Infrastructure Ontario Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "it's okay..."

I have been working at Infrastructure Ontario full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The great people are the reason you stay. Seeing your impact across the province is nice. Main office locations are downtown.

Cons

Little room for growth.
    Experience gained will not be transferrable to the private sector.
    HR needs to sort themselves out - they seem to offer little to no value.
    Inequities in pay and how groups are treated.
    1 Dundas is a palace compared to 777 Bay St.

Advice to Management

Your employees work hard everyday to prove their worth to you. You need to work hard to prove your value to us.

2. "Outdated culture"

Current Employee - Professional in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Professional in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Infrastructure Ontario full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Two head offices downtown
    Great benefits/pension plan
    Young and enthusiastic work force

Cons

Very top heavy with management
    Limited room for growth
    Serious pay equity issues
    Very little corporate oversight when it comes to things like the work from home policy - decided by line managers on case by case basis.

Advice to Management

Stop just paying lipservice to improving employee retention and start taking action on issues like pay equity and training for managers.

"Went downhill"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Infrastructure Ontario (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally nice people. Flexible work schedule and good benefits. Good for anyone looking for decent money without too much stress.

Cons

Infighting. Lack of clear roles within the company and within government more generally. Promotion and bonus process favours friends of executives. Senior leadership team is very fake and doesn't really seem to care about people.

Advice to Management

Immediate salary review. Run smaller more efficient teams. Too many generals and not enough soldiers. Stop using consultants so much.

"Infrastructure Ontario"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Infrastructure Ontario full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

very wide range of expertise, challenging projects, good benefits, competitive salaries, great environment for learning new skills and developing a career.

Cons

frequent organizational changes, lack of clear communication between upper management and the rest of the organization, complicated and time consuming processes, bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

focus more on internal communication and more face-to-face with the employees, reduce unnecessary administrative duties and hierarchy levels.

5. "iO talk"

Pros

Work life balance, good entry life salary, good location, meets lots of interesting people. Can be very rewarding and fruitful working at IO

Cons

Difficult getting salary increases, unclear promotion requirements, vastly different cultures depending on divisions. If you are used to the public sector, it may be difficult adjusting to the public sector approaches

Advice to Management

Management should focus on prioritizing key improvements in a given year, whether they be process related or something HR related. There needs to be a renewed focus on hiring quality people

"Advisor"

I worked at Infrastructure Ontario full-time

Pros

Good pay and bonus, flex time, work-life balance, location

Cons

Toxic culture, white privilege runs rampant, favouritism, bullying among the workers, cliques, boring, unchallenging work, too many layers of management leaves staff with little to no decision-making power in their work.

Advice to Management

Mgt needs a complete overhaul.

"Relationship driven environment; Unable to retain talent"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Infrastructure Ontario (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and good work life balance;
    Coordination and collaboration needed in all works;
    Pay is good compared to work load.

Cons

Hiring processes are lack of transparency; Promotions have nothing to do with performance;
    Inexperienced team leads have poor management skills;
    Pay policies discourage long term employees.

8. "Fulltime"

Pros

Decent Pay, good work-life balance

Cons

Career Advancement, there must be ppl leave before you could get promotion.

"Disappointing and frustrating with lack of management support and political interference."

I worked at Infrastructure Ontario full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There were a lot of good, hard-working and talented people at IO with a diverse range of backgrounds and skills, such as lawyers, urban planners, property managers, real estate developers, real estate transaction staff, GIS analysts, surveyors, etc. Among the staff level, there was a lot of camaraderie and I learned a lot from everyone and met many interesting people.

Cons

The performance management process and rating system that gives employees bonuses and raises has a severe lack of transparency and is not applied evenly across departments. When questioned about it, I received vague answers. It was maddening. After having worked 8 years diligently and always to a high standard of performance, I was very disappointed that my efforts were not recognized in any tangible way, other than a half-hearted verbal thanks from time to time or by email. When I asked about potential opportunities to move upward, I was shot down. Since I left, I have learned that they are now considering opening up higher level positions in my former business unit. That's very frustrating. As a woman, I felt that my opinions or ideas were routinely dismissed or ignored by my direct manager, only to be adopted later on and called his ideas, or such ideas were only recognized and acted upon when restated by my male colleagues. It was disheartening. I eventually became so demotivated that I looked for work elsewhere and I am a lot happier now that I am in a higher level position, getting paid more and I have more control over what I do and I am being recognized for my contributions. Another con is the oversight provided by the Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure, which is responsible for this agency. Their decision-making process tends to ignore professional and technical advice, or go against it in favour of political optics to protect their minister. I believe that protecting the public and the public's best interest is vastly more important than protecting the reputation of the minister. Sound, rational and logical advice based on real studies should outweigh political optics on any given day.

Advice to Management

It is not enough to give management training to senior management without follow-through. There needs to be greater awareness of gender discrimination, even by people who claim to be fair-minded and perhaps are not consciously aware that they tend to view women's contributions as being of less value than from men. Many studies have been done that clearly demonstrate such a bias, even among women. By becoming more aware of gender bias, leaders can be better prepared to put a stop to such behaviours in the workplace. I have witnessed many talented people either transfer to different departments or leave IO partly because of such treatment, and also because of the lack of transparency in management decisions, which can at times appear irrational and politically motivated.

"No longevity"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Infrastructure Ontario full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros...
    Good work/Life Balance

Cons

Lots of undercover racism and discrimination
    Promotions given to the social, not based on performance or seniority
    Bad leadership
    Lack of knowledge transfer

Advice to Management

Support your staff