IndyMac Bancorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "Sr. Underwriter"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Good salaries, high volume, plenty of time off, risk management availability, highly skilled emplyees still offered overtime pay, imaging, short commute

Cons

lack of knowledgable employees, lack of skilled management, no opportunity for advancement, country club atmosphere, male driven environment, no cohesive risk strategy, sales driven production environment

Advice to Management

NA

2. "Good place to work before taken over by FDIC"

Former Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Easy to move up the ladder in relatively short period of time. Overall i was satisfied with senior management and their abilities to get things done quickly when needed

Cons

There was too much middle management who mostly sat around in meetings all day but weren't ever contributing to the end product. Paying for parking and office politics

Advice to Management

Give the employees more value, the ones that are left have been through quite a bit for this company and deserve to be compensated well for this. Don't make employees pay for parking!

3. "Senior Analyst."

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA

Pros

The going was good only during the good time. When the going was bad, it was bad.

Cons

No future, especially when the FDIC took over the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the line workers, customers, all people who is linked to the company for improvement ... and try to incorporate suggested improvements.

5. "OK Experience, but a lot of initiative taken upon yourself for personal growth in your career"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pasadena, CA

Pros

In terms of IT, the best reason to work there is the numerous resources that is afforded for the company.

Cons

The downside is the excessive specialization of every department. So, it is tough for a person to personally understand how to create an enterprise system.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the value of every employee. See if more involvement can lead to better growth in the company.

6. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pasadena, CA

Pros

It's a good place to start off your career. The managers in our department are great with letting us take time off. Easy job. Great HQ location

Cons

Overworked employees, health benefits, PTO accural, not big bonuses, no OT available, no training

Advice to Management

Try to change culture of a company. Try to compensate emplyoees more with what they are worth.

7. "don't bother applying unless you've applied everywhere else first and are really desperate for a job"

Former Employee - Loan Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Consultant in Irvine, CA

Pros

If you couldn't find a job anywhere else

Cons

Senior management has no idea how to run a company and doesn't begin to know what employees need. Management constantly talks down to the employees and calls them "Professionals" while treating them like children.

Advice to Management

There's so much potential at this company and it's all being wasted. Speak to the employees that are on the front lines and stop making decisions based on experience that has no relevance in this market. Your support personnel are being paid more than your sales people who are starving with their antiquated 100% commission pay plans. You can't expect anyone to earn a living based on pay plans created during the boom. You can't expect good talent to stick around when you treat them like children and don't give them the opportunity to produce and earn a living.

8. "not a good company"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Pasadena, CA

Pros

closer to home, near metrolink

Cons

the company is cheap in term of salary, benefits such as 401k, parking fees, profit sharing and raise
    the company is obsessed with performance evaluation, and tests given to new hires

Advice to Management

I left the company in April. The management was definitely undesirable. A great company does not need to be stingy about parking, benefits and excessive employee performance evaluation

"Indymac -- some managers are good but senior management sucks"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Pasadena, CA

Pros

I got a lot of positive feedback from my immediate supervisors when I was there. All of my immediate supervisors were supportive. One even helped me get a different position within the company when senior management terminated the position that I was in.

Cons

Company was in serious trouble when I was there. You go to work and never know when your last day is going to be. Any day you can be fired, even if you are doing a great job. I almost got laid off twice. The first time, I got an email on Wednesday informing me that I wouldn't have a job come Monday. So in other words, I had two days to find a new job. Another time I narrowly avoided being laid off - - my immediate manager told found out through the rumour mill that senior management was looking for reductions in my department so I found a job two weeks before I was scheduled to be terminated.

Advice to Management

Stop dealing with these stupid subprime loans.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Employees were great, compensation was great, also the benefits.

Cons

The stress level. The responsibility and the over work, they had a three tier system, red green and yellow. If you were in the yellow twice you lost your job. Let up on the stress, too much time and attention was focused on lists and reports not enough timeon moral and spirit. Not enough out the box thinking.

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Pasadena, CA

Pros

You really can't unless you're willing to work for lower wages/salary on the retail side of the bank. The rest of the firm has been shut down. When the bank was profitable, work was steady and everyone thought their boring, unchallenging jobs were secure.

Cons

Performance reviews are not merit based. It depends on how much you're able to brown-nose, be a yes-person, and backstab other people in the company so that you look like you're ahead of the crowd. They were also ranked against everyone in your job class. If you were an analyst, part of your review ranked you against all the analysts of your job grade regardless of what department you were in. Hours are longer for single, childless workers than they are for married parents. Have you ever stayed late to finish your boss' project because your boss had to take her daughter to non-school extracurricular activity like mother-daughter night, bowling, or bingo? The more incompetent you are at your job, the more likely you'll get promoted to VP status. The people who got laid off in July were told they were being laid off by conference call. How callous is that?

Advice to Management

Haha, except for MP everyone else resigned, gave notice, or got laid off. I'd say that for the new management team, don't let your profits or business plan be undermined by letting sales leadership take control of the entire organization.