Info-Tech Research Group Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

3.2
Info-Tech Research Group Founder Joel McLean (no image)
Joel McLean
Pros
  • "Great people and great company culture(in 15 reviews)

• "The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "old boys club - most upper management have been with the company since day 1(in 10 reviews)

• "This kills your work life balance(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Working as a business analyst.

Jan 5, 2021 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good environment to work.

Cons

Nothing specific to say as cons

2. 4.0

Great place to grow!

Feb 21, 2021 - Research Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun place to work with a lot of room for growth.

Cons

Direction from the top can be inconsistent sometimes.

3. 3.0

Good Start

Mar 15, 2021 - Development Engineer in Warwick, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Involved, communication, good opportunities, great work environment

Cons

Niche work, pay check is monthly

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, however I fear you may have the wrong company. We do not hire Development Engineers and your location is not recognisable as a work location for our employees. In addition, we pay all our employees on a bi-weekly schedule, not monthly.

4. 2.0

Great interviewing process

Jul 3, 2020 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having had several interviews for various different positions, I would say the interviewing process is, for the most part, great. The interviewers I've had were all very friendly and have an excellent process to ensure you will be the right fit for the job.

Cons

Not all interviewers are the same and some are less inclined to challenge you, and come off as "judgy" to certain personal attributes. This is only the minority, though.

Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. As the Director, Talent I am very happy to hear that your interview experience was a positive one.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, Great People

Apr 12, 2019 - Vice President Customer Success
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid research, practical approach, good analysts, strong value proposition, great book of business, wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Unique management style takes time to assimilate

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we are so happy to hear you had a positive experience working with InfoTech. Thank you also for your advice and I am happy to say, that we now have an established Strategy team who are responsible for the support and development of business processes across the organisation, and who are already impacting positive change.

6. 1.0

Research

Apr 28, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work locations in Canada and USA

Cons

Research process very suspect No trust across mgment teams (all) Lack of respect for employees CEO lacks trust and leadership High Turnover of employees/customers

5 people found this review helpful

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and your advice to Management. With a 155% headcount growth in the last 12 months, we anticipate that our culture will evolve and we are working closely with stakeholders to ensure it is positive and that it remains close to our core values and ethics as an organisation.

7. 3.0

Review

Jul 8, 2019 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice work environment for employees

Cons

Nothing comes to my mind.

1 person found this review helpful

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we are so happy you had a positive experience.

8. 2.0

Info-tech Research Group culture

Oct 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool office environment, smart people who work hard, offices in London, Toronto and Las Vegas, its growing. Great opportunity for someone to learn and start a career. Great stepping stone.

Cons

Toxic environment of over worked and underpaid staff, leadership is reactive not proactive, old school thinking and need to change that mentality or they will continue to loose very smart people who are integral to their teams success.

5 people found this review helpful

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry you did not have a positive experience in your short tenure with us, and hope you have been able to secure something more aligned with your needs. We are indeed growing and now have an office in Australia; we continue to provide fantastic learning and development opportunities and work hard to ensure that we are rewarding and recognising top performers with both monetary and non monetary rewards.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

If it's "fast-paced," it's because there's no vision

Sep 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

A lot of the positive reviews say it is "fast paced" and that's hard to handle. I've worked at lots of fast-paced paces. This place isn't fast-paced. It just changes a lot depending on the whim of the owner. Most of the promotions etc are due to nepotism, not merit. There are a lot of "yes men" and people who don't ask questions or push back even against the owner's ideas. There are smart people with good ideas but who basically get their spirit crushed if it doesn't fit in with whatever the "leadership" happens to be thinking that week. Senior leadership is spineless when it comes to pushing back against him. And if they don't like you or if you cross them or make them look bad you'll be gone. Even if you were right. Then the good ideas don't get brought forward out of fear of the owner's temper. It's his way or the high way. He won't even listen to people who have actual expertise if it contradicts his ideas. Most of the "innovation" that happens is just variations on the same theme. The so-called innovation team is a bunch of kids who happen to get along with the founder and they're coached to be bullies because their status on taht team means they are special. Work/life balance is terrible. You're expected to put in extra hours or stay late at a moment's notice because somebody in management all of a sudden freaked out about something (usually because they weren't paying attention or messed up themselves). It's expected that you put your family second if you work here.

