Influence & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2019

4.1
Kelsey Raymond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Start a Marketing Career"

Former Employee - Account Strategist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Account Strategist in Columbia, MO

I worked at Influence & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• By agency life standards, it's very easy to have a life outside of work.
    • Team -- some of the most interesting and kindest people I've met since college were through ICo. Each was interesting too, and the work culture allowed personality to shine through. No "assimilating to the borg" required. By far the biggest factor for me in any job.
    • I found a good mentor among the senior leadership who always took time to listen and give sound advice.
    • Perks like snacks aren't why I wanted the job, but were nice.

Cons

• [More neutral than con] Pay was on par for the Columbia market, and pretty good for those just starting out. Not as great by STL or national standards.
    • While the majority of the senior leaders are great, approachable, and reasonable people, a couple still have some work to do.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for advancement and professional development, but it looks like there's been a lot of progress made since I left. Sustain the awesome mental health policy and the values-driven leadership that recognizes the individual.

2. "One of the Most Positive Experiences of My Career"

I worked at Influence & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*One of Influence & Co.’s biggest selling points is its interesting work — if you’re enthusiastic about creating content, there are few places with more wide-ranging content to develop. You’ll have the opportunity to gain insight into a lot of different perspectives and industries, and if you ask the right questions, you can craft some of the most compelling content online. The company is constantly adding to its product line, meaning there’s always something new to learn or refine. Mastery is possible; boredom is not.

*The company also offers great benefits, flexibility, and freedom. During my time at ICo, the benefits expanded, and efforts were always made to treat people like people. ICo cares about the overall well-being of its employees, not simply their experiences at work. (Yes, this means that in most cases, work-life balance is a real thing.)

*Having experienced many iterations of the “ICo experience,” the one thing that stands out above all is that ICo is what you make it. People who work hard, think of the team, focus on clients, and hone their content chops can create their own career paths at the company. People who are motivated to streamline processes, help others brainstorm, and set high standards are likely to go far; people who do the bare minimum won’t have the same experience. If you’re willing to put in the hard work, you’ll reap the rewards.

*I came to the company with several years’ worth of experience — some people at ICo are very experienced! — and working at ICo set the standard for everything to come. I shifted roles and levels throughout my time there, learned a lot about myself and other people, and developed great relationships with very talented individuals. I had both great conversations and hard ones while I was there, and I grew from both. I felt like I was truly making an impact on the company through my work, and I’d work there again in a heartbeat. I highly recommend the company to others.

Cons

*If you’re looking for a stereotypical cutthroat marketing agency environment, you will be sorely disappointed. ICo’s environment is a plus, but if you’re looking at this as a stepping stone to an “edgier” role elsewhere, you won’t see much similarity or feel prepared for a more competitive setup.

*Processes to develop new products or services have occasionally been messy, but these have improved.

*Pay is great for entry-level employees or those with just a couple years’ experience; pay is good for the industry for more experienced individuals but has some room to grow.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for constant improvement, and don't abandon your core values. This is what sets you apart and makes the company a truly great place to work.

"Short-term play"

I worked at Influence & Co. full-time

Pros

There’s only one reason to work here: if you want to break in to the industry and have zero experience. If that’s the case, it’s a great job.

-Work is simple and stress-free. Roles are segmented to the point that you’ll be able to go on autopilot everyday if you’re remotely intelligent. I could get my work done easily working from 10:30-3 everyday.

-Office space is tranquil and comfortable, and the building has great amenities.

-Clients, for the most part, are intelligent, successful, and will teach you a lot about entrepreneurship just through the nature of the work.

-You’ll get to share memes on Slack for hours on-end everyday.

Cons

-They care more about feelings than anything else. More than professional development, personal growth, or profit. Some people might enjoy this, but for someone who wants to grind everyday, learn about digital marketing, make money, and become a well-rounded marketer in general, it’s very unfulfilling.

-Segmentation of roles is ridiculous. They could afford to pay people more than 35K if they didn’t have four people doing a job one person could do. It also stunts people’s growth because they just do the same job every single day over and over and over and never learn anything.

-They pay next to nothing and they try to lure people in with unlimited PTO, a sub-sophomoric retreat once a year, and remote work instead of offering what high-performers will actually want when they join the company: money.

