Info-Tech Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Joel McLean

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working hard is certainly part of the culture and, at times, can cause difficulty with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• This leads to a lot of changes in upper management (in 8 reviews)

"Decent experience"

Former Employee - Consulting Analyst
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great coworkers; motivated, intelligent people to work with
    -You get to work on a lot of different projects and get exposed to many different problem areas

Cons

-The company is not really innovative at the end of the day. Most research is recycled and not much is done to really push the boundaries of best practices.

Advice to Management

-INNOVATE! The company's marketing machine is excellent, but the actual innovation side lags behind.

"If it's "fast-paced," it's because there's no vision"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

A lot of the positive reviews say it is "fast paced" and that's hard to handle. I've worked at lots of fast-paced paces. This place isn't fast-paced. It just changes a lot depending on the whim of the owner.

Most of the promotions etc are due to nepotism, not merit. There are a lot of "yes men" and people who don't ask questions or push back even against the owner's ideas. There are smart people with good ideas but who basically get their spirit crushed if it doesn't fit in with whatever the "leadership" happens to be thinking that week. Senior leadership is spineless when it comes to pushing back against him. And if they don't like you or if you cross them or make them look bad you'll be gone. Even if you were right.

Then the good ideas don't get brought forward out of fear of the owner's temper. It's his way or the high way. He won't even listen to people who have actual expertise if it contradicts his ideas.

Most of the "innovation" that happens is just variations on the same theme. The so-called innovation team is a bunch of kids who happen to get along with the founder and they're coached to be bullies because their status on taht team means they are special.

Work/life balance is terrible. You're expected to put in extra hours or stay late at a moment's notice because somebody in management all of a sudden freaked out about something (usually because they weren't paying attention or messed up themselves). It's expected that you put your family second if you work here.

Advice to Management

Get the owner out of the way

"Look Shiny Balls!"

Pros

Fun, parties all the time, fun day, barney's trips

Cons

Terrible pay, micro management, unclear direction, long hours, guilt trips, emotional decision making. Worked here for years and the company was fun just coming out of college, but then you grow up (unlike most of the management) and realize that getting perks like booze and trips to Barneys doesn't pay the bills. The CEO hires former employees from the competition and listens to every word they say like make people work from 8am-7pm without paying over time with garbage salaries. They think that hiring Ivey grads is the best direction and often pay them more than the folks that have been there for years. Ivey grads are smart enough to know that this is a sweat shop and the product is a nice to have, not something companies need. They don't even follow their own research so why should anyone else.

Advice to Management

Pay people better, don't expect them to stay when you throttle back sales reps commissions . Stop making decisions and over promising during social events then not deliver when the party is over on Monday. Start treating people like employees and stop calling them dogs.

"The potential to be great"

Current Employee - IT in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - IT in Ontario, CA

Pros

Great business model, wonderful people. Type of company where one person can have an impact and where one person can see the results of their efforts.

Cons

Long Hours, Poor Pay. Inconsistent Management Team, which means some managers are very weak and some are quite strong, but it is always the strong managers who end up shouldering the burden.
    Executive Team is quite inexperienced.

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to work on the experience and skills they bring to the table and be willing to listen to and accept feedback.

"A Great Place to Work with TONS of Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Info-Tech is an amazing place to work. The opportunity is endless within the organization for those that put in the time and effort! They reward those who work hard. I've seen many employees who may not excel at the job that the enter into Info-Tech with, but that have proved themselves to be assets by trying and by working towards improvement as best they can, and as a result, management has moved them around to find a better career fit. It is definitely the preferred method. I have had the opportunity to move around the organization myself and have benefited from the widespread knowledge that I have been able to acquire as a result of it. My opinions and feedback are asked for constantly and have also been implemented. If you do well, you can go anywhere in this organization.

The culture of Info-Tech truly creates a welcoming environment. People are friendly and always willing to help new hires get up to speed. I've met some very good friends throughout the years at work here, people who are highly intelligent, inspiring, and fun. A testament to the type of people they hire. I've also had the benefit of many mentors over the years. People who have helped me to grow, improve my skillsets and that invest time into others development (including the owner). People that work here care. They want to make it a great place to work.

The products/services that we provide are the best in the industry. I truly believe this. We continue to innovate and evolve our offering year after year.
    We invest in our members and care that they receive value from their investments. The innovative mindset towards our offering means that you are always learning something new.

There are many perks to working at ITRG. Great benefits, flexibility, Christmas parties, family gatherings, tenure milestones, organization-wide celebrations of success, rewards for high performing employees, recognition, incentives, etc.

