Informatica Reviews | Glassdoor

Informatica Chief Executive Officer Anil Chakravarthy
Anil Chakravarthy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not good at times (in 31 reviews)

• The current privatization will reduce interest in R&D and bring down cost cutting everywhere (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company sitting squarely on the explosive trends and poised for success!"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture! Everyone is on board to help realize the company mission - make our customers successful by helping them harness the power of their data! Great management, supportive and always helpful peers across the globe, comp and benefits at par with the best. I haven't worked at the company HQ or offices so can't say much about that.

Cons

None! I try not to look for things to complain as that is an addictive mindset and appreciate all the amazing things at this company!

Advice to Management

Stick to what you're doing I.e. Drive the company towards the trends of the market and what our customers truly need to be successful. We are all in this together!

May 23, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition Marketing & Employer Branding

Thank you for your comments and your enthusiasm. It's people like you who will ensure that we become the leading Enterprise Cloud Data Management company in the world!

"Nothing to get excited about"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Nothing comes to mind... Some of the people I worked with were nice but it seemed everyone really just tried to cover for themselves. The pay was decent but nothing special for the area.

Cons

After nearly 18 months on the job, I still hadn't received a single employee assessment. Most feedback was in the form of criticism about what I had failed to do, which usually, I was not aware of. The training I received when joining the company was spotty and insufficient. Generally, lack of training was the source of many of my issues. Growth opportunities were zilch.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at the organization and solicit employee feedback on the company and the managers. Many of the managers have been there a long time and are entrenched in their ways. Also, examine the employee review process.

"This is the worst company I have worked for throughout my entire IT career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The best things about Informatica are its growth, salary, benefits and they do have smart business managers, but they leave a lot to be desired as people managers.

Cons

This is probably the worst place I have worked at in my 17 year IT industry career. Salary and benefits are good, but the pressure and stress they put you under makes it not worth it. If you are a workaholic, have no life, and/or your family doesn't care that you are not present, then it's a great place to work. I have been micromanaged, overburdened, and under trained from the day I started about a year ago. My manager hired me with only partial skills for my job, fully aware of this, then he tells me afterward that he doesn't have the time to train or mentor me, but still has the expectation that I will come up to speed quickly. Had he told me this before I was hired, I probably would not have taken the job. Problem is, they think this is my failure. I can go back to any company I have worked for in IT, have gotten very good reviews and came away with friends from every IT company I have worked for prior to Informatica. Informatica's management team is trying to squeeze every ounce of productivity from its employees, overburdening them with unrealistic expections. It is definitely a sweatshop. It is difficult to say of course, how much of this is my group vs. other groups, but I have heard similar things from people I have spoken to who have joined in the last 1 to 2 years. They have a very strange culture, it is not a warm atmosphere at all. Perhaps the long time employees are treated better.

Advice to Management

You are approaching the $1B level. Unless you guys change the way you treat employees and give them proper work/life balance and more realistic expectations, then when the market opens up, you will see a mass migration of employees. You can't scale with the people you have now and if you expect to grow and attract the best talent, you need to create better job satisfaction. Bennies and pay are great, but they aren't everything. I worked for a very large competitor who payed me a bit less and their benefits were far inferior, but my job satisfaction was so much better, I would go back to them in a minute (and have put out feelers to them) as they would take me back.

"Stay away from R&D"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, many passionate developers and architects
    Good pay and benefits
    Many old-timers still with the company providing continuity

Cons

The most relationship-oriented culture I have experienced (rather than results or accomplishments oriented)
    Frequent (every 6 months) major reorgs
    Very political R&D execs - almost exclusively managing up
    Most planning discussions rotate around what CEO, CPO or other execs want to hear, and what will make our exec look good, not around what the market or customers need
    Many great people have left, especially senior people who joined recently
    Many old-timers are great, but there are too many over-promoted old-timers resting on their laurels

Advice to Management

Get new senior management in R&D

"Environment at certain department can be very stressful and toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company overall is fine. Fast-paced.

