Information Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Information Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Information Concepts. The office atmosphere was great and they give a ton of freedom in terms of dress code and work hours. Great for work life balance. One of the most important things I gained from working here was the experience working in very small teams on smaller projects where I had much more responsibility than you'll often have when working in larger teams. The smaller projects also allow you to learn a variety of skills since you'll often work on multiple projects per year.

Cons

You can be sent to random, off site locations for work. Also, while they do support some cleared projects, if you have a clearance I wouldn't count on being able to maintain it for many years while working here.

2. "When you see one bad review among a crowd of good reviews - you have to ask..."

Current Employee - Business Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you look at reviews on Amazon and see one person rating a product with 1 star while everyone else gives it 4 or 5 stars, it's easy to identify the source of the problem.
    I have been with the company for almost 18 months. The principals are down-to-earth, intelligent, and their skills compliment each other's extremely well. You have the freedom to work in your own style, at your own pace, so long as you are productive. The employees are great, and most have been with the company for many years.

Cons

Only with Glassdoor - the site doesn't appear to do any checking to see if a reviewer is actually a current employee.

3. "A great first job for developers!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Information Concepts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, flexibility on hours, young and friendly workforce. Great place for developers to get their skills honed. It is a great "bootcamp" for young developers right out of school. Easy to get stuff done. No "layers" of management to go through. The founders are very accessible! HR is great and very approachable.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but no one will hold your hand here. They expect you to hone your skills on your own and be proactive about staying up to date on technology. Sink or swim. Stay relevant or move out.

Advice to Management

Keep benefits strong and a cool culture going.

4. "A place to grow and learn"

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time

Pros

This is an 30 old company that sometimes feels like a startup -- As a developer, I have seen them push the envelope and adopt new frameworks and platforms to meet customer needs.

I don't feel like I am locked in from a technology standpoint -- I have worked on different projects with different platforms, .Net, Salesforce, and Open Source. We have started to deploy systems on Amazon and Azure.

Cons

Overall the guys that run this company have been doing it for a long time and they mean well, its tough to balance the different projects and skills needed to get everything out the door on time.

Everyone is busy on ther projects and sometimes you do not know what another team is working on.

Advice to Management

Continue the off site meetings, they let everyone get together and understand the company direction and projects.

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Network Administrative in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Network Administrative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, I've been here for just over a year now, so I figure I might as well write a review. I've had my fair share of different jobs before this one, but this one is the best I've ever had. I really like it here.
    My Pros:
    --I've learned A LOT!! I can't even begin to imagine how good for my career this job is. I look at this place as like "IT Bootcamp" - I've enjoyed the responsibility of using so many different technologies, and accomplished many different things, and in a short amount of time.
    --Casual and relaxed atmosphere; can dress casual, chat/joke around with co-workers (to a degree; we all know better than to slack--we're a small team so we know to "get 'er done").. Oh and depending on your job role and/or workload, you can sometimes work from home.
    --Everyone here is very smart, and very nice. I find I get along great with everyone, and have made several friends here.
    --There's free food, soft drinks, and coffee!
    --The boss has saved my life not once, but twice. lol. First, when I had no job, he hired me. And second, when my living situation turned bad, I got a raise when I asked for it, which let me move when I needed to. The boss is a genius, no-nonsense, economical business owner, and he's had the patience to teach me things that I did not know. I've also asked for certain books, for certs or job requirements, and they were ordered for me.
    --There can be a lot of work at times, but then other times the workload is light. I don't mind the variability, and I'm glad that, at least some times, there is free time to study at work. Doesn't get much better than that.

Cons

Can't believe the negative reviews on this site. To those afraid of spying, lol, no one spies on your computer. There's bigger fish to fry, believe me. And sure I've been paranoid about it too, but I've used tools to see what's going on, and well, there's nothing. There are helpdesk reports for if your hard drive runs low on space, or if you delete something from the files server, I can find out who it was from AD auditing. But that's about it.

If you feel under-compensated, then bring it up with them. Negotiate. And get your certs. They want you to get certs, they go out of their way to help you achieve that, so do that first and then you have better marketability. Simple.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on.

"7+ Years with the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy having direct Contact with compay's two Principals.

The flexible, casual work environment make working here ideal.

I also like the small company environment where you get to know everyone. In my role, knowing everyone makes getting my job done easier.

Like several of my Information Concepts colleagues, I left the company when I moved out of the area and happily rejoined Info when I moved back to the DC area.