-No grasp of product development. They have added a paid third-party mention and an SEO offering over the years, but outside of that, they’re basically offering the same service they created 8 years ago. In the digital world, that’s 100 years ago. This is due to the fact that “leadership” is almost 100% young people who have no experience outside of the company and have never seen how to actually grow a business and remain relevant. What Influence & Co. offers can be done by anyone who knows how to write and create relationships. This is the main thing that will kill the company. The only two experienced, seasoned leaders they had on staff - one of them being the co-founder, John - left the company while I was there. Everyone’s inexperience was underlined for me when no one seemed to realize what kind of negativity that signified.

-No professional development. Your managers will be too afraid of upsetting you to ever have hard conversations or really dig in to you to improve your work.

- They think they have a very diverse, inclusive, and accepting culture, but if your political affiliation isn’t all the way to the to the left, you’ll be ostracized. They legitimately had a Slack channel for politics in a professional setting.

Advice to Management

Read the writing on the wall and get out before the company goes belly-up.

Influence & Co. Response

Feb 13, 2019 – President

We always appreciate receiving feedback about our organization and are continually working to improve Influence & Co. This review provides some interesting food for thought, but also mentions some... More

4. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Influence & Co. full-time

Pros

Good culture
    Great people
    Opportunity for growth in the industry

Cons

There are always changes in the industry

5. "Associate Researcher"

I have been working at Influence & Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! I love the company culture and everyone is so talented.

Cons

More opportunities for part timers

"Don't Be Deceived"

I worked at Influence & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office spaces are really cool - with a lot of free snacks.
    Macbook Air computer to use
    Some nice people to work with

Cons

Don't be deceived by their benefits offering and culture. While they claim to be an autonomous work environment, you're expected to log every single minute of your time. If you don't have a certain amount of hours, the "managers" will get onto you. Not only do you have to track your time, there are others who will spy on what you're doing in the office and then report it to other members of leadership within the office.

They claim to have an unlimited vacation policy, but really, if you want to take more than 10 or so days in a year, you have to put in a request to management. They also claim to have a flexible work location - i.e. work from home. However, that has been extremely restricted and you're only allowed one day per week.

There is no real path for advancement, unless you're one of the "chosen few". They implemented a "Senior" role pathway - with extremely difficult requirements and no clear role expectations or salary increases.

The managers are extremely inexperienced and play favorites with certain employees. If you're not in the "in crowd", you are subject to intense scrutiny and quite frankly, judged by management.

The work is repetitive and they have very few ways of showing true value and ROI for their clients. Depending on your role, you're stuck doing the same exact thing over and over.

The pay is extremely low - they would rather spend money on holiday parties and other random gatherings instead of paying people more. They tout their great benefits as a reason for lower pay - see above for the "great benefits".

Advice to Management

Provide real, tangible pathways to career advancement - don't just repeat the same idea after people have expressed issues with it

Pay people more

Hire more experienced managers and stop cliques from forming

Be true to the autonomous work environment that you claim to have

"Amazing ideas, Poor Execution"

I worked at Influence & Co. full-time

Pros

Modern benefits like a mental health policy, great communication tools, and good internal software.

Free snacks, some healthy.

Open door policy for communication, not a lot of ego anywhere in the company.

Really amazing founders.

Pay is on par if you negotiate.

Cons

Health insurance took 90 days to obtain after hiring date back when I joined, which is not the norm these days. No 401k matching, which they blame on the seed funder but could easily make happen.

Deceptive 'Work from anywhere' policy. You usually need to be in the office daily because of the way meetings/work is structured.

Not a lot of management, some just wanted to be your friend instead of lead.

Career growth potential is extremely challenging and very one-way.

Advice to Management

Offer more growth to loyal employees and stop playing favorites. As mentioned in other reviews, some managers have no other experience but ICO. This is not a good thing...

Maintain your overall culture. It's the organizaton's best asset.

"Great people to work with, need some more consistency from leadership"

I worked at Influence & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were 100% the best part--it's an incredible team, the diversity of content and industries, and the flexibility

Cons

The pay, some management decisions, favoritism for certain roles, and the inconsistency with raises/benefit usage

Advice to Management

More consistency in management decisions, especially with when and how raises are given and with how new client offerings are going to work, and a better plan for long-term careers at the company

"Deceptively Positive"

Current Employee - Editor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Editor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Influence & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home options
    Positive workplace culture

Cons

Young, inexperienced management
    No career growth opportunities
    High turnover
    Former work-life balance benefits have been revoked

Advice to Management

Hire a manager who has leadership experience outside the company.

10. "Account Management"

I have been working at Influence & Co. full-time

Pros

Great people, creative environment, flexible environment

Cons

Fast paced and small growing pains