Information Security Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 26, 2017

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sanjay Kalra

"Career Opp (Not a Job Opp)"

Current Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Information Security Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at ISMG as a full-time employee for 5+ years now and pretty much owe my existence to the company. Pay is extremely competitive. Since I've been here we've grown from a small group of 15 employees to more than 70 worldwide. There are only a handful of companies in the world who do what we do, and we do it better than anyone. To be clear, this is a company for people who are looking for careers, not a "9 to 5" job. Given the size of the company and rapid growth, every employee is vital and accountable.

Cons

Employees are expected to perform (so weird that I'm actually listing this as a con...). If you are used to leaving your job at 5pm and not thinking about it until the next morning, this is not the job for you.

"A waste of time for the experienced professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent commute for those in Mercer County (West Central NJ). Princeton office is very professional looking, with an OPEN environment.

Cons

Let’s discuss the claims made on the career portion of the website and how they are misleading.

Friendly Environment – This was listed first on the careers portion of the website, but has since been removed. While many people are this organization are friendly, the environment is extremely toxic due to the attitude of the owner (president) of the company. It is an atmosphere of fear, distrust, and personal debasement. YMMV.

Global Workforce – From the outside, this company looks large – however, do not be fooled. It is a small “mom and pop” family shop. There are less than 65 employees, with less than 20 in the Princeton office. The individuals that have been with the company the longest have the option of telecommuting, while other individuals (those with poor relationships with management) are required to come into the office (again, at the behest of the owner).

This is NOT a good company for most working mothers or family caregivers as the flexibility is selective and all away time is recorded and scrutinized, often after unpleasant discussions. The Princeton office is located on Route 1 and looks very professional, however it is not a cubicle environment (they have “pods”), which can be challenging for those require focus and privacy to accomplish work. Senior management have offices.

Competitive Salaries – Sales positions do have commissions, however payments are subjective to management review which can take months.

401K matching is laughable and takes many years to be vested. There is no dental plan or mental health benefit plan (which is needed considering the stress level). Basic 5 sick day, 2 personal days, and 2-weeks flat vacation (accrued, based on approval from management, and you cannot take two week consecutively). Bereavement is 2 days (other companies give one week). 1 hour lunch (which will be monitored). YMMV. Despite the fact that all employees are salaried, you will be required to clock in and out using a web based time keeping system.

During the compensation negotiation phase, the counter offer was the same salary with a promise of 6 month review (which was insulting). That six month review did not come. Many employees wait three to six month for their annual review. My position continued to be listed on careers site long after I was hired, which gives a bad impression in regards to stability.

Unlimited Potential – As this is a small company, you will have your job description and then be asked to “wear many hats” often working on owner generated “growth projects”. These projects often have little to do with your position or field, and are questionable as to how they contribute to the bottom line of the company. While some would look at this scenario as an opportunity, for those who are uncomfortable working outside their career boundaries, fields (or even in the realm of common sense), it can be a harrowing experience. There are no budgets, timelines, deadlines or project management – the ambiguity of direction or requirements can be frustrating.

Sales territories are not managed properly, resulting in disjointed campaigns and overlapping engagement. Marketing approach relies on aggressive indiscriminate emailing, without input from Sales for industry focus. You will be required to record ALL client related actions and communications within a CRM system for upper management review and comment.

There is high turnover. Positive reviews on Glassdoor were written by upper management and favored middle management.

Advice to Management

While upper management may have the technical background for the information security and digital marketing arena, they do not have the business leadership acumen. Start trusting your employees to do their jobs, talk less, and approach accountability in a professional manner. Number 1 Rule – Take care of your people and they’ll take care of the customers.

Information Security Media Group Response

Dec 30, 2016 – General Manager

First of all, we truly thank you for caring about the future of ISMG and our employees enough to provide feedback on your experience with us. As we continue to grow and bring on fresh talent, it's ... More

"Stalking via Linkedin"

Former Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people to work with in lower management.

Cons

Since leaving ISMG the management there keeps stalking me via Linkedin. Its very annoying seeing their names pop up as viewing my profile months after I am no longer with company. Time to move on please! While there I was super micro managed and it has continued on Linkedin.

Advice to Management

move on and stop please

"Very entrepreneurial company - if you are opposite of large corporation mindset this is the company for you."

Current Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ

Pros

One of the best base salary packages for sales people I've come across. Plus there is no cap on commission. In fact they give you more commission $ once you exceed your quota. Start-up type mentality. Management definitely wants to win.

