Indigo Books & Music Reviews in Calgary, AB | Glassdoor

Indigo Books & Music Calgary Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Calgary, AB, Canada Area (Canada)

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Indigo Books & Music Chairman and CEO Heather M. Reisman
Heather M. Reisman

Pros
  • Great people, great atmosphere, great books (in 23 reviews)

• They treat their employees well, and work life balance is strongly encouraged (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage went up we just got bumped up to it without previous raises being added (in 28 reviews)

• Head office out of touch with what frontline workers dealt with (in 19 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company to work for"

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time

Pros

A company that truly believes in customer service. You are encouraged to have genuine conversations with people. Most stores other than at holiday times make sure that there are never more than 3 people in line. The store I worked for in Shawnessy has the best of the best and you were always encouraged to do your best because they treated you like gold as well. Pay is the same as most retail jobs but at least here you are treated with respect and compassion. Lot of fun and for the most part customers are fabulous -- I call it civilized retail

Cons

Unfortunately hours aren't regular and you only get two weeks notice of shifts

Advice to Management

really need to work at bringing the online store prices and store prices to be more in line. Delivery times and prices for shipping are a little high

"Pretty neutral"

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff discounts and atmosphere. Lots of variety in work and very easy for the most part.

Cons

Very cliquey and hard to find a place if you aren't an instant favourite of the majority. Managers are also often too busy to notice this which makes for a potentially toxic environment.

Advice to Management

The managers need to be managed and you need to use your good floor staff no matter if the majority likes them or not.

"Retail, Customer Service, Repetitive."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Definitely the environment gives for no complaints, the free books are also a plus. I would end a shift with practically $40 worth of reading and that's for only one shift. I absolutely adore my coworkers and the managers are accommodating. The culture of the workplace tries to be as pleasant as possible. There are employee discounts of up to 30% and even treats. Snacks before work are brought to us by other coworkers for festivities.

Indigo, the place to shop for gifts or just to browse. The place is an absolute magical customer experience sweet spot, the merchandise we carry are great. No doubt that there will be seasonal decor for each upcoming occasion. Employees resist the temptation to use their hourly earnings on product placed on our shelfs.

There will never be a day where an interesting novel didn't catch the eyes of employees looking for their next read. The options are endless, we might as well be our own book club. No dehumanizing for those who don't read though, I just have been more captivated by books ever since the first day of working for the company.

Cons

The hours are somewhat scattered, and there is never a consistent and on-going shift order that can be expected. Hours and shifts are computer operated therefore the request for a routine is unlikely. It is also retail, so the pace is quite repetitive. Departments have to be chosen wisely before applying or else you might end up stuck in somewhere you can get so bored in.

There is constant and never ending sale goals that are required during work. An expectation to sell products that add onto customer's purchases. Expected to collect donations for cause. Speeches of donations that are assessed during review period.

This is the place that customers want to come and work at but then when you actually become an employee, you then realize that this is only useful to full time students. I have tried, in the past to apply for this company. My friends and I had spoken several times about how wonderful it'd be to actually work in the Indigo store. Though now that I have personally lived out a small and mentioned career dream of mine and probably most of my colleagues, I see the higher earning potential that I am capable of throughout my future.

With a minimum of 4 hours a shift and the max of 8 hours, there is consideration for another part time job or even a full time job. No real ability to migrate from departments to gain more experience because the expectation from your category manager have been already set. That being the case, there is no possible way to have employees from one department switch shifts with another. Meaning there only can be switches through trained individuals who have been trained within the same placement.

I understand the benefits of controlling your employees to avoid paying overtime and providing benefits but that is what makes them uninterested and not committed to the company. Losing their drive and passion for such a great place to work. Unfortunately, this manipulative business decision can be classified and hidden behind "professionalism and just business".

Advice to Management

Be more open and pay close attention to those willing to work longer and harder for minimum pay. Don't miss out by not realizing the potential that the people you helped hire. For they can surprise and really make the workplace a better place. Slowly build a team worth having and provide opportunities to develop incredible employees.

"it sucked."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people you work with ate chips. they are also decent and books are neat. coffee is always close as well.

Cons

you have to be able to sell. always be closing. you have to talk to people all the time whoch can be annoying.

Advice to Management

you shouldn't hire goats.

"Cheap and Misleading"

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The company attracts bright and friendly individuals, both staff and customers. Everyone is a pleasure to work with
    - Free books and events provided by publishers
    - 30% staff discount
    - Working with books is great

Cons

- CERs start off at minimum wage, and you're lucky if you get even a cost of living increase after a glowing and positive review. The company seems reluctant to invest anything in its employees
    - Lower management doesn't get it much better. Store managers seem to get stuck with constantly giving out bad news while enforcing arbitrary corporate demands
    - Communication between head office and stores is abysmal. Conflicting instructions week to week make store level employees feel like they're running in circles
    - Similarly, Head Office seems oblivious to what customers actually want. For example, phasing out the Chapters brand when it is by far the most popular storefront is an idiotic idea and receives a lot of backlash at a store level.
    - Store selection seems to be dictated by the whims of the CEO, who treats it like her own lifestyle brand instead of a book and music store.

Advice to Management

Lower management: Support your staff. Allow individual stores to have a little more personality instead of being cookie cutter clones of Heather Reisman's closet
    Upper Management: Spend more time in stores. No really, spend actual time in stores, like a week or two. Listen to what customers want and, for goodness sake, DON'T retire the Chapters brand!

"Indigo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, most customers are nice, I loved working with my managers they were very easy going and rarely stressed

Cons

No benefits, and low pay, few customers are extremely rude,

"Work there for the books, not the pay"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are fantastic. If you love books it's great, I loved being able to pick a book at random and read it on my break. Management was decent. Didn't always seem to be good communications between head office thought the stores needed and they actually did.

Cons

Terrible pay, not livable. Not a lot of variety, can be really boring. Really hard to move up, especially if you work the floor. Might have just been the area, but the customers were terrible.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for your employees and pay them more.

"It had potential to be great"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good hiring standards, you tend to work with really fantastic people
    -Decently fun job -- books and tolerable gift products

Cons

-No opportunity for advancement whatsoever unless you're willing to spend a very, very long time with the company (and even then, not always)
    -Ridiculously poor pay relative to the industry
    -Depending on your status, work/life balance can be poor
    -Ordering system seems a little clueless as to the actual size of stores
    -Head office has the attention span of a goldfish -- constantly aimlessly changing priorities

Advice to Management

Invest in good people and they'll invest back in you. Until then, stop being surprised by having a massive turnover rate.

10. "Very organized and reliable"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great perks if you love to read books (advanced copies of books before they are released)

Cons

the pay is very basic. to live off of this salary is not possible

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing. frequent vista from the CEO are nice

"Meh"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people are great.

Cons

A lot of the people aren't great.

Advice to Management

Meh. It's a McJob. I guess keep on keeping on.