Indiegogo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Mandelbrot

Pros
  • great mission, some truly awesome people, bright open office space, dog-friendly office (in 6 reviews)

• The company is beyond understanding with work / life balance with generous paid time off and work from home policies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Do the founders and upper management know something we don't (in 3 reviews)

• My entire process was through google hangouts (in 2 reviews)

"Come for the culture, stay for the opportunity"

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Indiegogo was founded with a very strong social mission, and although the focus on entrepreneurial projects has increased over time, the social mission is still intact within the people who work here and the company ethos. There are many very passionate people who work at Indiegogo who care deeply about things outside of work, which makes it a very interesting and enjoyable place to work. It's also pretty fun, employees organize happy hours frequently and every few months organize an unofficial employee trip to Tahoe or the Russian River. Also, major opportunity to grow professionally and take ownership of a new project or develop skills and transfer to a completely new team. Many people who run large programs now were given the opportunity to supervise a small pilot that then became very successful. Also, many people who started on customer support teams have grown their skills and are now working on product management, design, sales, and strategy teams. Probably most importantly people very rarely burn out. High stress level is not the norm.

Cons

-Can still be very 'startup-y' in terms of organizational structure, HR/bookkeeping, information management, etc. With the flexibility and independence of working at a start up comes the BS too---different teams using different processes and platforms to communicate and store information and the disorganization that follows from that, sometimes unclear roles/hierarchies/career paths, snafus in tracking PTO or transferring benefit plans, etc. This is clearly something management is working to improve but there is still progress to be made.
    -Comp and perks are very solid and would be considered generous anywhere else in the United States, but do not match the highest levels of opulence offered in SF/Silicon Valley

Advice to Management

Keep tightening things up to become more of a real company. Don't lose the relaxed atmosphere or the most passionate employees.

"Fun and challenging, startup adventure!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time

Pros

Indiegogo is a company that is such a pleasure to work for. The culture, the mission and the values are alive and vibrant and the people here are more than just colleagues but also my friends. The opportunities I have been afforded to grow my career here are those that I don't believe I would have been offered elsewhere. I feel valued here and important - not dispensable. I appreciate that my concerns and ideas are listened to and heard and that I am empowered to create and spearhead my own projects. I can see myself here for quite sometime.

To shortlist the pros:
    - amazing people, amazing culture
    - healthy food options
    - competitive benefits and compensation
    - career opportunities and growth
    - dog-friendly office

Cons

I honestly don't have any.

Advice to Management

I've been noticing a lot more learning and development opportunities popping up, so while everyone is doing their best, I would suggest incorporating manager training to first-time managers!

"Real Job or Not"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great. Especially for Georgia living. And being able to work from home is always a plus in my book

Cons

Interview/ hiring process is suspicious. My entire process was through google hangouts. Never heard a voice. If this is real, I won't have any cons

Indiegogo Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

It has come to our attention that someone has been fraudulently posing as an Indiegogo recruiter and conducting interviews for jobs that do not exist. We are working to put a stop to this fraud, but ... More

"Great company, Great team, Great mission"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for almost 2 years, in a management role. It is by the far, the best place I have worked. The people are incredibly warm and nice - it truly feels like a family that you want to spend time with, and the culture encourages open communication and authenticity. The leadership team is top notch, with several great additions in the past few months, and is constantly innovating and pioneering new facets of the industry after 8+ years. The CEO is smart, very well liked, and extremely approachable. All three original founders are involved in day to day company management, in various roles that leverage their core strengths. The office is beautiful and dog-friendly! Environment of everyone wanting to help make the world a better place.

Cons

Lots of employees just out of college so there is some basic working world knowledge that is lacking. Least desirable stretch of Mission street in SF. No budget for lunches every day (just twice a week), which is challenging due to lots meetings and no time to leave the building to get food.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and transparent. Maintain rigorous hiring practices. Stay nimble and willing to adjust focus in order to win.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hyper focused on culture fit, office is located close to Powell BART, large customer base, name recognition, easy to move between teams, modern Rails stack, you can screw up completely and no one will blame you, makes diversity a priority / has better than average diversity

Cons

Lack of solid senior engineers, shrinking customer base, inability to shift focus off of being a "one-platform-for-everyone in crowdfunding" in an evermore fragmenting and specializing market, heavy bureaucratic process for deciding which projects get worked on, bad engineers who move up the ranks and have their failed pet projects waste limited resources, technical debt, technical debt, TECHNICAL DEBT

Advice to Management

Regain your startup mentality, stop focusing on culture and start focusing on technical excellence, start innovating again

"Company preaches authenticity, no evidence of it anywhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Indiegogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, dog-friendly office, mostly wonderful co-workers, decent HMD, stocked kitchen, and catered lunches (2x per week).