Cons

Definitely not a "punch-clock" type of company. If you are looking for a "job" as opposed to a "career" then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

More accolades for a job well-done would be nice, otherwise management is fair. Cannot really comment on non-sales related positions.

"Good learning experience for corporate structure."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Opportunities for advancement for the career employee.

Cons

Pay if you do not get promoted.

Advice to Management

Post opportunities to all candidates and judge on qualifications.

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Pros

If you like being micro-managed and like quiet. It may be the place for you.

Cons

Micromanagement and disrespect of employees.

Advice to Management

Treat people w/respect. Do not laugh and make jokes at their expense.

"5+ years and happy!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

Pros

ISMG has a great office space, a cafe and gym in the building and it is in close location to tons of restaurants and a mall where you can spend your lunch hour or after work hours.

Personally speaking: I started with ISMG out of college and joined in a role that was dedicated to assisting multiple teams - marketing, sales, PR, HR, etc. After a short period of time I was able to see that I was excelling in the recruitment and hiring functions and I expressed my interest to pursue this role further to management. They agreed and encouraged my development in the role.

Once you establish an open, honest working relationship with management (which comes with time and succeeding in your current role) they are quite open to flexible work schedules.

Management offers an open door policy.

Cons

If you are the type of professional that requires a lot of "hand-holding", ISMG is not the place for you. We hire professionals that we feel can jump in, hit the ground running and succeed. Most people are hired for specific roles, but tend to wear multiple hats (which regularly happens in smaller/medium sized businesses). If you're not willing to lend a hand and jump in where needed, again, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

I encourage all team members to keep communication lines open with their co-workers as well as their direct managers. Positive reinforcement and constructive criticism should be encouraged.

Showing appreciation goes a long way - a thank you, early departure on a Friday, pizza gathering for lunch, impromptu happy hour planned by management, etc. The more employees feel appreciated, the harder they will work!

"Great Opportunity to Grow"

I have been working at Information Security Media Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

At a time when most of the traditional B2B media houses are cutting back and laying off staff, ISMG can't hire enough experienced journalists. Great opportunity for traditional journalists to step into a multimedia role where they can create content online, in audio and video, as well as in person and on stage at ISMG events. ISMG is expanding globally and needs senior journalists in Europe and Asia, as well as North America.

Cons

If you're scared of accountability, stay away. This is a lean, startup operation, and there are no safety nets. If you don't do your job, there's not someone else who will do it for you. This is *not* your typical big-company culture. Step in and stand up on your own merits.

"A Toxic House Of Cards"

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time

Pros

Great industry to be in, very good journalist team which is the only real asset of the company. Struggling to fill the 20 word minimum.

Cons

This is just a sample
    High employee turnover, some leave as soon as possible and some dont even list their time at ISMG on linkedin.
    Poor health benefits package and nothing for first 3 months
    Work day is 8:30 to 5:30 and is strictly monitored
    Some salaried employees even have to clock in and out for the day AND for lunch
    ANY time away is noticed, criticized and hinted at showing lack of commitment
    Zero respect for work life balance but over the top work commitment is expected
    Work from home is frowned upon even in most snow storms
    No respect or trust means you have to risk damage or iinjury driving to work instead of work from home
    Execs made employees work from hotel meeting room when power went out in office DURING hurricane sandy
    Using cell phones in office was compared to kids being scared by car crashes in weird notice from exec
    Daily sales meetings are just a time for execs (who dont understand sales) to ridicule and criticize sales team, a win is only a win due to "brand" of company any failure is your own fault
    Very slow payment of expenses (no company credit card), commission or suppliers is normal

Advice to Management

Get a management team that can manage and respect people

Information Security Media Group Response

Mar 16, 2016 – General Manager

The person who wrote this review has been verified by a current employee. The manager that the person who wrote this review reported to is no longer with the company. Also, the person who wrote ... More

"Worst place to work"

I worked at Information Security Media Group full-time

Pros

Decent product to sell and with decent commission. If you can sell your compensation could be good.

Cons

Territories are account based and best accounts are coveted leaving new people with the worst accounts to attack. Expectations are unrealistic. Management micromanages more than any other company. No autonomy. Endless meetings about nothing where management hammers sales people for something every day. Management is inexperienced and does not know media although they pretend to. There is little concern for the employee and everything is about where the next dollar of revenue will come from.

Advice to Management

Find new management