Informa Reviews | Glassdoor

Informa Group CEO Stephen A. Carter
Stephen A. Carter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Complete lack of transparency across the company with communication from senior management at times shocking (in 18 reviews)

• Managment are clueless, no room for career progression or budget for training within technology teams (in 15 reviews)

"Informa in Massachusetts is hopefully not representative as a whole."

Former Employee - Manager in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Worcester, MA

Pros

In this economy, it's a job. Luckily one I left behind me.

Cons

Rigid hours, uneducated Human Resources, inflexible working conditions, Director-level management openly played favorites. No programs were in place to foster inter-departmental interaction. Lots of layoffs. Some borderline illegal employee practices - i.e. giving one employee flexibility, when employees of equal standing are not given the same benefit or laying off employees with legitimate worker's comp claims. It was a dismal place to work - at least in my group.

Advice to Management

Employees need better resources, flexibility. When I was there, we had a poorly managed intranet, little information was shared with the staff including in-office Sr. Managers. The work schedule and inflexibility was terrible. I was in a meeting and another employee commented that "This used to be a good place to work"...unfortunately he was right and I hadn't worked there when it was considered good.

2. "Sales at Informa"

Current Employee - Sales in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Westborough, MA

Pros

Broad range of companies, and excellent pay structure. They are in all the right industries and have presence around the world.

Cons

There is no contact with upper management about the strength of the business. There is no opportunity for growth within the organization.

Advice to Management

I think management should spend more time in the division meeting with employees, particularly with those that are on the front lines with customers. I never learn about what other divisions are doing or what opportunities there might be for me there.

"Stay away from this nasty little shady company"

Current Employee - A Few in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - A Few in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Informa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't really have anything nice to say about this place--sorry

Cons

Although this company's rev is under $50 million it is plauged by Incompetent leadership with 2 (that's right 2) managing director and several stale SVPs that have been in their jobs way too long to be effective. Extremely out of tune with the market

Advice to Management

Clean house --lots of dead wait at the top level

"A waste of 9 months of my life"

Former Employee - Performance Analyst in West Harrison, NY
    Former Employee - Performance Analyst in West Harrison, NY

I worked at Informa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strict 9:00 to 5:30 hours. Chris Fuller is a great, enthusiastic gentleman to work with. Free lunch once per month!

Cons

Poor Management - I had two managers. One was good to work with, the other was awful. The obvious choice by this company was to promote the crappy guy because he was in with upper management.

Terrible Pay - I have heard that the starting pay is around $30,000 per year for an entry level job. This is barely enough to live.

Lazy employees - My manager seemed to be very interested in what was going on with his iPhone. Other that that he focused hard on his golf game and ignoring has managerial responsibilities.

No promotion potential - Because of the small size of the company and the connections that the current managers have made there is no hope that you will ever be promoted

Boring work - I joined because I was told about several projects I would be involved in. All of these projects were immediately cancelled or delayed upon my arrival. The workload is reconciling custodian data to statement data. I have had more fun getting an endoscopy.

Vague bonus structure - Ask them about their bonus structure if you work there. You will never get an answer as to how it is calculated. They will also lie to you in the interview process about how much it will be. They claimed 1800-2000 per quarter. The most I got was 700 dollars gross.

Did not honor my resignation date - When I knew I was leaving I gave them a little bit more than 2 weeks of notice because I knew they would be in a jam. Instead, they told me to leave early and did not pay out my final bonus. Hilariously, I received e-mails at my new job for help!

All in all, this company is a joke. If you work for them, leave...it is a trap. If you are interviewing with them, they are lying to you. If you have them as a vendor, fire them.

Advice to Management

Clean house. The management is stale.

"Smart people need not apply"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Informa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a good amount of job security which as a sales person is a nice thing. Also good benefits and a nice office in midtown.

Cons

Way too much of a hierarchy which causes management to be totally out of touch with what is going on. Also because the company is essentially many smaller companies bound together through Informa's acquisition heavy strategy there are a lot of competing ideas and duplicated efforts. This causes a great deal of inefficiency and an incredibly complicated organizational chart. As a sales person much of what I was told through the interview process were exaggerations (earning potential, growth opportunities, strength of the product) to get me on board.

Advice to Management

Stop being so scared to innovate. Listen to the people on the ground, and be open to new ideas.

"Acquired and dismissed"

Former Employee - Writer and Editor
    Former Employee - Writer and Editor

Pros

Good publications, high quality databases

Cons

Informa executives assured employees when it acquired our organization that the company wanted to keep our team intact. A few months later, half of us were dismissed. The layoff process was mismanaged too.

Advice to Management

The left hand and the right hand should work together.

"No care for employees"

Pros

Not many worth listing. At the lowest levels the people are OK, but best talent never stays long due to the cons.

Cons

Constantly changing directions, questionable leadership, and a culture of really not caring much about employees and no loyalty to employees that have been with the company a while or contributed significantly. It's all about the money and not much else.

Advice to Management

Renewed focus on human resource management and caring for employees rather than just treating them like expendable assets that can be disposed of on a whim.

"INFORMA Client facing"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Informa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers were great people

Cons

No mission, no direction, obsolete product

Advice to Management

Overhaul mgmt and don't blame your people!

"Company Spinning out of control and Failing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at Informa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New people bring their ideas from great corporations.

Cons

No respect for employees. Antagonistic meetings and reviews designed to pressure employees into doing excess amounts of work. Schedules are unrealistic, software has not changed design, it is only replaced by other purchased company software. No research and development budget. Poor sales management by top management. Mr. Toich is not the CEO only a director of the Informa owned company (even the titles are deceptive). Poor outlook on business, failing business. AVOID.

Advice to Management

Make way for real upper management to take your place.

"Management needs some work"

Former Employee - Marketer
    Former Employee - Marketer

I worked at Informa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great people to work with and fun work in general. alot of learning opportunities

Cons

no progression and management are very closed off. It's their way or the highway.

Advice to Management

Have an open door policy