Ingenio Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Warren Heffelfinger

1. "Excellent leadership and positive, innovative environment"

Current Employee - Policy & Risk in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Policy & Risk in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The executive and management teams genuinely care about employee satisfaction. The company culture focuses on fun, innovation, and empowerment throughout all levels of the business. Generous time-off + opportunities to grow + social outings + great location for lunchtime strolls.

Cons

Being a small company, many of us wear several "hats". This certainly creates avenues for growth but also means workload can be intense at times.

Advice to Management

The transparency in communication you've provided over the last year has really boosted employee morale (both for me personally and my direct reports); keep it up. :)

"Growth, Professional and Personal"

Current Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and a fun work environment. Everyone has an opportunity to contribute to the growth of the company and are encouraged to do so. Ingenio isn't too large, so everyone pulls their own weight and there are many opportunities for collaborating with other departments.

Cons

Pretty busy as we continue our growth, but that’s not a bad thing!

Advice to Management

Let’s keep moving forward! I love the direction the company is headed and feel we have the right people to do it! The culture and drive of the company is better than ever.

3. "Great culture, best kept secret in SF"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

Great company, culture, team, and management. Company is profitable (bonuses!) which is a rare scene in San Francisco; it was acquired by AT&T for a couple years until a PE firm bought it out 2 years ago (a good thing). Now it is completely independent but it still retains a small company/startup vibe. There are many long-term employees here (the 5+, 7+, 10+) which suggest the company is doing something right. Company is growing and hiring slowly but steadily like any well-run company. Management team has done a good job communicating the short-term and 5 year vision of the company. Kitchen is always stocked with snacks and fruits. Free catered lunch every Wednesday. Nice people who respect each other.

Cons

Company is 50+ people and everyone is close to each other. You may not like it if you enjoy working for large companies. It still have some old processes which I hope management will change over time. Hiring process is tough...only the best got hired, which is kind of good, but also means there are certain critical/engineering positions still open after 6+ months.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

4. "using your real talents"

Current Employee - Psychic Adviser in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Psychic Adviser in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

calls from wonderful people, great pay, you get to use your real talents. its not like in an office where you are restricted and judged till you no longer feel like a human. You can get monthly or daily pay in ach transfers, The pay can range from 300 a week to 1,200.00 a week depending on how established you are and of course the moon and the stars and the weather etc... :)

Cons

Sometimes you get clients that call and act like you are a walmart product. Not often. It is getting much better as far as the adviser treatment by the company, when it was owned by at&t they treated the advisers like criminals, but now they are working company policies out of that and into treating the people that make their money for them like humans. The money back is still there, but its not as easy for ppl to just rate you bad and get a refund. The new owners keep an eye on the refunds and make sure its justified. Listing fees can cost more than you make, you have to be careful with your listing fees and keep a keen eye on them to make sure you don't lose everything you earned for the day.

Advice to Management

You do not have a manager on this job. Just company policies to adhere by.

5. "Leadership Team Genuinely Cares About Employees - Great Company"

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

- A lot of room to come up with your own ideas and execute. Execs will empower you with the responsibility of improving a critical business area, and trust you to come up with the strategy and execute.
    - Many opportunities to shine with quick wins. The company spent over half a decade buried inside AT&T before becoming independent again. Can show positive results with relative ease
    - Opinions are respected regardless of title and tenure, very friendly work environment and culture
    - High performance is recognized. Leadership team is genuinely appreciative of your work and ideas.
    - Low level of organizational politics. Light bureaucracy, politicking and red tape compared with other places I've worked at.
    - Excellent work/life balance, well stocked kitchen, flexibility for those with long commutes.

Cons

- Since the company was founded in 1999, there are many legacy issues. Over 15 years of workarounds built on top of workarounds, making it challenging to integrate initiatives with more modern solutions.
    - Company strategy heavy toward 'holding the line' or maintenance/optimizing existing products instead of going on the offensive and blazing new trails. Might not be the place for somebody who enjoys building new products.

Advice to Management

- Continue leading with a heart! It's so rare to have an executive team that genuinely cares about creating a positive, cohesive work environment.
    - Company vision could use a bit more clarity. There has been a lot of focus on answering the question 'what do we do' but not so much around answering the question 'why do we do it.' So at the highest level, why do we all come to work and build a marketplace for advice? A unified vision will help energize and rally the team.

6. "Solid Leadership, Empowering Environment"

Pros

responsive leadership, opportunities for advancement, excellent benefits package

Cons

there are challenges associated with working on top of legacy code base,

Advice to Management

Continue to provide learning and growth opportunities

7. "Current employee"

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

Excellent management and employee structure

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities for moving up

8. "SF-Based Software Company w/ Strong Company Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, work-life balance, good employee benefits, weekly paid employee lunch, flexible work arrangements, great location with amazing views, and a culture which invites learning and development.

Cons

As often is the case with smaller teams, in some circumstances you wear more than one hat when completing work and may encounter a few bottlenecks.

9. "Life @ Ingenio"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of engineers

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Lots of interesting technical challenges.
    2. Ownership of product is certainly there. Small teams - Ones work is definitely not lost like many big companies.
    3. Dedicated teams and individuals, smart people all around. Very intelligent, flexible and helpful tech-leads and managers.
    4. Huge growth opportunity.
    5. Dedicated higher management which is investing into technical side of product. They definitely know what they are up to.
    6. Profitable
    7. Beautiful office location, free snacks and weekly catered lunch

Cons

1. Like many old products, many software application components have huge technical debt but it is not really a downside, it means more challenges to solve
    2. Needs more people on technical side
    3. Things are getting more process oriented and it feels like getting the things done is getting priority over getting the things perfect, hence the creativity is getting lost (5 gettings :D) - but this could be just my perception.