Informing Change Reviews | Glassdoor

Informing Change Reviews

4.7
Ellen Irie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to do good"

Pros

Employees are smart and committed, and genuinely interested in their clients and in informing change in the nonprofit sector. The client projects are interesting, and work on multiple projects simultaneously keeps things interesting and busy. The company's approach to rigorous and applied evaluation, research and strategy is great - the focus is on producing good work that is useful and relevant. Working at a for-profit that serves the non-profit sector gives employees the best of both worlds: the opportunity to do good with competitive compensation and organizational resources to support the work.

It's a woman-owned, small business, and there are plenty of advantages to being part of a more intimate work "family." I am still close to several employees and a wonderful group of alumni. The staff and management have genuine care and concern for others in their professional and personal lives.

I worked my way up in the company and was encouraged to do so. While moving between positions takes time and lots of hard work, there is room and a desire to to promote from within.

Cons

Internal capacity can often be quite unevenly matched to the client work, and is sometimes unevenly distributed among staff. The pressure to win new projects and keep to billable hours can create fatigue and burnout among staff, particularly among those juggling work and family responsibilities. However, these are likely issues at most consulting firms. The company was often slow and resistant to resolving internal issues such as employee performance and interpersonal conflict. At times, more intentional support (coaching, supervision, training) was needed to help staff attain and succeed with new roles and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work to help Informing Change grow and thrive.

2. "Supportive environment, interesting work"

I have been working at Informing Change full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is really committed to both organizational and personal growth and makes a concerted effort to balance the two. The work is mentally engaging and connected to helping nonprofits and foundations improve how they do their work, so I really feel like I'm help affect positive change. Everyone who works here is sharp, committed to the work, and supportive of one another.

Cons

The billable consultancy model means that external client work is always the priority, sometimes at the expense of important internal, company-facing work, such as marketing and communications.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. "Great visionary company with strong leadership!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Informing Change full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, collaborative environment and strong teamwork made my time at Informing Change great! The management team puts heavy emphasis on personal and professional development in a way I've never seen at any other company.

Cons

Structurally some responsibilities were unclear or hazy in my role, but I have heard that since expanding their current infrastructure divides roles more clearly amongst teams and within the company.

Advice to Management

Keep leading the team in the way you do! We all appreciated it!

4. "Informing Change is a great place to work"

I worked at Informing Change full-time

Pros

Informing Change's leadership and management is truly dedicated to fostering a positive, nurturing, and productive company culture. Monthly happy hours, holiday parties, and staff retreats are organized really thoughtfully and do a great job of keeping staff morale high. They are approachable and legitimately interested in the concerns of their employees.

Cons

A lot more time, thought, and effort are put into identifying internal problems than doing the harder work if implementing solutions. The effort is genuine, though.
    When I worked there, the company was struggling to balance staffing expenses with bringing on new clients, which created a lot of pressure on a small staff to perform beyond their capacity. I understand they have done some hiring since then and may have achieved greater balance in that area.

5. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Box Office Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Box Office Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Informing Change (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best job ever Im glad I was giving a chance to work at this company

Cons

The day the company closed

"A decent place to do business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

The management is dedicated to having a great organizational culture, and staff retreats and staff meetings are held to address internal issues and try to improve things. I learned a ton while working here and I loved the people I worked with. What a fun bunch!

Cons

Sometimes they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. There's a lot of processing about internal issues and client issues, but not a lot of resolution. The company is small, so room for advancement is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

I think the management is great at BTW and it's always easy to approach them when issues arise. Good job.