Inflexxion Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
John Regazzi
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Company changed a lot since 2016"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Inflexxion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ownership charged at begging of 2016, complnay is leading by professional management team instead of researcher.Many new things in.
    Company has bright future and growing.
    Advanced product and technology.
    Great people to work with.
    Nice office.

Cons

Still small company and needs time to grow.
    Sometimes, in some department, very busy.
    Do not have enough people to cover all the possibilities.

2. "Good company, with some management problems"

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work was really engaging and innovative. The team I worked with was fantastic, with lots of experience. I learned a lot during my time at Inflexxion.

Cons

While the company and it's mission is a noble one, management has struggled to define & focus on key areas of opportunity & growth. There was a good amount of resistance to trying new approaches and techniques for certain projects, usually opting for "the way we've always done it."

Advice to Management

You have highly qualified employees that were hired for a reason. Listen to them when they are the SME's in their respective areas.

3. "Great people, in flux"

I worked at Inflexxion full-time

Pros

They have managed to attract very good people in the past, mission is to help people in the behavioral science arena so when projects succeed it feels good

Cons

The direction the company is in flux after being acquired a year and a half ago. Forward movement is unclear.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employee concerns and not dismiss the experience and background knowledge they possess

4. ".net developer"

Current Employee - Senior/Lead Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior/Lead Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I have been working at Inflexxion (More than a year)

Pros

good culture and friendly anyone can ready to help you in any concerns feel free to work

Cons

expected time of deliverly always

Advice to Management

good team work

5. "Project lead"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and nice working environment for everyone in my group. Young people, lots of energy and can be very fun to work within this group. Lots of hard working co-workers who put in extra hours to make things done before deadline.

Cons

Very stressful at times, meetings every morning, lots of meetings in between. Demanding deadlines.

Advice to Management

Give employees more downtime to recharge battery in between projects.

"Employees not compensated for sticking it out"

I worked at Inflexxion full-time

Pros

- Good work-life balance, but not a happy place to work.
    - Talented, smart coworkers

Cons

- Employees who stuck around throughout the companies two sets of layoffs and new management were NOT compensated as promised throughout the process. At company meetings, management praised the employees and let them know that THEY were the reason for the company's recent, if short-lived, success. We received the same exact bonus we had the year the company was struggling. No motivation to "do better"!
    -Company floundering with struggle for a direction
    - New management brought in, but not entirely. Old management continues to drag the company down.
    - Changes are extremely slow to see

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves, "why are people leaving?" Start with that basic question. Do some research on what other companies out there are offering employees. You have excellent, intelligent, generous employees working for you. You will find that you are sorely lacking in many areas that could be able to help bring up morale, engage people, and make them WANT to stay!

"Enormous changes at the last minute"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although it doesn't always translate into good work-life balance for other reasons, most everyone leaves the building at 5 pm.
    They hire some very skilled and talented people.
    The company's health insurance is good.

Cons

Like many small, privately-held companies, Inflexxion exists to provide a forum for its principals to express themselves, and to shield them from the rigors of academic and corporate environments. This has left management increasingly insulated from reality, and prone to killing any messengers who arrive with bad news. During the time I was there, at least a dozen people were hired to revamp various processes and bring them into compliance with professional business and research standards. All faced irrational resistance and significant verbal abuse, and when it turned out that the revamped practices would, necessarily, be required of upper management as well as lower-echelon employees, all support for the new standards was withdrawn. Everyone involved in these initiatives either left, was fired, or was laid off. The company is unclear about its direction and therefore at a loss about how to get there.

Advice to Management

As the other reviewers have said, one option would be for you to actually listen to the experts you hire and let go of micromanaging processes you don't understand. Another possibility is to accept that Inflexxion is a vanity project that isn't intended to become a successful business, create effective products, or conduct honest research. Then you could scale back and stop hiring people for initiatives to which you're not committed.

8. "October 11th review got it right"

Pros

See the previous review, I agree with all of it. The "little people" who work at Inflexxion are great, and will go the extra mile if necessary for a project they believe in.

Cons

I agree with everything the previous reviewer said -- but it's sad that more than one untouchable upper manager fits the description of "he who must not be named." I left because of one of them, and from what I've heard since then, nothing's changed. I was here for 3+ years.

If you're thinking of working here, ask about the history of layoffs first. It's a real morale killer.

Advice to Management

I don't think anything I write here would make a difference. Why listen to me when they haven't listened to all the consultants they've hired?

"Wonderful people, great mission; upper management out of touch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inflexxion is a place with a lot of big ideas, some of which are great. The people who actually get implement those ideas are awesome - some of the best folks I've worked with.

The work environment is generally pretty relaxed... some of the best work-life balance I've ever had.

The projects that are active out there actually do a lot of real good in the world.

Great location, right on the Charles river!

Cons

The salaries are more in line with academic levels than corporate

Endless frustration with the issues around trying to put proper process to grant-based projects - almost every project got stripped down, way behind, or radically off-the-rails at some point or another.

Upper management, at least when I left, was still way out of touch with the working crew, and there is all but ZERO business knowledge at the top. They've tried numerous initiatives to make the transition from a grant-based academic organization to a real product-based company, and every one has fizzled, simply because no one internally has the know-how to make it happen once the consultants leave.

One of the untouchable upper managers is absolutely insufferable to work with - I don't know if anyone actually left because him, but everyone who works with him threatens it at one point or another. He's probably the single biggest cause of waste of the company's resources, but there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it or replace him. This frustrates pretty much everyone.

Advice to Management

I LOVE INFLEXXION AND I WANT IT TO SUCCEED! Learn to accept that you are a web software company and bring in more people who know how to program for the web. Bring in another management/business consultant, and this time listen to them. Hire someone in upper management with actual experience running a product-based company, and listen to THEM. Listen to your UX team and your coders and designers - they are experts in what Inflexxion claims to do, and you hired them because of it. Bring in the people who create the products WHILE the grants are being dreamed up, not after they are accepted. Get rid of he who must not be named.

"Director of PMO"

Former Employee - PMO in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - PMO in Newton, MA

I worked at Inflexxion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life and Family Balance. The office is empty after 5pm.

Cons

No ability to manage the team as the senior managers do not delegate nor do they allow creativity of the management staff.

Advice to Management

Manage and direct strategy