Information Security Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sanjay Kalra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales"

I have been working at Information Security Media Group full-time

Pros

I've worked in sales at ISMG for over 6 years. ISMG is in an industry sector that is exploding that provides a great opportunity to excel financially. ISMG pays higher than industry standard salary and commission. Many companies look for ways to cut commissions, ISMG wants their sales team to earn as much as possible. My income has consistently increased for the last 6 years.

Cons

ISMG is an intense work place with high expectations for their sales team.

Advice to Management

ISMG needs to continue to recruit high achieving people to grow the company

"WOW, simply the worst company I've ever worked for"

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time

Pros

I really can't think of an y Pros, even the paycheck wasn't worth the hassle of being employed at this awful place

Cons

There really are so many to list here, but I'll start with it's the worst, most toxic workplace I've ever worked at in my 20+ years in the workforce. The CEO regularly berates his staff with harsh, negative motivation. Something he thinks will motivate you...it doesn't. The hours are 8:30 to 5:30 but its more like 8 to 6 because if you're not at your desk knee deep in work by 8:30 you're looked down upon. And don't think leaving at 5:30 is an option - the two or three that do leave at 5:30 are talked about by management making it obvious they expect you to work well past your scheduled time of departure.

The turn over here is also high as people take this job thinking it's going to be a career and when they find out it's more like indentured servitude they go elsewhere - particularly in the sales department. Sales team members are regularly shafted out of commissions and I know there are several past employees planning a class action lawsuit against the company.

Advice to Management

High an outside manager to oversee the staff and pay them an exorbitant amount of money so they'll put up with your mistreatment. That way the staff that actually does the work won't be harassed by you and maybe you won't have such a high rate of turnover

Dec 4, 2017 – General Manager

Thank you, ex-employee, for caring enough about ISMG and our current employees to provide your feedback and opinions. For any readers interested in our true employee statistics feel free to visit... More

"Fast growing organization in the right space"

I have been working at Information Security Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ISMG provides qualified employees the opportunity to be a part of an organization that is solely focused on one of the fastest growing industries in the world, information security. While many organizations are looking to catch up in this space, ISMG already has an established footprint globally with editors, sales teams and operations located across four continents. Expectations of team members are high, as they should be for a company in a competitive space in “growth mode.” This give team members the ability work hard, feel you are contributing and as the company expands and provide upward movement in your career. The management team is always accessible with an open door policy to help promote collaboration, regardless of your level or position.

With 20 years’ experience in the workforce, the ability to take ownership and be more entrepreneurial than you potentially can be at companies with 5000+ is important, you are given that opportunity regardless of years of experience.

Cons

With high expectations you must be willing to work hard on a daily basis, if this is in your DNA, then it’s not a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the team and expand the already established culture building activities like holiday get together, birthday celebrations and team lunches.

Sep 18, 2017 – General Manager

Dear Employee -

Thank you for perfectly capturing the environment here at ISMG! We continue to listen to constructive feedback/criticism from our employees and will evolve as the company grows... More

"Disgraceful humans"

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to a mall and restaurants. That's about it, now just filibustering in order to meet the 20 word mimimum.

Cons

Execs are absolutely horrible people. No regard to life outside of their dysfunctional bubble. Very obvious that the "managers" have never taken any courses in people management and if they did, they slept through it. Cocky and arrogant, they feel that they're the most important people on earth and that life will cease to exist without them when in reality they aren't even a blemish on the cheek of actual movers and shakers. My only hope is that one day their children get treated the same way they treat their employees but even then their egos are too bloated to allow them to think that how they treat people, yes, "employees" are people first and foremost, is wrong and inhumane.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter because they aren't going to take it anyway. This review will most likely be taken down even though this app says that employers cannot have reviews removed. Let's give it a shot, though. Sell the company to someone that isn't cold and callous and is human.

"5+ years and happy!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Information Security Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ISMG has a great office space, a cafe and gym in the building and it is in close location to tons of restaurants and a mall where you can spend your lunch hour or after work hours.

Personally speaking: I started with ISMG out of college and joined in a role that was dedicated to assisting multiple teams - marketing, sales, PR, HR, etc. After a short period of time I was able to see that I was excelling in the recruitment and hiring functions and I expressed my interest to pursue this role further to management. They agreed and encouraged my development in the role.

Once you establish an open, honest working relationship with management (which comes with time and succeeding in your current role) they are quite open to flexible work schedules.

Management offers an open door policy.

Cons

If you are the type of professional that requires a lot of "hand-holding", ISMG is not the place for you. We hire professionals that we feel can jump in, hit the ground running and succeed. Most people are hired for specific roles, but tend to wear multiple hats (which regularly happens in smaller/medium sized businesses). If you're not willing to lend a hand and jump in where needed, again, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

I encourage all team members to keep communication lines open with their co-workers as well as their direct managers. Positive reinforcement and constructive criticism should be encouraged.

Showing appreciation goes a long way - a thank you, early departure on a Friday, pizza gathering for lunch, impromptu happy hour planned by management, etc. The more employees feel appreciated, the harder they will work!

"A waste of time for the experienced professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent commute for those in Mercer County (West Central NJ). Princeton office is very professional looking, with an OPEN environment.

Cons

Let’s discuss the claims made on the career portion of the website and how they are misleading.

Friendly Environment – This was listed first on the careers portion of the website, but has since been removed. While many people are this organization are friendly, the environment is extremely toxic due to the attitude of the owner (president) of the company. It is an atmosphere of fear, distrust, and personal debasement. YMMV.

