Infinitive Washington DC Reviews

Updated Oct 19, 2020

3.2
Infinitive Founder & CEO Denis McFarlane (no image)
Denis McFarlane

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Infinitive full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working for Infinitive. There's been change over the last year, but this is what happens when companies grow. I believe the core values are standing strong through the changes. At the end of the day every job has a performance aspect and as an employee it's your responsibility to ask for feedback, aspire to grow yourself, and take advantage of opportunities that you're given. I believe Infinitive sets employees up for success and any time I've ever brought up a concern leadership goes out of their way to address it. I have everything they told me I would have during the interview process including flexibility.

Cons

I can see how the flat structure can be frustrating and hard to know how you're progressing and what you're progressing to. However, it's also a way to take control and create your own career path it's not an out or up structure and you're not stuck doing one thing.

September 21, 2020Director of People Operations

Thank you for the feedback. We're actively becoming more engaged on this channel and appreciate the perspective from this earlier time period.

"Mediocre and Self-indulged"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Consultant in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Infinitive full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some very talented and likeable people there.

Cons

Infinitive's idea of resource planning is basically hiring, lay-offs, hiring, lay-offs. Constantly chasing the next shiny object. Seems like a cash-cow to feed the owner new boats and planes.

3. COVID-19

"Great internship"

4.0
    Former Intern - Technology Intern in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Infinitive for less than a year

Pros

- great people - great management - flat structure - good culture

Cons

- not very developed internship (but it was during covid)

September 21, 2020Director of People Operations

Thanks for your note and POV on the 2020 internship experience (during COVID). We've adapted the program given the circumstances, but will continue to focus on making it impactful for those in our cohorts and also emerging into the consulting world.

"Regularly Has Large Layoffs, Deletes Reviews of Employees"

Current Employee - Principal in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Infinitive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Is devoted to training employees and attempts to get feedback from employees. There are a lot of unnecessary perks such as free La Croix but these exist to distract from the fact that employees are regularly let go without cause after a month. Heavily recruits good talent but is not able to staff talent on projects or keep people employed.

Cons

I started at Infinitive on a Tuesday and on Friday 3 days later nearly 10% of the company was laid off. There is absolutely ZERO job security at this firm. In addition, Infinitive has been found guilty of deleting negative Glassdoor reviews. Infinitive does not know which direction it is going in and is perpetually confused. Consultants are regularly hired and fired without even having opportunities to work on projects. Infinitive strives to be a modern workplace and create high job satisfaction, however they are not capable of maintaining a consistent staff. Infinitive says they are transparent but also is unable to explain how projections are so much higher than actual revenues.

September 21, 2020Director of People Operations

"Infinitive serves itself not it’s employees"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Infinitive full-time for more than a year

Pros

$3000 a year towards certifications. Other consultants are very sharp and experienced.

Cons

Leadership plays decisions close to the vest and does not provide transparency. As soon as you fulfill a contract there may be as little as 1 day on the “bench”. Projects ARE staff augmentation.

September 21, 2020Director of People Operations

"Infinitive-A Bargain Consultancy for the modern world"

1.0

I have been working at Infinitive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management seems to think highly of the company -I have met some very good friends, and incredibly smart people while working here. Unfortunately most of them have either left or been forced to leave.

