Ingenio Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Lots of interesting technical challenges.
    2. Ownership of product is certainly there. Small teams - Ones work is definitely not lost like many big companies.
    3. Dedicated teams and individuals, smart people all around. Very intelligent, flexible and helpful tech-leads and managers.
    4. Huge growth opportunity.
    5. Dedicated higher management which is investing into technical side of product. They definitely know what they are up to.
    6. Profitable
    7. Beautiful office location, free snacks and weekly catered lunch

Cons

1. Like many old products, many software application components have huge technical debt but it is not really a downside, it means more challenges to solve
    2. Needs more people on technical side
    3. Things are getting more process oriented and it feels like getting the things done is getting priority over getting the things perfect, hence the creativity is getting lost (5 gettings :D) - but this could be just my perception.

"Could be big, but running out of time due to some questionable leadership"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Genuine nice people, talented engineering
    - Free snacks and food
    - Great work-life balance
    - Profitable

Cons

Honestly, I used to enjoy coming to work everyday since we had a lot of potentials to grow. In the past few years leadership has made several questionable decisions though. It's sad to say that I will be looking soon.
    - Our strategy is not clear other than acquiring and converting one more customer per day. I am not sure how my daily engineering tasks relate to the growth of the company. Where's our product vision and strategy? The 1PP has zero accountability
    - You get promoted if you are in the inner circle, or get alienated if not. Recent promotion of someone with zero relevant experience as acting-VP is a joke
    - Company has made some questionable decisions in the past few years, dismissing or alienating some of the good talents in Marketing and Product.
    - Extremely short-term focus!!
    - When things are not doing well, leadership blames the engineers for our "execution"
    - Some of the longer-tenure employees are feeling the burden and starting to leave the company or interview
    - Micromanaging - feels like people are being watched based on the number of hours in the office

Advice to Management

(Advice to the board) We have made some marketing and product leadership changes through the years but honestly I think we need a change at the very top. The CEO is a fine and friendly person, but just incapable of leading us to the promise land. I think he is more worry about his image than anything else - instead of spending time leading the business, he spends his time on Glassdoor responding to negative reviews about the company and him.

3. "Deceiving, poorly managed company"

Former Employee - Support in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ingenio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, great snacks, catered lunch once a week and monthly happy hours. Some people from different departments are very nice and polite. The CEO is polite.

Cons

During the ENTIRE Interview/ hiring process they ask you if you're ok working from home on Saturdays and Sundays, to attract you to the job, then suddenly " they change the rules" and you are forced to come in to an empty building in the financial district with NO management. The managers/ director/ team lead are basically non existent.They are in meetings all day/ interviewing people ( rarely hiring anyone as a lot of employees are temporary) and they are nearly impossible to be reached ( was never able to figure out what exactly they do). They claim to be " so busy" when nobody can escalate the countless issues with the customers because they are nowhere to be found.

The customer facing problems are complicated as all the calls you will get are negative. You will never get a nice phone call from customers, is always an issue.

When asked why The rules changed on working from home, the managers do not take the blame at all and do not accept that they deceive people during the hiring process and lie to their face. They tell you the working from home is " an option down the road" and depending on how you do, you can work from home. That was NEVER discussed during the interview. As a matter of fact, after finishing training, I was told by a supervisor that I was ready to work from home that weekend. The next day, the was not the option anymore and had to come in to the building, with no management and the only person there. Why? I could've done the same or better job at home as previously discussed in the interview.

Don't waste your time training and getting hope they will honor what they say in the interview process. Management are stubborn.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people. Be professional and don't make people waste their time.

4. "Life @ Ingenio"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of engineers

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

"SF-Based Software Company w/ Strong Company Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, work-life balance, good employee benefits, weekly paid employee lunch, flexible work arrangements, great location with amazing views, and a culture which invites learning and development.

Cons

As often is the case with smaller teams, in some circumstances you wear more than one hat when completing work and may encounter a few bottlenecks.

6. "Good Employee Benefits & Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee benefits, great location in SF, good compensation package, great culture, work-life balance, weekly employee lunch, and open engaging atmosphere.

Cons

Training and personal development, over utilization of mid-level employees.

7. "Current employee"

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

Excellent management and employee structure

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities for moving up

"Solid Leadership, Empowering Environment"

Pros

responsive leadership, opportunities for advancement, excellent benefits package

Cons

there are challenges associated with working on top of legacy code base,

Advice to Management

Continue to provide learning and growth opportunities

"Poor senior management"

Current Employee - Senior Telephony Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Telephony Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, free snacks, free lunch, lay back working environment. Office is close to Bart and middle of FiDi. Overall good working environment if you don't care about learning and growing

Cons

This company used to have so much promises but with some key people leaving the company, it seems the company is in decline. CEO has no idea how to run the company - 2/3 of the company are marketing and admin that do no drive any values to the company. We need more good product and engineering people to build good products, but all the company does are invest in marketing and CS to "get more new users". And when the company doesn't perform it's the engineering execution fault. There are also a lot of distrust to the individual contributors--no more WFH even though most are productive.

Advice to Management

I would advice the board to get rid of the current senior leadership team. Marketing doesn't do anything in the past 3 years and the CEO continues to invest in them instead of engineering and product, which should be the life of a company ! Talk about wrong priorities to build a company!

Ingenio Response

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

I appreciate your feedback and am glad to hear you appreciate your coworkers (and snacks!). Being humble is one of our core values so I also take to heart your comments about my leadership, and... More

"Laid back culture but no longer growing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Easy going culture; nice people; everyone seems to get along with each other; management tries hard at keeping the company transparent

Cons

Company seems to be no longer growing; lost some key people this year; it's not clear from the CEO how the company will grow further from the current state; company is marketing-heavy instead of investing in engineering and products--all nice product ideas have been shot down in favor of growing the 800# business; compensation is probably on the low end compares to other tech startups

Advice to Management

Invest in engineering and products, not marketing. Need to define a compelling plan of how to grow the company. Focus is the key, but we are probably focusing on the wrong things.

Ingenio Response

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for making these comments. Without feedback it’s hard to improve. I’m pleased to hear you appreciate your coworkers and our transparency, while at the same time it sounds like I need to... More