Indigo Books & Music Reviews in Calgary, AB | Glassdoor

Indigo Books & Music Calgary Reviews

Updated November 17, 2017

Calgary, AB, Canada Area (Canada)

3.6
Indigo Books & Music Chairman and CEO Heather M. Reisman
Heather M. Reisman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great experience working with great people (in 32 reviews)

• positive work environment and engaging atmosphere (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • After working here for over five years I barely made a few cents above minimum wage as every time (in 59 reviews)

• No Full time work available, many people have two jobs to support themselves (in 34 reviews)

1. "Good environment"

Current Employee - CER in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - CER in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people, Benefits are great.

Cons

you have to fight for hours if you aren't full time, which they rarely do. Impossible to move. Terrible starting wage.

"I worked with great people here, in a not so great, underlying job."

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a decent discount and book loaning program. Most of the employees are friendly and rudeness is usually nipped at the bud. Relatively fun work environment.

Cons

Vastly underpaid for hard work, lack of training, many of the employees just don't care and neither does management really. Little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus on training your employees, and giving appreciation for those who care. Pay and opportunity advancement would be great.

3. "Co-Workers are exceptional, management not so much"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    Discount
    Book loan program for employees

Cons

Management
    Overpriced merchandise
    Management focuses on the business, not the employee's + customers

Advice to Management

If your employees feel like you don't care about them they won't care about what they're doing at work. There are far too many managers going in and out of stores for employees to form bonds and feel like they matter.

"Fun job for low pay."

Former Employee - Key Holder in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a reader, so having the employee discount was a good thing. Plus getting to know customers and books is amazing. I love giving great, even exceptional customer service.

Cons

Working for low pay. Putting up with the tawdry activities of management.

Advice to Management

Treat those on the front lines of your business with the respect they deserve.

5. "Overall was a good experience for a me as a high school student."

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-30% off discount
    -made friends with fellow staff
    -customers were almost always a joy
    -most managers were welcoming and nice
    -when asked for a reference letter, one of the managers happily obliged
    -the Starbucks in our store gave free samples to employees sometimes

Cons

- it got very slow at times even during the holiday season
    -had a certain manager who would be very impatient when teaching how to do things and often would make the trainee feel stupid
    -it got pretty gruelling when on feet for 5+ hours as the breaks were only 15 min
    -frantic management

"Pretty neutral"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff discounts and atmosphere. Lots of variety in work and very easy for the most part.

Cons

Very cliquey and hard to find a place if you aren't an instant favourite of the majority. Managers are also often too busy to notice this which makes for a potentially toxic environment.

Advice to Management

The managers need to be managed and you need to use your good floor staff no matter if the majority likes them or not.

7. "Excellent Company to work for"

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time

Pros

A company that truly believes in customer service. You are encouraged to have genuine conversations with people. Most stores other than at holiday times make sure that there are never more than 3 people in line. The store I worked for in Shawnessy has the best of the best and you were always encouraged to do your best because they treated you like gold as well. Pay is the same as most retail jobs but at least here you are treated with respect and compassion. Lot of fun and for the most part customers are fabulous -- I call it civilized retail

Cons

Unfortunately hours aren't regular and you only get two weeks notice of shifts

Advice to Management

really need to work at bringing the online store prices and store prices to be more in line. Delivery times and prices for shipping are a little high

8. "It was a good place to work."

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Books. So many great choices. Getting to see the books before anyone else.

Cons

The staff can be a little snobby about genres. It's retail so there's that.

"Retail, Customer Service, Repetitive."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Definitely the environment gives for no complaints, the free books are also a plus. I would end a shift with practically $40 worth of reading and that's for only one shift. I absolutely adore my coworkers and the managers are accommodating. The culture of the workplace tries to be as pleasant as possible. There are employee discounts of up to 30% and even treats. Snacks before work are brought to us by other coworkers for festivities.

Indigo, the place to shop for gifts or just to browse. The place is an absolute magical customer experience sweet spot, the merchandise we carry are great. No doubt that there will be seasonal decor for each upcoming occasion. Employees resist the temptation to use their hourly earnings on product placed on our shelfs.

There will never be a day where an interesting novel didn't catch the eyes of employees looking for their next read. The options are endless, we might as well be our own book club. No dehumanizing for those who don't read though, I just have been more captivated by books ever since the first day of working for the company.

Cons

The hours are somewhat scattered, and there is never a consistent and on-going shift order that can be expected. Hours and shifts are computer operated therefore the request for a routine is unlikely. It is also retail, so the pace is quite repetitive. Departments have to be chosen wisely before applying or else you might end up stuck in somewhere you can get so bored in.

There is constant and never ending sale goals that are required during work. An expectation to sell products that add onto customer's purchases. Expected to collect donations for cause. Speeches of donations that are assessed during review period.

This is the place that customers want to come and work at but then when you actually become an employee, you then realize that this is only useful to full time students. I have tried, in the past to apply for this company. My friends and I had spoken several times about how wonderful it'd be to actually work in the Indigo store. Though now that I have personally lived out a small and mentioned career dream of mine and probably most of my colleagues, I see the higher earning potential that I am capable of throughout my future.

With a minimum of 4 hours a shift and the max of 8 hours, there is consideration for another part time job or even a full time job. No real ability to migrate from departments to gain more experience because the expectation from your category manager have been already set. That being the case, there is no possible way to have employees from one department switch shifts with another. Meaning there only can be switches through trained individuals who have been trained within the same placement.

I understand the benefits of controlling your employees to avoid paying overtime and providing benefits but that is what makes them uninterested and not committed to the company. Losing their drive and passion for such a great place to work. Unfortunately, this manipulative business decision can be classified and hidden behind "professionalism and just business".

Advice to Management

Be more open and pay close attention to those willing to work longer and harder for minimum pay. Don't miss out by not realizing the potential that the people you helped hire. For they can surprise and really make the workplace a better place. Slowly build a team worth having and provide opportunities to develop incredible employees.

10. "Customer Experience Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- employee discount
    - coworkers
    - management
    - environment

Cons

- can often be really slow on 8 hour shifts after Christmas season
    - salary

Advice to Management

Raises would be great as we try our best to do the heavy work and don't have opportunities to get higher wages as the company is cheap. 8 hour shifts can often be a drag and you get in trouble for just standing behind kids cash even though you've cleaned he area multiple times and aren't allowed to leave it. Otherwise it is a great environment to work with great people. Best job I've ever had