Ingenio Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Warren Heffelfinger

1. "Current employee"

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

Excellent management and employee structure

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities for moving up

2. "Poor senior management"

Current Employee - Senior Telephony Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Telephony Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, free snacks, free lunch, lay back working environment. Office is close to Bart and middle of FiDi. Overall good working environment if you don't care about learning and growing

Cons

This company used to have so much promises but with some key people leaving the company, it seems the company is in decline. CEO has no idea how to run the company - 2/3 of the company are marketing and admin that do no drive any values to the company. We need more good product and engineering people to build good products, but all the company does are invest in marketing and CS to "get more new users". And when the company doesn't perform it's the engineering execution fault. There are also a lot of distrust to the individual contributors--no more WFH even though most are productive.

Advice to Management

I would advice the board to get rid of the current senior leadership team. Marketing doesn't do anything in the past 3 years and the CEO continues to invest in them instead of engineering and product, which should be the life of a company ! Talk about wrong priorities to build a company!

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

I appreciate your feedback and am glad to hear you appreciate your coworkers (and snacks!). Being humble is one of our core values so I also take to heart your comments about my leadership, and ... More

"Management is a big problem"

I have been working at Ingenio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to love working here, but now I can't think for a single reason to do so for a person who considering opportunities, move on.

Cons

Company is on strong downtrend in terms of management and management decisions. Here is some examples:
     - people are disappearing or getting "let go" without explanation and event a notice to co-worker. On the direct question higher management responded "We prefer not to disclose reasons".
    - just recently CEO made a decision to apply a work from home policy that comes down to "no working from home". About 10 people in the company used to work from home every friday for several years and just suddenly this was announced

Basic awareness of management practices is lacking.

Advice to Management

Focus on people, they are the company, make them happy, treat them as adults. Fire ones who are not.

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for making these comments. Perception is reality so if this is indeed your perception then it’s my job to work on improving that, especially since you are actually a current team member ... More

5. "Solid Leadership, Empowering Environment"

Pros

responsive leadership, opportunities for advancement, excellent benefits package

Cons

there are challenges associated with working on top of legacy code base,

Advice to Management

Continue to provide learning and growth opportunities

"Laid back culture but no longer growing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Easy going culture; nice people; everyone seems to get along with each other; management tries hard at keeping the company transparent

Cons

Company seems to be no longer growing; lost some key people this year; it's not clear from the CEO how the company will grow further from the current state; company is marketing-heavy instead of investing in engineering and products--all nice product ideas have been shot down in favor of growing the 800# business; compensation is probably on the low end compares to other tech startups

Advice to Management

Invest in engineering and products, not marketing. Need to define a compelling plan of how to grow the company. Focus is the key, but we are probably focusing on the wrong things.

Nov 4, 2016 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for making these comments. Without feedback it’s hard to improve. I’m pleased to hear you appreciate your coworkers and our transparency, while at the same time it sounds like I need to ... More

"Short term thinking"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

Great company culture. Management has right intent. Free Wednesday lunches. Mostly nice people.

Cons

Current senior management seems to be too short term thinking. Focusing on phone business which is dying.

Recent promotions seem to favor friends of management with very little executive experience overall and in Marketing. If you don't have something in common with management, you may want to look elsewhere.

Management has a "ski hill strategy", believing that 1 more customer per day will make a difference, but things don't work that way without a drastic change.

Advice to Management

Making CS answer better phone calls will not grow the company. We need bigger changes

8. "Java"

Pros

good and up to date technology

Cons

lots of work to do

Advice to Management

hire more people

9. "Former employee's perspective on the company and management"

I worked at Ingenio full-time

Pros

Everyone is generally pretty nice.

Cons

1. Most, if not all, employees/departments/managers are cliquey. As a new hire, you are guaranteed won't be treated the same, fair way as your veteran colleagues. You will be punished for having the same habits as your veteran colleagues while they get off "scott free." I'm talking about as simple as web-surfing, being on your phone, or taking over 10-minute-breaks.

2. They are extremely understaffed and lacking in manpower/company resources, which means you should expect 9~12 hr work days, and they will not show any appreciation for it.

3. Even though they are undermanned, they are still extremely picky at hiring new employees. They already have a "perfect candidate" in mind before they hire someone, so if any of the followings don't match with what they have in mind (personality, skills, experience, compensation, interview conversation, word/sentence choices), they will pass on you.

4. Compensation is all about the annual bonus pay since the annual raise makes pretty much no difference to your base pay.

Advice to Management

Be fair to all your employees regardless of seniority & reward them for a job well done more than verbal encouragements

"Not recommended"

Pros

- Location is decent
    - CEO post-AT&T was refreshing and tried to instill newer ideas to push growth.

Cons

- Most of those in management roles are from pre-AT&T aquisition and formed cliques.
    - Manager openly had double standard which heavily favored direct reports that were also their friends (no accountability); gossip galore.
    - Manager and friends would find ways to bully others whenever they felt like it.
    - Tasks were easy, but no growth or recognition whatsoever when you did go the extra mile.
    - My team was never interested in moving away from archaic processes. New smarter, ideas? Forget about it.

11. "Leadership Team Genuinely Cares About Employees - Great Company"

I have been working at Ingenio full-time

Pros

- A lot of room to come up with your own ideas and execute. Execs will empower you with the responsibility of improving a critical business area, and trust you to come up with the strategy and execute.
    - Many opportunities to shine with quick wins. The company spent over half a decade buried inside AT&T before becoming independent again. Can show positive results with relative ease
    - Opinions are respected regardless of title and tenure, very friendly work environment and culture
    - High performance is recognized. Leadership team is genuinely appreciative of your work and ideas.
    - Low level of organizational politics. Light bureaucracy, politicking and red tape compared with other places I've worked at.
    - Excellent work/life balance, well stocked kitchen, flexibility for those with long commutes.

Cons

- Since the company was founded in 1999, there are many legacy issues. Over 15 years of workarounds built on top of workarounds, making it challenging to integrate initiatives with more modern solutions.
    - Company strategy heavy toward 'holding the line' or maintenance/optimizing existing products instead of going on the offensive and blazing new trails. Might not be the place for somebody who enjoys building new products.

Advice to Management

- Continue leading with a heart! It's so rare to have an executive team that genuinely cares about creating a positive, cohesive work environment.
    - Company vision could use a bit more clarity. There has been a lot of focus on answering the question 'what do we do' but not so much around answering the question 'why do we do it.' So at the highest level, why do we all come to work and build a marketplace for advice? A unified vision will help energize and rally the team.