Information Management Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Information Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My first job coming out of college and couldn't have made a better choice. The work environment is wonderful, nice work/life balance, and working with cancer data is fulfilling.

Cons

Every first birthday for an employee, we have a ice cream gathering but the happy birthday song is too dull and slow. But that's been the culture there so I respect it. But that's about it.

2. ""Ok as a Beginner Job""

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Information Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a beginner job they do give you training period. You have a office you share with a someone.

Cons

No one talks. Its either talk about what you are working on at the weekly meeting else nothing. I moved from out of state and had a hard time adjusting and with no one talking I feel it is difficult to work.
    My work feels like a data entry person instead of a programmer analyst

Advice to Management

I was hired as a programmer analyst. The details about the job wanted someone to know programming. Ever since I was hired, the only time I did some type of coding was during training. After training I have been making excel sheets rearranging data from documents to other documents. The company should just hire a data entry person do not false advertise. During the interview I was told work/life is flexible just need to complete 40 hours a week with 2 weeks of vacation. No vacation. You need to work to get time off which is normal. Turns out I adjusted hours so I could get out earlier on Friday and told supervisor in advance I was going to do this and they said it was okay. The following week I got told what I did was wrong.

3. "Good for a first job as an entry level web or software dev but pays very average"

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Calverton, MD
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Calverton, MD

I worked at Information Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and low pressure environment
    Offices instead of cubicles and a nice floor/building overall
    They are very flexible with allowing you to telework (as long as you show you have done work)
    Very organized in intraoffice communication through chats and emails and their issue tracker. Meetings are pretty infrequent so lots of time to concentrate

Cons

Pay is not great and barely average.
    There are only 3 levels of management and while titles may vary, a more experienced or senior dev helping a junior with an issue/blocker is not really presented as an encouraged option.

Advice to Management

For bigger projects, encourage communication between coworkers on that project when one may feel stuck on a task and other members have time.

4. "It's a decent place depending on your career goals"

I worked at Information Management Services full-time

Pros

-You can end up working on multiple projects at once
    -Laid-back atmosphere
    -You get an office instead of a cubicle
    -Free donuts/bagels on Fridays
    -Work/life balance is emphasized.

Cons

-Depending on the projects you work on, you may do little to nothing. If you want to barely do any work during the week and just surf the web all day, that's on you.
    -Can be too slow-paced. You may be told that your project will implement this and that very soon but it never happens.
    -Lack of team building. Lack of formal on-the-job training. Little to no emphasis on continuing education.
    -If you decide to stay longer than 2-3 years, you could find yourself deficient in programming when looking for other software developer jobs due to having unchallenging or simple work.
    -Pay is lower than average. Can't really compare to other companies about benefits but I think health insurance was great.
    -Not entirely a con, but bonuses are gift cards. Maybe others get something more for their efforts or longevity with company.

Advice to Management

Encourage on the job training and professional development to keep with the times and fast pace of technology. Also encourage team building. There will come a time when the oldheads will leave and hopefully that means a fresh identity and livelier environment for all employees.

5. "Great work-life balance, low pay"

I have been working at Information Management Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

laid back, friendly, flexible, low-stress

Cons

low-pay, favoritism, no career advancement

6. "Kind of a crapshoot"

Pros

Atmosphere is informal. Projects are often gov't contracts that get extended or delayed for reasons outside the company's control. Most people get put on multiple projects. This is good -- it enables you to learn from a variety of situations. It's sort of against company culture to directly pressure you. You won't be forced to work a certain way as long as you can juggle your tasks at the slow & steady pace that's expected of you.

We develop primarily on Windows, which can be awkward compared to Unix-like systems, but we do keep up with developments in software. We don't develop in a cave.

Cons

Going hand-in-hand with that atmosphere, management style is passive and laissez faire. This is a double-edged sword. If you get on a project with management that's interested in what you're doing, the job can be fun and educational. If not, you can waste a lot of time and be quite lonely. Oftentimes I'm told that things will be happening 'very soon' and then wait months before work begins.

I've never had an in-person code review. Some of my tasks are reviewed more thoroughly than others. Some of it is barely looked at. Again, this varies by whom I work with; some teams are quite good about feedback.

The pay is relatively low. They're honest about this up front.

Advice to Management

Get involved and make sure people have enough stuff to do and that they're not getting jerked around. Being at least somewhat productive is important to me.

7. "Excellent work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Information Management Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent flexibility. Very understanding supervisors who will work with you to help you handle family life along with balancing job responsibilities. Can work remotely and flex your hours, at least on a limited basis. Open-door policy: very easy to speak with management and even higher-up company leaders to voice any questions or concerns. Friendly people and comfortable, high-quality office space. Seems to continue to win contracts and with long contract terms, etc.

Cons

Flat management may be a con if you want to climb a corporate ladder. Uncertainty on which projects are coming in the future, career progression, etc, but it is a contractor after all. Not much support for continuing education, certifications, etc.

Advice to Management

Support employees in obtaining training/certifications - this can only strengthen your ability to complete the tasks assigned and also to win more business in the future!

8. "Good Entry Level Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calverton, MD

Pros

The environment is fairly laid-back, without much micromanagement. There is a mentoring system for new hires, and they favor hiring entry-level. Flex time is available, and the paid time off is decent. There is also a work at home option, though generally this is meant to be used sparingly.

Cons

The structure of the company is mostly flat, with the majority of employees on the same level, and salaries based primarily on seniority. There are not many opportunities for advancement beyond staying at the company for a long time.
    Workload and interactions with management can vary greatly depending on the project an employee is involved with, and sometimes feedback can be difficult to get or inconsistent.
    Also the pay is below-average, and the health insurance is relatively expensive.

"Clinical Data Specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Calverton, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Calverton, MD

I have been working at Information Management Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry level position. There is the ability to learn a lot and take on new responsibilities if you are open to them and ask for work. IMS prides itself on its work-life balance. Managers are laid back and understanding as long as you are doing your job.

Cons

Pay is low. Work was tedious, and workload was a bit too light at times. Management does not encourage innovation.

Advice to Management

Create avenues for development for employees who aren't programmers or software developers. Your clinical staff has an important perspective to share with the more technical positions who don't have the clinical knowledge. Give them projects where they will have more opportunities for growth.

10. "Good Company, Sad to Leave It"

Current Employee - SAS Programmer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - SAS Programmer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Information Management Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible company which will train you and let you work on the projects you're interested in. Has been steadily growing for the last decade and probably won't be stopping any time soon. Extremely casual work environment and culture. Nice people and managers. Will assist with furthering education and certifications. Allows telecommuting full time and part time. Patient with training first time employees/SAS programmers. Never required to work OT without being payed, and when you do work OT it's extremely rare.

Cons

Promotions to management positions is mostly based on seniority. The work environment is almost too lax. If you didn't want any responsibilities, you could probably just float by.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to push people harder or raise your expectations for programmers.