Industrial Scientific Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Industrial Scientific Corp President & CEO Justin McElhattan
Justin McElhattan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"BEST OF THE BEST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR"

Former Employee - Principal Scientist
    Former Employee - Principal Scientist

I worked at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Industrial Scientific Corporation is a wonderful place to work. The McElhattan family is incredibly kind and generous. They truly treat their employees like family and provide them the best tools and work environment. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at ISC, particularly at the Oakdale location where I could easily jump into the lab to test new ideas in the evenings and on weekends. One of my fondest memories there is giving my preschool daughter (now a college student) color pencils and a piece of paper to draw in my cubicle while I worked in the lab. My door was always locked so I had to come out from time to time to assure her I was around or award her something from the vending machine downstairs. It was truly a place I could call home. At ISC, I was surrounded by many humble and talented colleagues who inspired me to be a better person.

Cons

High quality products require discipline and strict process control to produce; However, over-emphasizing processes sometimes slowed down innovation and hurt employee morale especially when workplace politics was involved.

"ISC Post-acquisition"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Team Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Newer facility. Company us very customer-oriented.

Cons

Since the acquisition, company has become very shareholder and revenue driven.

Advice to Management

Return to the Employees First mentality.

3. "Industrial Scientific is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Education benefits are great. There is plenty of opportunity to learn on the job and further your career.

Cons

ISC is in the middle of a transition with Fortive. Fortive recently purchased ISC. Sometimes this can be challenging and things may be lost in the shuffle, but overall, ISC is a great place to work.

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to pursue software improvements as needed

Cons

Skeleton crew, stuck on constant schedule of maintenance rather than fixing problems at a system level.

Advice to Management

Staff teams more appropriately

"Going downhill fast!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New, clean building. Flexible hours are great and it's a convenient location for me. Lots of good people work here but I'm very sad about how quickly one of the city's "best places to work" has fell apart. Notice we didn't make the list this year. Lots of disgruntled employees.

Cons

Sellouts. Can't blame them, I would've dumped the company too so I could be filthy rich. Nobody got raises last year so the numbers would look better for the sale. Now the famous 401k match is gone.

I was convinced that the mcelhattans really cared about the employees but it's hard to believe that when they pocket a ton of cash and tell us it's for the best while taking money away from us.

Lots of politics, constantly changing procedures without discussion or formal notification. Making it up as we go.

Advice to Management

Prove me wrong and give us all raises to make up for the 401k.

"Can not say enough good things about ISC!"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees first philosophy goes an incredibly long way. They've managed to cultivate something amazing by putting employees first, customers second and shareholders third. I only realize after leaving how remarkable the "compact", an agreement between the employee and Company, really is. Having a company spell out that they will provide you the best tools, systems, and working conditions in the world required for your work, is not only unusual, but very special.

Their brand new headquarters in Pittsburgh is fantastic and it shows that they care about their employees. Cafeteria is spectacular, with a chef on site. Their lunch is better than what I can cook myself. Labs are full of the tech needed to develop best-in-class products. Manufacturing on site. Desks are modern, comfortable, and satisfying.

Salary and benefits are above average. Outrageous 401(k) match - 200% up to 8%.

Management is caring, responsive, and responsible. Having the best leaders lead the best people produces the best products, hands down.

The CEO, Justin, has a clear vision for the company, and how to take it there. He is also remarkably kind and personable. He knows everyone's name, seriously. He must practice on the commute in.

Cons

This is a small company acting like big company, and so comes the overhead of process and formality. It can seem obtuse sometimes going through systems and process just to work with someone just across the floor.

I would still argue its far better than a large company acting like a small company with no process.

"Changing culture"

I have been working at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time

Pros

Most employees are genuinly nice people

Cons

The direction and culture has changed a lot over the years, and not to the best

8. "Great products and mission."

I worked at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time

Pros

Most of the people really care about doing a great job.

Cons

Not many, sometimes needless change.

9. "Great people and a great cause"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and knowing that you are helping to keep people safe.

Cons

The benefits used to be amazing but as of late have been getting worse.

10. "Amazing company that does very important work"

I worked at Industrial Scientific Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has a very clear vision that provides you with meaningful work that really does matter. You literally get to help save lives.

Fantastic benefits

Amazing colleagues that are some of the top innovators in the space

Cons

The technology innovations can't keep pace with the thought and leadership innovations the team delivers.

Career advancement is tough without relocating.

Advice to Management

Keep working the vision. It is compelling and impactful.