Individual Advocacy Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
David Brooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Disability Specialist Person"

Current Employee - Disability Specialist in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Disability Specialist in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping Others Less Fortunate then your self

Cons

Rate of Pay For Work Done .

2. "Great People"

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment! knowledgeable staff and the individuals are a joy to work with!

Cons

Low wages!!! need a better benefits package

Advice to Management

Figure out ways to compensate employees for their years of service

3. "great company"

Current Employee - Intern in Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Individual Advocacy Group (Less than a year)

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

nothing to complain about here

4. "Stepping stone job"

Former Employee - DSP
    Former Employee - DSP

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group part-time

Pros

The work with individuals was wonderful. I did not have contact with administration. The work was rewarding but hard sometimes.

Cons

I got called a lot outside my schedule to fill in for other people a lot which is why I had to leave but I got good experience and was hired somewhere else pretty fast.

Advice to Management

I did not deal with management so I do not have any advice.

"Dr. Charlene Bennett - awful CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group (More than a year)

Pros

The staff are Individual Advocacy Group (IAG) are extremely professional and take an active interest in serving the clients - adults with mental illness and physical disabilities.

Cons

The Chief Executive Officer - Dr. Charlene Bennett - is extremely abusive to staff. She yells at staff in her office but it can be heard throughout the headquarters offices. She exults in exercising her power - demanding staff jump to her every whim immediately (and I do mean immediately) even when involved in phone conversations or meetings not involving her.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors should hire an outside agency to conduct interviews with current and former staff focusing on Dr Bennett's "management" style with a view towards removing her from office.

6. "Worst management and staff treated terrible!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with amazing people, staff may come and go but those who truly care stick it out and care for the individuals no matter what.

Cons

When push comes to shove, those who bend over backwards to keep things going are the ones who lose in the end, no surprise with IAG. Not because of actual issues with one's work performance, OH NO!. I believe there's a problem with how staff are treated and compensated for giving it their all and then some when no one else would do the work!! Promises constantly broken and if it's not in writing you better believe the CEO will say she never said it. It's scary when you're being discriminated against and you can't do anything about it, because the CEO refuses to speak to her staff. Instead she'll send her minions and spies. What did you think you would find? Nothing! Nothing but staff busting their backsides to care for those that deserve to be cared for. It makes me sick to see these individuals hurt because they care so much for us staff only to be ripped away without any goodbyes. The CEO and Corporate could care less about the individuals feelings.

Advice to Management

The pointing fingers and accusations are over, look in the mirror and face the facts. Failure comes from corporate management Dr Bennett.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group (More than a year)

Pros

High Pay, Coworkers, Residents, Work from Home option

Cons

CEO, Poorly Organized, Chaotic, Bad work/life balance

8. "DSP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL

Pros

Loved the individuals and my direct supervisor. Enjoyed coming to work daily and interacting with my co-works and the clients.

Cons

I liked it...I don't have anything negative to say

9. "One opinion"

Pros

Staff from top to bottom are dedicated to clients served. Opportunities for overtime exist. Great to see a company care for an often forgotten population.

Cons

Often short staffed, lots of staff turnover therefore others work long hours. Company operates in crisis mode and takes on work before prepared.

Advice to Management

Improve work culture to retain staff. Leadership needs to improve communication and listen to those providing direct care so quality care is consistently provided.

"Much better than other agencies"

I have been working at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I used to work at another agency in the area that provides similar services. They weren't a bad company but they didn't offer the chance to grow that I have experienced at IAG. When you show that you are willing and able to take on more responsibility it is likely that you will get it.

Cons

Like most work environments, there are some people that work here who do not take their jobs seriously. They are there for the money and complain every time management asks them to do anything. Fortunately, these people are few and far between. For those of us that truly care about the people we serve and show up everyday willing to work it is an awesome place to be!

Advice to Management

I feel bad that you sometimes have to walk on eggshells for 1 or 2 employees that do not work as hard as the rest of us. Those of us who take our jobs seriously are greatful for the hard work and long hours you put in to keep our program running well.