Inflexxion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Regazzi
1 Rating

1. "Company changed a lot since 2016"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Inflexxion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ownership charged at begging of 2016, complnay is leading by professional management team instead of researcher.Many new things in.
    Company has bright future and growing.
    Advanced product and technology.
    Great people to work with.
    Nice office.

Cons

Still small company and needs time to grow.
    Sometimes, in some department, very busy.
    Do not have enough people to cover all the possibilities.

2. ".net developer"

Current Employee - Senior/Lead Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior/Lead Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I have been working at Inflexxion (More than a year)

Pros

good culture and friendly anyone can ready to help you in any concerns feel free to work

Cons

expected time of deliverly always

Advice to Management

good team work

3. "Project lead"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and nice working environment for everyone in my group. Young people, lots of energy and can be very fun to work within this group. Lots of hard working co-workers who put in extra hours to make things done before deadline.

Cons

Very stressful at times, meetings every morning, lots of meetings in between. Demanding deadlines.

Advice to Management

Give employees more downtime to recharge battery in between projects.

"Enormous changes at the last minute"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although it doesn't always translate into good work-life balance for other reasons, most everyone leaves the building at 5 pm.
    They hire some very skilled and talented people.
    The company's health insurance is good.

Cons

Like many small, privately-held companies, Inflexxion exists to provide a forum for its principals to express themselves, and to shield them from the rigors of academic and corporate environments. This has left management increasingly insulated from reality, and prone to killing any messengers who arrive with bad news. During the time I was there, at least a dozen people were hired to revamp various processes and bring them into compliance with professional business and research standards. All faced irrational resistance and significant verbal abuse, and when it turned out that the revamped practices would, necessarily, be required of upper management as well as lower-echelon employees, all support for the new standards was withdrawn. Everyone involved in these initiatives either left, was fired, or was laid off. The company is unclear about its direction and therefore at a loss about how to get there.

Advice to Management

As the other reviewers have said, one option would be for you to actually listen to the experts you hire and let go of micromanaging processes you don't understand. Another possibility is to accept that Inflexxion is a vanity project that isn't intended to become a successful business, create effective products, or conduct honest research. Then you could scale back and stop hiring people for initiatives to which you're not committed.

"Wonderful people, great mission; upper management out of touch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inflexxion is a place with a lot of big ideas, some of which are great. The people who actually get implement those ideas are awesome - some of the best folks I've worked with.

The work environment is generally pretty relaxed... some of the best work-life balance I've ever had.

The projects that are active out there actually do a lot of real good in the world.

Great location, right on the Charles river!

Cons

The salaries are more in line with academic levels than corporate

Endless frustration with the issues around trying to put proper process to grant-based projects - almost every project got stripped down, way behind, or radically off-the-rails at some point or another.

Upper management, at least when I left, was still way out of touch with the working crew, and there is all but ZERO business knowledge at the top. They've tried numerous initiatives to make the transition from a grant-based academic organization to a real product-based company, and every one has fizzled, simply because no one internally has the know-how to make it happen once the consultants leave.

One of the untouchable upper managers is absolutely insufferable to work with - I don't know if anyone actually left because him, but everyone who works with him threatens it at one point or another. He's probably the single biggest cause of waste of the company's resources, but there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it or replace him. This frustrates pretty much everyone.

Advice to Management

I LOVE INFLEXXION AND I WANT IT TO SUCCEED! Learn to accept that you are a web software company and bring in more people who know how to program for the web. Bring in another management/business consultant, and this time listen to them. Hire someone in upper management with actual experience running a product-based company, and listen to THEM. Listen to your UX team and your coders and designers - they are experts in what Inflexxion claims to do, and you hired them because of it. Bring in the people who create the products WHILE the grants are being dreamed up, not after they are accepted. Get rid of he who must not be named.

"Director of PMO"

Former Employee - PMO in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - PMO in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life and Family Balance. The office is empty after 5pm.

Cons

No ability to manage the team as the senior managers do not delegate nor do they allow creativity of the management staff.

Advice to Management

Manage and direct strategy

""Inflexxible""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid slightly better than other companies I've worked for.

Cons

I was ostensibly hired to improve the quality of the company's documentation from an editorial standpoint. During my brief tenure there, I was praised, often lavishly, for my contributions toward that goal -- yet I was fired, with no verbal or written warning, within months, for "not fitting in." I had been warned, pre-hire, by prospective coworkers, of less-than-optimal work conditions especially with regard to noise. I had worked in open-area companies before. However, nothing prepared me for the active culture of raucous noise that I encountered at Inflexxion. Projects requiring intense concentration were expected to be completed, under razor-thin deadlines, in an atmosphere routinely permeated with people shouting to one another and using speakerphones in the open area; long, loud, non-work-related conversations in adjacent cubes were not just tolerated but encouraged. My "reasonable accommodation" requests for a quieter work area and a flexible telecommute day (to allow for matching the quickest-turnaround, most detailed projects with conditions conducive to giving them the focus they deserved) were met with intransigence by management and with open derision by HR -- this at a company whose avowed mission is to help people "achieve a better state of health" and that claims to have "a strong sense of social responsibility."

Advice to Management

Consider the ill effects of your practices on the mental health and morale of your own staff.

"A good place to work, but very frustrating processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

On the whole I feel fairly well treated, it is a fun and very diverse group, and there are some ridiculously smart people there in their areas of speciality.

Cons

Many of those ridiculously smart people can't get out of their own way, and our products often end up suffering for it. I expect the company will have to come to terms with its new role creating market-drive products (rather than grant funded ones), and will either learn to adapt or go under surprisingly quickly. I would hate for that to happen.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR TEAMS. Get development and particularly user experience in at the very ground level of projects, not after a grant proposal has been approved. These people know more about what we actually do than you do. You come up with the big ideas and help guide the content; let the technical teams do their jobs, and listen to them when they make recommendations. Don't keep doing things just because it's the way they've always been done.

"Great company, strong leadership and vision - vital responsibility to improve chronically ill patients' quality of life"

Current Employee - Anonymous - Project Coordinator in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous - Project Coordinator in Newton, MA

Pros

- Work for a great cause (to make sure prescription opioids are used safely and prevent diversion/abuse/overdose; work on innovative programs for patients with chronic diseases, adolescent and college students)
    - Flexible hours (can work at home at times when travel prohibits it, 11 holidays, after 5 years you get 4 weeks vacation, plus 3 personal days and sick days).
    - Great senior management team, top of the line CEO with clear vision and direction for the future, great people to work for
    - Free coffee, milk, cream, snacks, and usually leftover meeting catering food most afternoons
    - Great Benefits (PPO or HMO choice health- deductible paid by company, and dental, auto and home discounts, 401K matching and financial advisor, free yoga-mastered led yoga classes in the mornings at work every week,
    - Wonderful and down-to-earth co-workers, all very competent and very nice people

Cons

- My pay is a little below the average for my position and the reality of the responsibilities I get tasked.
    - The parking lot is full a lot of times and you have to be "innovative" to make a parking spot.

Advice to Management

Attract the best talent and keep the best talent by staying towards the high end of the salary ranges for job title compared to other companies.

10. "Good company, with some management problems"

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work was really engaging and innovative. The team I worked with was fantastic, with lots of experience. I learned a lot during my time at Inflexxion.

Cons

While the company and it's mission is a noble one, management has struggled to define & focus on key areas of opportunity & growth. There was a good amount of resistance to trying new approaches and techniques for certain projects, usually opting for "the way we've always done it."

Advice to Management

You have highly qualified employees that were hired for a reason. Listen to them when they are the SME's in their respective areas.