14 people found this review helpful

Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we appreciate you taking the time and are sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I noticed you worked for us for less than a year and so wanted to be clear; as a business we look for a minimum of 12 months service from any employee before considering promotions or salary increases, this is pretty standard for most businesses. We allow some flexibility for case by case situations but try to stick with the standard as much as possible. I myself have worked at Info-Tech for over 6 years, I do not class myself as a yes man and I have no personal ties to the leadership team but I have been promoted a total of 5 times during my tenure. I have the benefit of working directly with our CEO and Owner and find him to be passionate, engaged, fair and open to discussion and ideas from all levels, creating space for all employees to email/call him. I believe what is not seen, is the sheer volume of ideas and suggestions he gets, and due to that its almost impossible to listen and act on everyone of them. Thats where he must rely on the communication of his executive team. We do set high expectations, we do have high standards and we do pivot our offerings, processes and products frequently to meet the needs of our members; however all this feeds into the way in which we compete with the market and set ourselves apart from our competition. It is this relentless focus on service and product quality, that has lead us to consistent year over year growth and is now allowing us to keep all our employees in jobs, during a global pandemic. It is also why sometimes, last minute needs call for all hands on deck, however we work hard to recognise those people through programs like X factor (peer to peer recognition) and why we provide additional time off incentives to ensure folks do have a work life balance. Family is very important and we would never ask an employee to choose work over them, and I am so sorry if you had a personal experience that was in opposition to this. As an HR team we work hard to ensure our Management training covers topic like "managing time off" to ensure folks are using their vacation and NL and provide a plethora of additional 'free' time off throughout the year to encourage family time e.g. Summer Hours (every Friday in August we close the office at 2pm) and soft close at the end of the year (equates to 3 additional free days off). Where needed staff are able to bring children into the office when required (e.g. school closures) and finally we ask out employees regularly to provide input on how else we can assist in creating work/life balance.

10. 2.0

Look Shiny Balls!

Apr 7, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, parties all the time, fun day, barney's trips

Cons

Terrible pay, micro management, unclear direction, long hours, guilt trips, emotional decision making. Worked here for years and the company was fun just coming out of college, but then you grow up (unlike most of the management) and realize that getting perks like booze and trips to Barneys doesn't pay the bills. The CEO hires former employees from the competition and listens to every word they say like make people work from 8am-7pm without paying over time with garbage salaries. They think that hiring Ivey grads is the best direction and often pay them more than the folks that have been there for years. Ivey grads are smart enough to know that this is a sweat shop and the product is a nice to have, not something companies need. They don't even follow their own research so why should anyone else.

17 people found this review helpful

Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. I am sorry the many years you worked at Infotech were so negative. I also believe that many of the issues you list in your review, are items that we have worked on to improve. Including; Pay: we have moved the needle significantly in areas like IT, Research and Sales increasing top end salary bands in all areas and creating added variable compensation to a number of roles. We cannot address all areas at once as that would not make business sense, but will continue to listen to feedback and review compensation on a regular basis. Hiring Grads: we are proud of the long standing relationships we have with a number of prestigious Universities and Educational institutions across Ontario; we are big believers in developing raw talent and helping to develop the next generation of business leaders and do not see this as a bad thing. That said, we recognised a number of years ago that we also needed to build up our skilled and experienced workforce and have not run the graduate program in full for over 3 years. Instead we have focused on hiring skilled folks across Sales and Research. Finally, we absolutely do not view or call any of our staff dogs and I would welcome an offline discussion with you, to understand when this was said and by whom so that I can provide specific feedback to them, that is is unacceptable behaviour. Feel free to email me directly at lnorman@infotech.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 231 Reviews