I can honestly say that there hasn't been a day that has gone by that I haven't learned something new. Its a GREAT place to work.

Cons

It really depends how you look at this con. One of the only constants at Info-Tech is change. So if you're not flexible, willing to constantly learn and be challenged, or have a positive attitude, you probably won't like it at ITRG.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in HiPo employees within the organization, we have a lot of talent at our fingertips! I am proud to work at Info-Tech and I feel grateful for all the opportunity that I've been given!

"We don't do anything"

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can know nothing and do nothing and make up to $175k a year which is pretty fantastic to think about.

Cons

You won't learn anything and after all is said and done will feel like you cheated your clients and yourself.

Advice to Management

Go back to conducting studies, interviewing people, and making power point decks, at least that was something.

"Good employees heading out"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

-Great events organized by the Ministry of Fun.
    -The pros are mostly superficial ones, which cloud your opinion of the company for a short time. Gym on-site, ping-pong table, free fruit, etc...
    -The employees are great. Everyone wants to work hard.
    -Great location. Close to the subway.
    -Benefits package is good
    -Vacation is decent and the office closes for a week during the holidays
    -HR department is kind and intelligent.

Cons

-Low salaries.
    -Management tracks how often you leave your work station, resulting in a total avoidance of any of the pros mentioned above, in order to keep the peace.
    -Good, talented employees are leaving because of the treatment from management, not because they dislike their jobs.
    -No room for advancement if you aren't in sales

Advice to Management

Managers and VP's need sensitivity training. Even the ones who think they don't. You'll continue losing good employees otherwise. CEO needs to be made aware of the issues brought to HR so something can be done about them.

"In hindsight"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

There are people in the company who generally care, the company is mostly stable, and the culture isn't too bad if you lean toward extrovert.

Cons

I was in the IT department, and while there I was surrounded by a bunch of genuinely great people. It was like a culture unto itself, separate from the rest of the company.

And yet I always got the sense that the executive of the company couldn't be trusted to treat us in good faith. Mostly, developer salaries were minimised, and the programming team relied heavily on interns to do grunt work at a low cost.

In retrospect, I drank the kool-aid at the time, thinking that I was experiencing a genuinely positive culture. And yet now, with a few more companies under my belt, I recognise that the sense of 'family' that the company tries to promote is more a facade to build loyalty in lieu of real, hard benefits like competitive salaries.

Luckily, I was one of the more skilled developers who had the means to move onward and upwards. And as I did and experienced more robust cultures, I was able to see the reality of Info-Tech.

This might sound bad at face, but you have to recognise that pretty much all companies are trash fires to some respect. You can jump ship to another and still find the same problems elsewhere, just human nature.

And yet a part of me still loved my time there, wouldn't mind going back some day. Since they're becoming a major player in London (and more recently Toronto) I can only hope that over the years they become a more socially responsible company with effective leadership, and a competitive benefits package

"Good place to start"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

- Really good place to start your career
    - Company culture is great, there are always fun activities happening
    - Room to move around the company in a department that fits you

Cons

- Work is tough
    - Very unorganized

"Slackers need not apply"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great company with lots of room for growth.
    -Challenging work that constantly tests your abilities and forces you out of your comfort zone.
    -Hard workers get rewarded
    -Managers really care about their people's happiness and development, (unlike what other reviews say)
    -Great approachable owner
    -great team spirit on good days
    -You get out what you put in.
    -Fast paced agile environment (can be a con for people who don't like change)
    -Very smart coworkers
    -decent perks

Cons

-Understaffed.
    -Sometimes can get very stressful.
    -Steep learning curve
    -Older employees are jaded and constantly bring up old history. They need to move on or move out
    -Some unmotivated, uneducated employees have egos, full of gossip, and take things too personally. Their laziness ruins it for the group.
    -Work for an owner and not a company. He means well, but the consequences of decisions aren't fully thought out
    -too many complainers and not enough problem solvers
    -favoritism exists
    -goals can be unrealistic
    -weak benefits
    -salary is average

Advice to Management

Things are really feeling better with most of the sour people gone. The new leadership is doing good things and really trying hard to right the past wrongs.

-throw out all the lazy unmotivated people
    -Avoid micromanagement at all costs
    -Take care of the people who care about the success of the company. You need them when the going gets tough
    -Keep the middle managers happy. (they're the only ones keeping your organization together, if they leave you'll be crippled)
    -listen to the smart people who have ideas.