Info-Tech Research Group Reviews

Updated May 11, 2020

3.6
Info-Tech Research Group Founder Joel McLean (no image)
Joel McLean
Pros
  • "Great people and great company culture(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Great Company, Great People"

Former Employee - Vice President Customer Success

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid research, practical approach, good analysts, strong value proposition, great book of business, wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Unique management style takes time to assimilate

Info-Tech Research Group2019-04-13

October 4, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we are so happy to hear you had a positive experience working with InfoTech. Thank you also for your advice and I am happy to say, that we now have an established Strategy team who are responsible for the support and development of business processes across the organisation, and who are already impacting positive change.

"Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice work environment for employees

Cons

Nothing comes to my mind.

Info-Tech Research Group2019-07-08

October 4, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we are so happy you had a positive experience.

"Research"

1.0

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group

Pros

Flexible work locations in Canada and USA

Cons

Research process very suspect No trust across mgment teams (all) Lack of respect for employees CEO lacks trust and leadership High Turnover of employees/customers

Info-Tech Research Group2019-04-29

October 4, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and your advice to Management. With a 155% headcount growth in the last 12 months, we anticipate that our culture will evolve and we are working closely with stakeholders to ensure it is positive and that it remains close to our core values and ethics as an organisation.

"Info-tech Research Group culture"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Cool office environment, smart people who work hard, offices in London, Toronto and Las Vegas, its growing. Great opportunity for someone to learn and start a career. Great stepping stone.

Cons

Toxic environment of over worked and underpaid staff, leadership is reactive not proactive, old school thinking and need to change that mentality or they will continue to loose very smart people who are integral to their teams success.

Info-Tech Research Group2018-10-15

October 4, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are sorry you did not have a positive experience in your short tenure with us, and hope you have been able to secure something more aligned with your needs. We are indeed growing and now have an office in Australia; we continue to provide fantastic learning and development opportunities and work hard to ensure that we are rewarding and recognising top performers with both monetary and non monetary rewards.

"If it's "fast-paced," it's because there's no vision"

1.0

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

A lot of the positive reviews say it is "fast paced" and that's hard to handle. I've worked at lots of fast-paced paces. This place isn't fast-paced. It just changes a lot depending on the whim of the owner. Most of the promotions etc are due to nepotism, not merit. There are a lot of "yes men" and people who don't ask questions or push back even against the owner's ideas. There are smart people with good ideas but who basically get their spirit crushed if it doesn't fit in with whatever the "leadership" happens to be thinking that week. Senior leadership is spineless when it comes to pushing back against him. And if they don't like you or if you cross them or make them look bad you'll be gone. Even if you were right. Then the good ideas don't get brought forward out of fear of the owner's temper. It's his way or the high way. He won't even listen to people who have actual expertise if it contradicts his ideas. Most of the "innovation" that happens is just variations on the same theme. The so-called innovation team is a bunch of kids who happen to get along with the founder and they're coached to be bullies because their status on taht team means they are special. Work/life balance is terrible. You're expected to put in extra hours or stay late at a moment's notice because somebody in management all of a sudden freaked out about something (usually because they weren't paying attention or messed up themselves). It's expected that you put your family second if you work here.

Info-Tech Research Group2017-09-26

May 14, 2020Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we appreciate you taking the time and are sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I noticed you worked for us for less than a year and so wanted to be clear; as a business we look for a minimum of 12 months service from any employee before considering promotions or salary increases, this is pretty standard for most businesses. We allow some flexibility for case by case situations but try to stick with the standard as much as possible. I myself have worked at Info-Tech for over 6 years, I do not class myself as a yes man and I have no personal ties to the leadership team but I have been promoted a total of 5 times during my tenure. I have the benefit of working directly with our CEO and Owner and find him to be passionate, engaged, fair and open to discussion and ideas from all levels, creating space for all employees to email/call him. I believe what is not seen, is the sheer volume of ideas and suggestions he gets, and due to that its almost impossible to listen and act on everyone of them. Thats where he must rely on the communication of his executive team. We do set high expectations, we do have high standards and we do pivot our offerings, processes and products frequently to meet the needs of our members; however all this feeds into the way in which we compete with the market and set ourselves apart from our competition. It is this relentless focus on service and product quality, that has lead us to consistent year over year growth and is now allowing us to keep all our employees in jobs, during a global pandemic. It is also why sometimes, last minute needs call for all hands on deck, however we work hard to recognise those people through programs like X factor (peer to peer recognition) and why we provide additional time off incentives to ensure folks do have a work life balance. Family is very important and we would never ask an employee to choose work over them, and I am so sorry if you had a personal experience that was in opposition to this. As an HR team we work hard to ensure our Management training covers topic like "managing time off" to ensure folks are using their vacation and NL and provide a plethora of additional 'free' time off throughout the year to encourage family time e.g. Summer Hours (every Friday in August we close the office at 2pm) and soft close at the end of the year (equates to 3 additional free days off). Where needed staff are able to bring children into the office when required (e.g. school closures) and finally we ask out employees regularly to provide input on how else we can assist in creating work/life balance.

"Decent experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great coworkers; motivated, intelligent people to work with -You get to work on a lot of different projects and get exposed to many different problem areas

Cons

-The company is not really innovative at the end of the day. Most research is recycled and not much is done to really push the boundaries of best practices.

Info-Tech Research Group2017-06-07

November 8, 2019Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and advice to Management, your points have been passed along to the Innovation team.

