Indigo Books & Music Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

3.3
Indigo Books & Music Chairman and CEO Heather M. Reisman
Heather M. Reisman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great experience working with great people (in 32 reviews)

• positive work environment and engaging atmosphere (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • After working here for over five years I barely made a few cents above minimum wage as every time (in 59 reviews)

• No Full time work available, many people have two jobs to support themselves (in 34 reviews)

1. "Warehouse associate"

Former Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick learner, punctual, team work skills

Cons

Flow of work if it is slow than it will bore me..

2. "Great Place To Start Career"

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music full-time

Pros

The people are exceptional. Kind and smart. Salary is competitive for the publishing industry but not the best among all retailers. Great place to start your career as you'll learn a ton.

Cons

Culture varies from business unit to business unit. Flexibility in work culture depends on manager i.e. working from home. Very little formal training provided to employees. IT is out of date. Constant change in strategic direction doesn't allow for a true benchmark.

Advice to Management

The willingness of the company to change is admirable but too much change is not always a good thing.

3. "Customer Experience Representative - Permanent"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is great to share your love of books with customers, and help brighten their day by adding a little joy to their shopping experience. I love to receive recommendations from customers, and the other employees I work with are fantastic.

Cons

There isn't a lot of opportunity for full-time employment, and you still face the typical downsides of a retail environment - customers who do not always respect you, sometimes working while understaffed, to name a couple.

Advice to Management

To have extra staff on hand during busier hours, and hiring seasonal employees with more open availability.

4. "Customer Experience Representative"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Customer Experience Representative in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible atmosphere, probably one of my best employment experiences ever. There's a really high sense of community, encouraged and fostered by management. Employees are really encouraged to put their own personal touch to the store and their own work via Staff Picks, bringing books home to read, getting to know each other's preferences to help make recommendations ("Oh if you're looking for a sci-fi book then I'll call over my co-worker so-and-so..."), adding your own personal literary-relevant buttons and pins to the uniform...

You really feel as an employee that your employers cared not just about making sure you were happy, but making sure you felt like you were contributing and important.

Cons

The technological integration in terms of scheduling and communication was interesting and convenient at times, but frustrating at others. If you needed to change a shift, you would "post" it for other employees to see and make offers for, and if you wanted to pick up more shifts than the manager was giving you could look at shifts other employees had posted. The downside was that you couldn't ever see anyone else's schedule, and if no one was bidding on your shift there wasn't a lot you could do. The pager/walkie-talkie system also was prone to breaking, and during the high holiday rush there often weren't enough earpieces for everybody. When you get used to always having everyone in your ear ready to help out and coordinate, being that one employee unconnected from everyone else can be very anxiety-inducing.

Advice to Management

One thing I felt was that I would never have known if I was doing something wrong. Once training was over and we knew the general layout of the store, we weren't given a lot of direction on how to spend our time. Which was good, because there were no penalties if we ended up spending an hour with a customer and didn't have time to complete assigned tasks. The general lack of specificity made everyone much more flexible, but also meant some areas got missed for attention (the comic books were always a disaster to fix at the end of the night). I often ended up in the bargain section when I found myself at loose ends, because it was always such a mess, but occasionally a supervisor would come over and tell me to leave it and focus on something more important, like a display table that needed the piles reshaped. On an overall level I think a little more specificity would have helped for "things that need attention for this point in time" and on a personal level, some kind of standard "this is what you're doing great, this is what you could work on" would keep me reassured that management is happy with me and not silently becoming frustrated with how I'm doing.

5. "CER Experience at Indigo"

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and easy-going team of co-workers and managers. They also have a great online system for employees called TEAM where the schedules are posted and you can also bid on shifts and post your shifts for people to bid on if you are busy that day.

Cons

Lack of shifts for part-time workers and the pay isn't too great. Not many opportunities for work for the part-time workers and there seems to be a greater preference to the full-time workers.

6. "Pretty good overall"

Current Employee - Seasonal Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very welcoming and accepting company culture

Cons

-Usual downsides of retail, can get rushed at holidays etc.

7. "Love my job"

Current Contractor - Tasker in Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Tasker in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- simple but challenging
    - small store
    - great discount
    - awesome team

Cons

Not enough hours for my needs.

"On-boarding & Training"

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Online on-boarding is fantastic. Very informative and educational.

Cons

Physical training in store is incredibly disorganized and chaotic. One almost gets the feeling they have never hired or trained staff before. No explanation of next steps prior to the next step.

Advice to Management

Ensure that staff trainers have all materials prepared and ready to give to new employee's. Ensure staff trainers are actually trained in the art of training...not fun to have a trainer that wants to talk about what she doesn't do because she is too busy that is breaking protocol and constantly making very clear to not bother managers because they will get mad as they too are so busy dealing with manager stuff.

"I worked with great people here, in a not so great, underlying job."

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a decent discount and book loaning program. Most of the employees are friendly and rudeness is usually nipped at the bud. Relatively fun work environment.

Cons

Vastly underpaid for hard work, lack of training, many of the employees just don't care and neither does management really. Little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus on training your employees, and giving appreciation for those who care. Pay and opportunity advancement would be great.

10. "Indigo Books"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great, the job is as hard as you want it to be

Cons

The pay is awful

Advice to Management

Can be oblivious some times to the effort put in by employees, Micromanagement is also a problem at many stores