Industrial Designers Society of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 6, 2017

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work... for the right individual"

Current Employee - Management in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Birthday's & Christmas-New Years off, casual, fun atmosphere, thorough review process, easy commute/ parking, no "time clock mentality". Management listens and (usually) respond.

Cons

Weak pension plan, can let bad situations simmer too long, especially "bad apples" but improving. Lots of balls in air.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Improve benefits package. Consider reinstating work at home policies.

"Toxic culture. Have had 4 employees leave in the last year alone!"

I worked at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time

Pros

Their health benefits are pretty decent. The dress code is casual, which means you can wear jerseys and sweatpants if you like.

Cons

Zero opportunities for growth. Have had 4 employees leave in the last year alone because of the really terrible work culture. If you're ok with being bullied and blamed for the performance of others who are clear "favorites" among the higher-ups, then this job is for you.

Advice to Management

Management really needs to be re-hired. Every single one of them.

"A great place to work... if you're one of three people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parking is plentiful. You'll never run into traffic on the way here. Birthdays off, plus week between Christmas and New Years. Members themselves are great.

Cons

The office culture is absolutely toxic. Micromanagement abounds, as there is a clear lack of trust between management and employees. When something goes wrong, management is quick to point fingers rather than take ownership (despite the micromanagement). Gossip is rampant; it's very much a "high school" environment, rather than being a collaborative space where everyone is part of a team. Employees are afraid to speak out, and "anonymous" reviews are barely that. When something goes wrong, it's less about fixing it, and more about "how can we spin this to the board and who can we throw under the bus?" This is not an organization that cares about its members.

Advice to Management

Management is going to stick around and just scapegoat employees that aren't here any longer (or existing employees lower on the totem-pole), so what's the point? My advice would be: "resign," because until senior management does, the organization will continue to suffer. Membership is down, revenue is down, some bad vendor deals have lost tens of thousands of dollars. Will be very surprised if IDSA exists in 5 years at the current rate it's going.

"So Why Aren't You Running?"

Pros

Great flexibility. Great hours. Nice people. Casual atmosphere. Casual dress code.

Cons

Negative overflow from employees who are miserable and think they are overworked/underpaid.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the negative energy in the office. There are plenty of people who are happy to be here, happy to have jobs and willing to work for a paycheck. The generation of 'what's in it for me' and 'enough about you, let's talk about me' needs a life lesson or two. I recommend that YOU, whoever you are, get out as fast as you can, before someone deservedly shows you the door.

"Great place to work for those who understand real life"

I have been working at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, flexible benefits, flexible dress code, even flexibility in work duties. I was hired to do one task and after mastering that and expressing interest in other areas, have been given ample opportunity to pursue those things. Management is always pushing us to explore what else we can do, would like to do - promoting from within when possible. Creative, collaborative environment is nice when everyone is on board and motivated. Free coffee. Oddly complimentary mixtures of personality. Benefits are unheard of - some aspects are better than the Federal Government! Work/life balance is awesome, family friendly - whether it's your kids, your partner, your grandma or your dog. All are important and all are welcome.

Cons

That said, occasionally, a bad egg will try to bring spirits down, but 97% of the population here is glad to be here. Telecommute is restricted to bad weather days. Once in a red moon, you have to work late (red moons happen 4x a year). Maid service does a less than average job in the community bathrooms. There are people in the world who have had no life experience and don't yet realize how great this place is, not being just a number on the payroll roster. That it's called work for a reason - you are expected to do something in exchange for your salary and if you have good sense, you'll do something you enjoy. Those people make it annoying to work with at times because they will have to figure it out, just like the rest of the adult world did.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This place has grown significantly better since I started working here. Continue to be honest while building up the people who work with/for you. Some people aren't mature enough to handle the real world and the way a successful business functions. Stomp out any snakes in the grass before they can poison the rest.

"Don't walk, RUN away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time

Pros

No DC commute, good health benefits and vacation/sick time

Cons

Senior management volleys between micromanaging to the point that no one can get anything done and being completely ignorant about what is going on and what needs to be done. IDSA claims a "collaborative" wok environment. In practice though they push personal agendas and only want your opinion if you agree with them. Those in charge consistently pass blame, provide information to the board that is deceptive at best about how things are going and rant about how incompetent certain volunteers are or how terrible some past or current employee is. The staff is overworked and we have had a revolving door of employees for a s long as I have been here. The two most recent hires in Q4 2014 were both gone within 3 weeks of being hired, one was let go and the other quit before being here a month. Privileges are doled out very inequitably and decisions made based on one person's opinions instead of facts. I am one of many here looking for jobs and I can not wait until I leave... it can't come quick enough. If I could give less than 1 star for career opportunities, senior management and culture I would.

Advice to Management

Put someone in charge who knows what they are doing and has some sense of personal ethics and actually cares more about the organization and doing a good job than about making herself look good at everyone else's expense. Being a "designer" does not qualify someone to do every other job on the planet better than everyone else.

Industrial Designers Society of America Response

Feb 4, 2015 – Executive Director

Interesting timing for this review since we had just completed a comprehensive anonymous review of the Executive Director and a 360 degree full-staff review. The responses were overwhelmingly... More

7. "Really interesting work and products, but lack of consistency in employees."

Former Intern - Intern in Herndon, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Herndon, VA

I worked at Industrial Designers Society of America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The designers they worked with were awesome! They also had a lot of room to network and reach people everywhere.

Cons

They were going through a change in executives at the time so it was a bit disorganized.

"I enjoyed my job and supporting the industrial design industry, but the office culture beat me down."

I worked at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good work-life balance
    * Short commute
    * Nice office
    * Convenient parking

Cons

* A few dominating personalities that made it miserable for many
    * No growth opportunities
    * No matching for 401K
    * CEO micromanaged

"Lack of professionalism in interview process. Current employees beware."

Pros

Location and nature of business.

Cons

The management doesn't seem to know what they want. They advertise for positions, interview several candidates and then repost a different position for less money. This is done without any follow up to those candidates who took the time to interview. Very rude and unprofessional. Beware to current employees as they are clearly not happy with certain functions and are trying to advertise for positions to eliminate status quo.

"An ok place to work. A little behind the times."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Some nice people. Easy parking

Cons

No career development. Low salary. A few dominating personalities.