"Look Shiny Balls!"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group

Pros

Fun, parties all the time, fun day, barney's trips

Cons

Terrible pay, micro management, unclear direction, long hours, guilt trips, emotional decision making. Worked here for years and the company was fun just coming out of college, but then you grow up (unlike most of the management) and realize that getting perks like booze and trips to Barneys doesn't pay the bills. The CEO hires former employees from the competition and listens to every word they say like make people work from 8am-7pm without paying over time with garbage salaries. They think that hiring Ivey grads is the best direction and often pay them more than the folks that have been there for years. Ivey grads are smart enough to know that this is a sweat shop and the product is a nice to have, not something companies need. They don't even follow their own research so why should anyone else.

Info-Tech Research Group2015-04-07

May 14, 2020Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. I am sorry the many years you worked at Infotech were so negative. I also believe that many of the issues you list in your review, are items that we have worked on to improve. Including; Pay: we have moved the needle significantly in areas like IT, Research and Sales increasing top end salary bands in all areas and creating added variable compensation to a number of roles. We cannot address all areas at once as that would not make business sense, but will continue to listen to feedback and review compensation on a regular basis. Hiring Grads: we are proud of the long standing relationships we have with a number of prestigious Universities and Educational institutions across Ontario; we are big believers in developing raw talent and helping to develop the next generation of business leaders and do not see this as a bad thing. That said, we recognised a number of years ago that we also needed to build up our skilled and experienced workforce and have not run the graduate program in full for over 3 years. Instead we have focused on hiring skilled folks across Sales and Research. Finally, we absolutely do not view or call any of our staff dogs and I would welcome an offline discussion with you, to understand when this was said and by whom so that I can provide specific feedback to them, that is is unacceptable behaviour. Feel free to email me directly at lnorman@infotech.com.

8. "Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Director in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

The culture is amazing and rewarding when you work hard. Everyone truly shares in one another's success while enjoying the work we do. If you are passionate and okay with going the extra mile it is an enjoyable working experience.

Cons

Often times (weekly) direction changes on what is the newest priority. Once you learn to live with that and be adaptable you can truly succeed. If you are okay doing the bare minimum you will not fit in well.

Info-Tech Research Group2020-05-11

May 14, 2020Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write a review your feedback will be passed onto the relevant contacts. We recognize that we are fast paced and that changes do happen quickly and often; we are always trying to balance the need to be innovative and to be a disruptor in the space with providing realistic goals and will continue to do so. That said, we will continue to set high expectations and standards for our employees, so that we can continue to build towards being the largest research firm in the world.

"Challenging & Rewarding"

Current Employee - Chief Information Officer in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are amazing. Many magnificent minds and seldom a selfish soul. I cannot stress this enough; this is the greatest bunch of people I have ever worked with. The culture is second to none. Our offices are incredible and we have an immeasurable amount of fun. (Summer hours, company-wide FunDay, soft close during the holiday break, and parties for individuals, and families, that are epic.) There are limitless possibilities for professional development. If you're interested in doing it or learning about it, we'll train you and give you a shot at it.

Cons

We move quickly and don't suffer a fool. There's no hiding. We have a goal and expect everyone to be doing everything in their power to help us achieve it. If you're in, you're in. If you're not, you won't enjoy yourself, or last.

Info-Tech Research Group2020-05-07

May 14, 2020Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, we are so happy that you find the business both challenging and rewarding.

"Huge workload, low pay, terrible management"

Former Employee - Research Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some friendly coworkers Mostly nice clients/members Some travel to places you might actually want to visit Good experience for finding work somewhere else

Cons

Terrible management - feedback given is unconstructive and non-actionable. No support when dealing with terrible management since no real HR department even though sister company is HR consulting. (The entire HR team quit within a year and they never bothered replacing the head of HR). Unreasonable workload - constantly adding responsibilities without increase in pay or taking away any work. No understanding of personal life and focus solely on how they can push the most work out of you. Complete lack of transparency - everything is weighted and measured and judged but criteria is constantly changing and when there are issues, people involved don't discuss it directly with you, instead have to hear it second or third hand from management who won't tell you exactly what the complaint is or turn it into a constructive conversation. Low pay, Low benefits - pay is a lot lower than other consulting firms and yet they constantly brag about how profitable they are. Benefits are basic with no RRSP matching. Random performance review process that forces percentage of employees to be rated unacceptable. White Boys club - enough said.

Info-Tech Research Group2020-04-16

May 14, 2020Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, I would like to take a few moments to respond and clarify a few of your comments. HR Team: I have been with the business for over 6 years and have worked in the HR team that whole time; we started with a small team of 3 and have over the last 6 years steadily grown that function to its current size of 9. I am not sure what period you are referring to when you say 'the entire team quit and they did not replace the VP' as we have a VP, HR and Strategy and then 3 Directors who manage all the day to day. We have seen staffing fluctuations in Talent Acquisition but this is to be expected as the hiring needs of the business go up and down, so do the resource needs. Workloads: We recognise that we set high expectations and have high/exacting standards to meet. We also know that we do pivot our offerings, processes and products frequently to meet the needs of our members and that can all lead to some high work volumes for folks. That said, this approach all this feeds into the way in which we compete with the market and set ourselves apart from our competition. It is this relentless focus on service and product quality, that has lead us to consistent year over year growth and is now allowing us to keep all our employees in jobs, during a global pandemic. It is also why sometimes, last minute needs call for all hands on deck, however we work hard to recognise those people through programs like X factor (peer to peer recognition) and why we provide additional time off incentives to ensure folks do have a work life balance. Transparency will always be a balancing act; making sure we share enough but not too much too early and before ideas are thought through. We will continue to work with the business leaders, to ensure this is balanced and realistic and appreciate your input and comments. Pay: we have moved the needle significantly in areas like IT, Research and Sales increasing top end salary bands in all areas and creating added variable compensation to a number of roles. We cannot address all areas at once as that would not make business sense, but will continue to listen to feedback and review compensation on a regular basis.

Found 180 reviews