Cons

Sadly, any negative reviews that get put up about Infinitive get flagged and taken down pretty quickly. Good news is you can learn a great deal about them by reading the positive reviews they decide not to flag. In reality, there could only be such a stark contrast in the good and bad reviews for 2 reasons, which also happen to be the biggest flaws of the company. Either it is 1. Management is so disconnected with the employees that they either think everything is great and the only downsides are growing pains. Not recognizing the far deeper and more serious problems that exist. Or- 2. Management doesn’t worry about reality, or truly care about getting better. They are solely focused on perception to outsiders. They spend all of their time focused on making Infinitive appear like a great company to the outside world. All the while, the company is rotting from the inside out as they continue to sweep all of the problems under the carpet. Some would say it would be better to spend your time addressing the many problems noted, but instead they decide to just post their own reviews, because looking great is apparently much more important than being great. This is the way the company operates; they don’t fix problems they just try to polish them to try and drive perception into reality. They are like the IKEA furniture of Consulting, sure it looks nice at first but if you put any pressure on it, or look too close you quickly see its many flaws. Also it may be good for a starter set in college, but when you get serious about life, it is time to upgrade to something that isn’t bargain consulting. Some examples below. -The “best places to work” selection they will point to as their crown jewel. They will conveniently leave out that the 2 months leading up to the selection, they pressure employees with constant emails, meetings, and reminders to fill out the survey because of how much it means to recruiting. -The PTO Benefits they speak of are an absolute farce. They say they will give you as much time as you want off, but really they will question every vacation day you take, and bring it up at end of year reviews. This system was set up for them to save money, and that’s it. -The growing list of “exciting” logos of companies they work for is incredibly outdated and hasn’t seen a new logo in years. They often go through periods of laying large amounts of people off because it turns out when you only have 3 or 4 major clients, you aren’t very diversified. Don’t worry if you ask them about this, they will tell you they have a plan. Just don’t follow up and ask what the plan is, they haven’t gotten that far yet. -The flat structure they will tell you about where everyone is equal and titles don't matter. They will brag about how great this is and gets rid of all the bureaucracy you see at other companies. This is true if you are on the higher end of the 2 titles they have (Executive). They don't seem to care at all what the executives do, as long as the Principals continue to get them extensions. However, if you are a Principal the flat structure means you are stuck in the same spot forever. There is no actual path to Executive, and because of that the execs will use you as such. If something goes great, the exec will take the praise, if something goes bad, well that is where you come in. Don't worry though, occasionally the exec will give you a shout out in a company meeting. -The In“fun”iday events they will boast about are not nearly the party you would ever want to attend. It is normally a 2 day event for the CEO to try out his stand up material on an audience that is forced to laugh at his jokes(these jokes often cross many lines, but it’s the CEO so you will awkwardly smile and pretend it is okay). This is followed by a party where management will spend far too much money, and get inappropriately drunk, and brag about blacking out the next day. During the parties the people will often wonder how are we paying for this? That question is answered a few months later as lay offs come, but at least they got to enjoy their party. In addition, there is 0 HR system. This allows for a wild west type environment. When there is are InPHinitive HR announcements that need to be made this becomes very apparent. Anything a normal HR department would advise against, is often said by them and stood behind. The only benefit of this system is that it brings the employees closer together, because the minute one of these emails is sent, the entire employee work force comes together to redline the email and all of the many problems it presents by an ignorant “HR” rep that is neither human, nor a resource. It does allow for people to bond together and share some laughs at how woefully inadequate Infinitives PHony HR is. Some examples below. -We were once told that Insurance costs will be going up next year because as a collective workforce we used too much insurance the prior year. This was their way of putting a giant target on anyone who was using the insurance the correct way, and essentially blaming those who got surgery. Quite sure this violates many laws. -We were once told that the reason Infinitive does not offer paternity leave is because that it only benefits a small number of employees. Driving home their antiquated view of a woman’s role as a sole caregiver in the early months of a child’s life. If you are one of the lucky ones who got to read this review before it was flagged by them and taken down, I advise you to make your own decision. Please don’t simply take my word for it, because this was once a good place to work. Unfortunately, that is not the case anymore. My advice would be to go in to an interview and ask them about some of these things, and make sure that they have real satisfactory answers. If they do, then you can just write me off as a disgruntled employee, but something tells me the answers will be very generic and allow you to make an even more informed decision. On the other end, if you are the person flagging these reviews and requesting them to be taken down, please take a second to actually read the content that is written, rather then seeing something negative and immediately sweeping it under the carpet. Take a second to think that maybe this many people saying you were once a good company but not anymore, cant all be wrong. Take a second to actually address some of the many faults that have been called out, rather then hide it to enhance recruiting. Every company has flaws, but when these flaws are ignored, they tend to multiply and become far worse. Maybe if you focus on that, you can start to return to the company we were once proud of. Doubtful, given you are probably flagging this before even getting to this paragraph, but worth a shot.

"Great company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Principal in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Infinitive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers Great Opportunities for career growth Work/life balance PTO Benefits 401k match Salary

Cons

HQ is in ashburn, a bit of a drive if you are coming from DC/Arlington.

"Business Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Infinitive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The projects and partnerships in place are very exciting. Great work/life balance. Culture is still strong despite the recent dip. You can see how your contributions drive company growth. Fun bonding activities (i.e. Jiffy Lube Live tickets, TopGolf, Happy Hours etc.)

Cons

It has certainly been a challenge these last 18 months but there's a lot of momentum and excitement in terms of new opportunities.

"Buyer Beware"

Former Employee - Principal in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Infinitive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Infinitive does have some interesting and impressive client list. They do try to hire the best people and have only found an instance or two where someone was hired but didn't fit the company culture or client requirements.

Cons

Although they have an impressive list of clients, the availability of projects are sparse. Their Enterprise Risk Management division recently folded due to, what I saw as, inefficient marketing and sales. They hired a number of capable people who were eventually severed from the company because of this.

September 21, 2020Director of People Operations

10. "Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Infinitive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative environment with smart colleagues that enjoy helping clients succeed Awesome workplace with friendly people and great perks Fun team building events Boutique consulting firm that really makes a difference for big name clients Growing company that credits its employees for success Leadership team encourages innovative ideas

Cons

Some client work requires weekly travel but such is the life of a consultant and the company tries hard to balance it out

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 English Reviews