive and vibrant and the people here are more than just colleagues but also my friends. The opportunities I have been afforded to grow my career here are those that I don't believe I would have been offered elsewhere. I feel valued here and important - not dispensable. I appreciate that my concerns and ideas are listened to and heard and that I am empowered to create and spearhead my own projects. I can see myself here for quite sometime.

To shortlist the pros:
    - amazing people, amazing culture
    - healthy food options
    - competitive benefits and compensation
    - career opportunities and growth
    - dog-friendly office

Cons

I honestly don't have any.

Advice to Management

I've been noticing a lot more learning and development opportunities popping up, so while everyone is doing their best, I would suggest incorporating manager training to first-time managers!

"Let this serve as a informative detterant to interested parties"

Pros

This review has been a long time coming. And regardless of the cultural issues that plague Indiegogo's management styles and decision-making processes, I'd like this review to serve as a transparent breakdown of why you should avoid the recruiting mumbo jumbo and ask for the figures.

Before we dive into the cons, Here are the pros:

- Mostly great people to work with, especially those in the entry level to middle management positions. These people are talented, unencumbered by the daily politics of Indiegogo and really don't know any better. They're just awesome, smart and eager to get work done.

- Nicer office space than some places

Cons

Also, this is an edited version of the original review. Of course Indiegogo had it flagged and then immediately asked someone to write a positive review to bury this. Another example of shady and political moves vs focusing on fixing the business.

**second time Indiegogo has had this flagged for editing. So hiding the truth seems to be a full time job now.

Well here it is again, edited to meet Glassdoors community guidelines ;)

With the pros out of the way, we can get started on the issues that make Indiegogo a worrisome place to work, especially if you've been misinformed about the financial situation, cash flow, burn rates, stock value, and even the decision-making process of upper management.

Overall management and leadership is lacking, unethical and more closely resembles an entourage of old friends and colleagues who have nowhere else to go.

The whole company is lacking the properly experienced management and general direction of a organization thats going to survive their limited runway. Sales goals and quotas are created to simply pressure the teams into keeping things afloat. It seems more and more that revenue focused groups in the company are taking credit for any and every campaign that brings in any kind of money.

The entire organization is floundering to survive in an ever shrinking crowdfunding market. Funding is drying up and its doubtful that any investor is willing to sink any more money into an org that hasnt been profitable in almost 10 years.

How can Indiegogo properly project growth, revenue, and devise a strategy when the financial and overall business data is simply wrong. This is just a matter of bad work by inexperienced leaders hired by inexperienced leaders. A players don't hire B players...B players hire C players. Is that the saying?

With the recent state of affairs in Silicon Valley and the emphasis on how an organization protects its leaders from their own incompetence, this is important to note. What ever function hired to do so, is the same that finds way to bring in friends, fire experts and ultimately erase glassdoor reviews.

Have anyone mentioned the reviewer witch hunts that happened not 6 months ago when management spent time questioning employees about negative reviews?

The way the company operates is exactly what most people in silicon valley have been complaining about. Certain functions in the company act as the smiling faces and carefully chosen words that stand between upper management and responsibility. If someone at the top wants to fire someone because the expert didn't agree with their strategy, an internal team will come up with some BS excuse.

The fact of the matter is that the leaders at Indiegogo have probably spent more time telling "alt facts" than most. But then again, those "alt facts" are really there to protect inexperienced managers and pressured execs to find scape-goats for overall company performance.

It's no wonder the company is not only bleeding money, it's bleeding employees. The attrition rate is worse than any company I've experienced in Silicon Valley.

Employees are demoralized, bored, and simply tired of under performing quarter over quarter. Management continues to lead the company in singing Kumbaya, while someone else tries to avert eyes from the data that matters. As much as I prefer not to quote Trump, this is a fitting circumstance.

"It's fake news...very fake news"

Advice to Management

Stop taking poor advice and direction from a team of executives who have basically been leading you with a broken compass.

"Good"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

Greay place to work. I would recommended it to a friend

Cons

None everything is great so far.

Advice to Management

None

"Good heart, but sometimes has trouble executing"

I worked at Indiegogo full-time

Pros

I've never worked at a place where so many people were so empathetic, where they just wanted to see good in the world happen, and were happy to be part of it. The people I met at Indiegogo, are still my friends and the network I grew there will stay with me for years. I'd say, the working style, values and professional network are the best reasons to join. Despite my critical feedback, it's generally one of the best places I've ever worked.

Cons

They don't know how to be a company of their size. The core players of the business work with each-other in the same way they always have, the same way they did when Indiegogo was a < 20 person company, but they also have a ton of "big company" things (like OKRs and tons of departments and teams with different goals). They are way bigger than their "heart" operates, and are really big into "fearlessness" as a way of trusting people to do what they need to do, but fearlessness can't always solve the issues with gaps in management in some places, and too much management in others. (I mean... are people on the leaves supposed to be able to say we don't need the trunks?). They organize their strategy around KPIs, but typical of most startups, this results in large swaths of the product being essentially abandoned because no department has a KPI that would justify fixing it (Ahem... E-mail notifications). Multiple departments are responsible for overlapping layers of the experience, and those departments are often not marching to the same drum or KPIs. For example, both product and marketing take responsibility for emails but each has different goals and there isn't a cohesive way to incentivize either department to make the experience of unsubscribing from emails better. Both design, marketing and sales create graphic content for different parts of the experience. However, marketing is encouraged to posture Indiegogo based on 3rd party "voice and tone" people, meanwhile the design departments internal work on voice and tone is often discordant with marketing's directions. This rift is because the masters of these departments are marching to different drums (led by KPIs that would indirectly engender incompatible execution), but in execution the beats need to fit together and often don't. This means people's "fearless" autonomy is often overlapped by others' fearless autonomy. It's a bit too much ritual, ceremony and corporate rhetoric that doesn't really fit into how i think they want to operate. It's hard to be truly fearless at their size.

Advice to Management

Indiegogo is acting bigger than it is, probably because they feel they need to in order to hit their investor approved OKRs. Cut the team. Indiegogo is at it's core a tight knit group of people who've been there for years, save the star players that are the extended family and cut the rest. You want authenticity? Then you should really embrace a smaller team. You'll spend less on retraining, management, and the people remaining should have more autonomy, less bureaucracy and more room to realize their true passion for the product.