Cons

None for me. Although Consulting and small company environments are not for everyone. Our environment is not as structured as some, so a proactive, entrepreneurial spirit is a must here.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company has been around for 30 years.
    - Overall reputation with their clients is excellent.
    - The owners are very flexible, and treat the employees with tremendous freedom and respect so long as you are productive, reliable and communicate well with your team, management and the customers.
    - Customer focused

Cons

- Relaxed atmosphere could be a negative if you lack initiative, and the ability to demonstrate and document your activity.
    - Quality of work environment could suffer if the team manager isn't up to the task. But, I think they've cleaned out the riff raff.

Advice to Management

- Communicate more, and more often.

8. "Good place to work, learn, grow"

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time

Pros

Developers get to code, not manage projects or collect requirements
    Business analysts / project managers get to think creatively about how to solve customers' business problems.
    Project teams value and incorporate input from all team members to produce the best solution for the customer.
    Casual work environment, flexible work schedules, telecommuting.

Cons

Expectations can be high for speed and accuracy of work.
    Busy teams and flat organizational structure sometimes means people don't realize where to look to for guidance/approval.

Advice to Management

Create a mobile-focused practice to get a bigger foothold in that space.

"Mainly a pretty decent place"

Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA

Pros

Laid back place most of the time. Good experience if you are just starting out, you will do a lot of things and get experience in many different areas that becomes very valuable if you move on. Casual dress, opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Egos abound. Nothing is ever the owners' fault and they like their sacrificial sheep. . Projects drone on and on and you will start with a team of 10 then have a team of 3 and be expected to have the same results if not better. You have to fight for resources and they won't even pay mileage if you have to go to a client site. Low pay for the most part, I got a 11k pay raise elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop pinching so many pennies. Your turnover rate is atrocious, that's not due to a boatload of bad employees but a boatload of bad management and everyone being overworked. Give recognition for a job well done.

"Worst bunch of jerks I've ever worked for and with"

Former Employee - Developer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in Herndon, VA

Pros

Once a month developers meet to talk about tech stuff, with a presentation or two, but these are generally not useful.

I was able to work from home 3 days a week, and change days freely as needed.

The developers are mostly nice people, but the senior developers are not (see below)

Once a month they feed you lunch, which is so-so and which you often eat in the parking lot (yes you read that right).

Cons

I was so underpaid that my next job was $20k higher.

They failed to pick up my security clearance through incompentance and I lost it as a result.

Developers are, amazingly, not allowed to see the requirements, which are filtered through PMs first. This causes endless problems with the software being written (and rewritten again, and again, and...)

The PMs are, generally, incompetant, lazy, demanding, and full of themselves. They know they are more important than the developers despite this being a software development company. They poorly interpret requirements and write sloppy specs; they don't even bother to check the table designs to see if they are telling you the right tables and fields to pull from, for example. They don't readily clarify their mistakes (or admit them), which they often repeat. Despite their lousy work slowing you down, they expect you to work fast and don't accept the idea that they are the speed bump. Most have less than 2 years experience and know little to nothing about software development, and yet you answer to them and have to follow their directions despite having way more experience. This means you're the senior person but are treated like you're junior. And you have to do things that are bad practice, because correcting them gets you disliked - and that has consequences (see below).

There is no job growth or potential there, as there are four "senior developers" who've worked there for years and determine coding policies, etc., and they aren't looking for more of them.

Three of the four senior developers will never say a word to you if they have a problem with your code, even when you repeatedly ask for feedback or for them to review it. They'll say something to management though, and you will be shocked that it's been going on behind your back. You'll find you've been under "probation" for months and had no idea, and yet when you ask what's the matter with your code you will get no answer, eroding your trust. This happened to more than just me - and I saw the other's code and there was nothing wrong with it.

They repeatedly try to make people who don't want to work offsite or in specific locations (like really far away) do so, even when other employees are willing to take that spot. They don't care about your preferences and are not flexible. "Sometimes you do what has to be done" they say. Yeah, like finding another job.

Project Managers talk so much dirt about developers (and vice versa) that other PMs don't want to work with someone and people can lose their job over it, even if there's a just minor personality clash. Management allows this and does not step in to investigate, preferring to teminate someone.

There is no long term or short term disability or life insurance.

You are not rewarded for doing a good job or going above and beyond what is reasonably expected. In fact, no comment will be made at all.

Regarding termination: they make this decision and "let on" to people about it for up to a month before the axe falls. You know, stuff like not looking you in the eye anymore, not giving you a Christmas bonus everyone else got, that sort of thing. Or terminating all your access to the network before telling you you're fired, which happened to someone else there.

They are cheap, as the only bonus you'll ever see is a measely $500 gift card, if that. These are not based on merit either, but social standing.

Advice to Management

You are not kings and your employees are not tools to be used in any way you see fit. They have careers and skills they want to use and job locations they are willing to work. They are people, not things.