Cons

Core values of the company (Fearless, Authentic, Collaboration, Empowerment) are a complete farce. Nepotism pervades and manifests in every possible iteration, at every level of management. In memespeak, when you have more managers than employees, you’re gonna have a bad time.

With such an imbalance in org structure, work ethic doesn't seem to matter and titles are the byproduct of concatenating a series of buzzwords. Promotions are often granted in a desperate attempt to retain people who continue to delude themselves on the trajectory of the company. A moment of silence for the “fearless” individuals who keep drinking the generically branded Kool-Aid as they face the financial cliffs ahead.

Common practices that abound include, but are not limited to:
    - hiring then firing people for roles (or vice versa) because of incompetent planning and indecisiveness
    - extremely questionable sales practices resulting in unnecessary cannibalization or misattribution of success
    - playing hot potato with responsibilities and work loads
    - rampant favoritism towards individuals who lack basic qualifications for their role
    - habitually sweeping problems and mistakes under the rug (FYI – will eventually run out of space)
    - abnormal levels of passive-aggressive behavior due to complete lack of knowledge of professional conduct
    - emotional blackmailing in the guise of familial concern and interest
    - enforcing a “Do as I Say, Not as I Do” environment
    - etc., etc.

If you’re looking for a challenge or want a fast track to absolute annihilation of your professional career and sanity, this is the company to join. Perhaps FACE was an apt choice after all considering it’s the only face they can retain.

Advice to Management

Employees are not deaf, nor dumb. Learn to exercise sound judgement. Accept responsibility for actions taken. Listen and read between the lines.

"Stay away if your career still matters to you."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Indiegogo (More than a year)

Pros

Great IT department. Good work-life balance and the office manager is amazing!!!

Cons

Though there is always politics in all that we do, it is clear that the alliances/cliques that have been formed over the past 6 months have a certain demographic. You're in if you know the right people. No direction has been given as to where the company wants to go in the future and employees just guess as to what needs to be done.

Being proactive won't help you either as KPI's are the holy grail of what needs to be accomplished but the Engineering team has ZERO resources to attain these KPI's and as a result, everything is done manually.

Lots of focus is placed on things that don't matter in the immediate future and things that need to be seriously addressed are not actually being address. For instance, the technical debt here is unbelievable and the platform reflects this. Why isn't there a plan to fix this? Do the founders and upper management know something we don't? Is there a plan to sell the company? (Then again, who'd buy it?!?!) Why is there no plan to improve the company?

Finally, Indiegogo has been around for close to 10 years now and there is no record of audited financial statements. Why? Who is on the board? Why wouldn't they request this be done? Oh that's right, because the board consists of people who are buddies with the former CEO. Again, back to the cliques.

"A lot of improvement to be done."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Indiegogo (More than a year)

Pros

The vision of the company is why many people, including myself, work(ed) there.

Cons

Boys club. No transparency. People get leveled up without the skill set and it is difficult to work with jr employees with tons of ego who get encouraged by upper management.

Advice to Management

The people who work for you are real people. Treat them like it.

"Funding for everyone wasn't built in a day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Indiegogo (More than a year)

Pros

My mission here is not to write a full review, just to correct some statements in earlier reviews that are incorrect or out of date.

Indiegogo has good market share already but still needs to establish itself as a sustainable business. We made good progress in 2015 on identifying and serving our entrepreneur market (e.g. InDemand) and you'll see more of that in 2016. Our social mission is still alive and well, it's just not so mixed in with the rest of the business.

'Work-life balance' is about as good as one could expect from a company at this stage. Four weeks of vacation is standard. New parents get two months of leave, and leaders set an example by taking it. There are also standard holidays plus your birthday, and early closures on the days before holidays.

Regarding diversity, six of the 15 members of the coordination team (the company's highest-level decision-making group) are women, to say nothing of one of the three founders (all of whom are still with the company). Overall Indiegogo is relatively diverse for an Internet company. Engineering has fallen behind lately, although there is energy behind getting back on track there.

Finally, some employees may have been asked to write Glassdoor reviews shortly after joining, but I wasn't, and if it's a broad policy I'm not aware of it.

As other reviews have mentioned, the people are generally excellent and very positive (by far the biggest reason to work here for most of us here), the office and related services are pretty good, and dogs are welcome!

Cons

This isn't exactly a con, but Indiegogo is still a startup. Some employees might have though that our early success meant they could coast. Nope.

"Awesome place to work!"

I have been working at Indiegogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We get to work with the most cutting edge technology and inventors. The office environment is fun, open, and engaging. I find myself laughing while at the same time getting insane amounts of work done.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower end for what's standard in the SF tech scene.