Global Workforce – From the outside, this company looks large – however, do not be fooled. It is a small “mom and pop” family shop. There are less than 65 employees, with less than 20 in the Princeton office. The individuals that have been with the company the longest have the option of telecommuting, while other individuals (those with poor relationships with management) are required to come into the office (again, at the behest of the owner).

This is NOT a good company for most working mothers or family caregivers as the flexibility is selective and all away time is recorded and scrutinized, often after unpleasant discussions. The Princeton office is located on Route 1 and looks very professional, however it is not a cubicle environment (they have “pods”), which can be challenging for those require focus and privacy to accomplish work. Senior management have offices.

Competitive Salaries – Sales positions do have commissions, however payments are subjective to management review which can take months.

401K matching is laughable and takes many years to be vested. There is no dental plan or mental health benefit plan (which is needed considering the stress level). Basic 5 sick day, 2 personal days, and 2-weeks flat vacation (accrued, based on approval from management, and you cannot take two week consecutively). Bereavement is 2 days (other companies give one week). 1 hour lunch (which will be monitored). YMMV. Despite the fact that all employees are salaried, you will be required to clock in and out using a web based time keeping system.

During the compensation negotiation phase, the counter offer was the same salary with a promise of 6 month review (which was insulting). That six month review did not come. Many employees wait three to six month for their annual review. My position continued to be listed on careers site long after I was hired, which gives a bad impression in regards to stability.

Unlimited Potential – As this is a small company, you will have your job description and then be asked to “wear many hats” often working on owner generated “growth projects”. These projects often have little to do with your position or field, and are questionable as to how they contribute to the bottom line of the company. While some would look at this scenario as an opportunity, for those who are uncomfortable working outside their career boundaries, fields (or even in the realm of common sense), it can be a harrowing experience. There are no budgets, timelines, deadlines or project management – the ambiguity of direction or requirements can be frustrating.

Sales territories are not managed properly, resulting in disjointed campaigns and overlapping engagement. Marketing approach relies on aggressive indiscriminate emailing, without input from Sales for industry focus. You will be required to record ALL client related actions and communications within a CRM system for upper management review and comment.

There is high turnover. Positive reviews on Glassdoor were written by upper management and favored middle management.

Advice to Management

While upper management may have the technical background for the information security and digital marketing arena, they do not have the business leadership acumen. Start trusting your employees to do their jobs, talk less, and approach accountability in a professional manner. Number 1 Rule – Take care of your people and they’ll take care of the customers.

Dec 30, 2016 – General Manager

First of all, we truly thank you for caring about the future of ISMG and our employees enough to provide feedback on your experience with us. As we continue to grow and bring on fresh talent, it's... More

"Great Opportunity to Grow"

I have been working at Information Security Media Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

At a time when most of the traditional B2B media houses are cutting back and laying off staff, ISMG can't hire enough experienced journalists. Great opportunity for traditional journalists to step into a multimedia role where they can create content online, in audio and video, as well as in person and on stage at ISMG events. ISMG is expanding globally and needs senior journalists in Europe and Asia, as well as North America.

Cons

If you're scared of accountability, stay away. This is a lean, startup operation, and there are no safety nets. If you don't do your job, there's not someone else who will do it for you. This is *not* your typical big-company culture. Step in and stand up on your own merits.

"Career Opp (Not a Job Opp)"

Current Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ

Pros

I've worked at ISMG as a full-time employee for 5+ years now and pretty much owe my existence to the company. Pay is extremely competitive. Since I've been here we've grown from a small group of 15 employees to more than 70 worldwide. There are only a handful of companies in the world who do what we do, and we do it better than anyone. To be clear, this is a company for people who are looking for careers, not a "9 to 5" job. Given the size of the company and rapid growth, every employee is vital and accountable.

Cons

Employees are expected to perform (so weird that I'm actually listing this as a con...). If you are used to leaving your job at 5pm and not thinking about it until the next morning, this is not the job for you.

"A Toxic House Of Cards"

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time

Pros

Great industry to be in, very good journalist team which is the only real asset of the company. Struggling to fill the 20 word minimum.

Cons

This is just a sample
    High employee turnover, some leave as soon as possible and some dont even list their time at ISMG on linkedin.
    Poor health benefits package and nothing for first 3 months
    Work day is 8:30 to 5:30 and is strictly monitored
    Some salaried employees even have to clock in and out for the day AND for lunch
    ANY time away is noticed, criticized and hinted at showing lack of commitment
    Zero respect for work life balance but over the top work commitment is expected
    Work from home is frowned upon even in most snow storms
    No respect or trust means you have to risk damage or iinjury driving to work instead of work from home
    Execs made employees work from hotel meeting room when power went out in office DURING hurricane sandy
    Using cell phones in office was compared to kids being scared by car crashes in weird notice from exec
    Daily sales meetings are just a time for execs (who dont understand sales) to ridicule and criticize sales team, a win is only a win due to "brand" of company any failure is your own fault
    Very slow payment of expenses (no company credit card), commission or suppliers is normal

Advice to Management

Get a management team that can manage and respect people

Mar 16, 2016 – General Manager

The person who wrote this review has been verified by a current employee.

The manager that the person who wrote this review reported to is no longer with the company.

Also, the person who wrote... More

"Worst place to work"

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time

Pros

Decent product to sell and with decent commission. If you can sell your compensation could be good.

Cons

Territories are account based and best accounts are coveted leaving new people with the worst accounts to attack. Expectations are unrealistic. Management micromanages more than any other company. No autonomy. Endless meetings about nothing where management hammers sales people for something every day. Management is inexperienced and does not know media although they pretend to. There is little concern for the employee and everything is about where the next dollar of revenue will come from.

Advice to Management

Find new management