Cons

Environment at certain department can be very toxic and stressful - lots of politics, lack of respect from management to employees, and a waste of money on unnecessary deliverable/resource.

Advice to Management

Respect employees and recognize them based on their efforts and the work actually being done.

"High school all over again"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Informatica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and some really technical talent.

Cons

I have never worked in a company with so many people in senior management positions with small people syndrome. The attitude is not what you know but the clique you belong to. It was uncomfortable and felt like I was in high school again. The management team has been together so long and act like the popular kids that bully you and can do no wrong. They preach a work culture of embracing and rarely follow their own advice.

Advice to Management

Break up the clique and get some new people to lead some great technical talent. Get some leaders the are honest and real.

"Toxic, stressful environment with bad managers and no career growth opportunities"

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Officce location is nice at the water

Cons

Bad managers no career opportunities no interesting things to work on

Jun 7, 2013 – Vice President International Human Resources

Thanks for your review - Its really helpful to get this feedback and we are doing everything we can to make sure that we continue as one of the happiest Silicon-Valley based companies. We are glad... More

"TToxic ToxicToxic"

Current Employee - Architect in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Enterprise level Integration is a good place to be in despite freebee products out there.
    Company has a range of products that enable it address multiple market verticals.

Cons

Toxic work environment.
    The company is focused on moving 'all' of Engineering & Operations offshore.

Lately they have been importing folks from India on 2 yr work visas.
    Work hours are brutal with no work-life balance.

Managers are pathetic with no people skills what-so-ever.
    New products or ideas are non existent.
    The good ones have either left or are heading towards the door.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act.

Oct 8, 2013 – Sr. HR Business Partner

I would like to Thank You for your candid feedback. We take all feedback good or not so good to heart. I am happy to hear that you feel that Enterprise level integration is the place to be and that... More

"Not the Company it once was - Low Pay, High Stress, Legacy Products, Too many Sales Reps."

Current Employee - Major Account Manager
    Current Employee - Major Account Manager

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Potential to reclaim it's glory if someone takes back control

Cons

- Pay is not competitive
    - Losing to open source competitors and to the mega vendors. We are losing market leadership, fast.
    - Was once a family, but now sale teams are stressed and not making money.
    - High turnover - Many once-successful people have left. Many of us are planning to leave if not fixed NOW.
    - Lots of politics and in-fighting
    - The board appears to run this company, but it's clear they have no clue what our issues are.

Advice to Management

Manage needs to:
    - Innovate. You can't grow organically with the same old ETL, MDM, & PIM. Cloud is low $s. Need to expand in Big Data, BI, Analytics, Business Applications. Take a risk on acquiring new companies! You loss your entrepreneurial spirit.
    - Improve culture and solve the feeling that we are a number. High pressure from management is not a motivator!
    - Many of us once-successful sales reps are starving.
    - There is better pay and more aggressive compensation plans elsewhere, hopefully you see that with those that have left and or will leave.
    - Provide a reasonable sales quota and coverage. Reps and much of the field team are leaving for better jobs and to make money.
    - You over-hired reps just to cover revenue goals - this is the definition of stupidity as evidenced in revenue issues.
    - Who's the leader? We don't see it. What's the plan?
    - Many of us are planning to leave if not fixed NOW, not next year, now!

"Got out quick."

I worked at Informatica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great......... Parking is available..... Free gym on site. That's it.

Cons

People here don't directly communicate. They skirt around issues and have some major egos (this could have just been my department). I remember within my first few weeks, I saw an individual contributor vent to a director about one of the director's direct reports and the director joined in on the attack, and yet when the director talked to the direct report, she acted like it wasn't a big deal and it was just a minor slip-up (and why these people wouldn't close their doors for this is beyond me). I realized after that and after meeting with more people that they don't really care about the product (on the business side) and their "niceness" is actually passive-aggressive. The CEO likes to call out other companies/business leaders negatively during meetings which I think is unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves.