Ingenu Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Babak Razi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Getting back to our technology roots!"

I have been working at Ingenu full-time

Pros

Great team, product, technology, offices. The best and brightest work here and the team dynamic is fantastic. RPMA is going to connect billions of devices and the epicenter is right here at Ingenu.

Cons

As can be seen from some of the other reviews, there are definitely some hurt feelings from the folks that had to be let go. It's always unfortunate the human toll of staff reductions. In my opinion, these reductions were needed, entirely based on merit, and put's the company in a position to accelerate its progress.

Advice to Management

More frequent communication can never be a bad thing.

2. "Good company"

I have been working at Ingenu full-time

Pros

Great technology, smart people, good overall work atmosphere

Cons

Like any start-up, went through/is going through some hiccups, but will come out strong

Advice to Management

Better internal communication goes a long way

"Great opportunity but difficult buisness environement."

I have been working at Ingenu full-time

Pros

- The application of Ingenu's RPMA networking technology to the emerging IoT market represents a huge opportunity. Still likely to be on the ground floor of something big.
    - Talented, motivated engineering team. Some of the best systems, software, firmware and hardware talents in the industry.
    - Culture of innovation. Always trying to improve the technology.
    - Merit based advancement and minimal management overhead.
    - Flexible work environment and reasonable project timelines that don't rely on working crazy hours.
    - Family friendly workplace. Stepping out of the office to attend kid's school events or coach a sport is never a problem. Not uncommon to see employees bring their kids into the office.
    - Social, team oriented work environment.

Cons

- Market traction continues to lag. IoT market represents a huge opportunity but the timetable is difficult to predict. Always seems like just a couple quarters more and things will take off.
    - Lots of executive turnover. Last two CEO's removed by board for lack of business traction. Probably a positive to hold the "Boss" responsible for the state of affairs but creates a lot of fits and starts including a recent RIFT that hit business/sales team hard. Considering the lack of business development and forecasting probably needed but never a comfortable situation.
    - No visibility into business and sales development or lack there of.
    - Recent cash flow issues. Ousted CEO claimed solid funding at all-hands and then cash flow problems started almost immediately afterwards.

Advice to Management

- Get a handle on the business side and share the information with the employees.
    - Stabilize the cash flow.

"Just keeping it real!"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ingenu full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Been here for a while where I can say I've seen it all. Having said that, reality lies somewhere in the middle of the extreme reviews. The bottom line is it would be hard to find a company as good as Ingenu if you break it down as a place to work: great talent, great pay, great culture, great benefits and cutting edge technology in RPMA. Do not underestimate the potential of RPMA! Yes there are politics, big egos, internal drama, layoffs and such. But what company doesn't have these?

My overall rating is actually 4.5 stars.

Cons

The biggest con is constant change in company direction; chasing the "next big thing" and not seeing things through. With each new sales/leadership overhaul, a new vision is brought in that is the savior of all things, but only results in lukewarm success or borderline failure. Additionally too many external forces and special interests affecting daily operations; can't let that happen.

Advice to Management

New management... respect is not automatic and should not be assumed. Earn your keep and lead by example. Old management... keep personnel egos in check (across the board) and remember that no single body can ever be bigger than the company. All management at all levels, managers get paid to manage, so lets see some actual management and leadership for a change (being too busy is not an excuse).

"Writing is on the wall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ingenu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of good engineers and genuinely good people.
    Relaxed work atmosphere (9 to 5) when you have a job.
    Beer Thursdays once a month are back.
    Party planning committee does a good job of trying to boost the morale.
    Decent vacation policy (15 days) gets better after 5 years (20 days).

Cons

TECHNOLOGY: It is not as great as people at Ingenu believe. There is a reason that there are only handful of deployments, with largest deployment of a paltry 40000 endpoints, after 8 years of countless trials and pilots. Most of these deployments were priced ridiculously to win. The technology has fundamental limitations and this is the core problem.

BOARD & CO-FOUNDERS: The figurehead board does not do its job. Main investor and co-founders are fickle minded and desperate.They run door-to-door chasing the next thing without a well-thought out strategy and discipline. They grossly underestimate expenditure and overestimate future revenue. This is why the company keeps digging itself into a financial hole.

EXECUTIVE TEAM: Thanks to this "next girlfriend" approach, the executive team minus the founders (i.e. CEO, marketing, sales, finance, product) is a revolving door every 2 years. This creates confusion and uncertainty in rank and file. Oddly, there is a deeply embedded culture of engineering first and not customers and market share first, which is inherent reason for the inability of the company to pivot and be successful.

FINANCING: There has been no major investor other than third wave because the company is unable to generate revenues, for the above 3 key reasons, even after 9 years of existence. The last interim co-CEOs were supposed to invest but left in 1 week!! Current interim CEO is the third wave investor partner.

FUTURE: Now that the new CEO, who is VC and not a business strategist, has direct visibility into the true problem at hands, I bet he will try to put lipstick on the pig and sell it for the best deal he can get. There is always a deal for the right price, and when it happens, the co-founders and early employees will do fine to OK while the rest of us will have nothing to show for our work.

FUTURE EMPLOYEE: Pay is below industry average. No pay hikes or bonuses (no money). No 401K matching. 20% of health from your pocket + high deductibles. Surprisingly no stock options for performance! High turnover among non-founding employees.

Advice to Management

Futile to advise the management as you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I would love to see what mettle the current CEO is made of.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ingenu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great people with a solid proven technology. Relaxed working environment, great place for self-starters. Lots of smart folks!

A new team with lots of experience has been assembled with a new direction that will be able to build on some of the past successes. Lots of progress is being made outside of the US.

Cons

Unfortunately uncertain times created by the lackluster spending of previous CEO under a flawed model has painted us in a corner. We'll need to dig ourselves out the only way we know how, by staying laser focused on the new direction. It won't be easy but we can do it.

Advice to Management

As opposed to previous management, co-founders and new management should remain transparent with current employees. It's probably time for weekly all hands.

"May want to hold out and watch for now"

I worked at Ingenu full-time

Pros

The technology is promising, it's a great space to be in
    Always seems to be a breakout moment on the horizon (also a con)
    Good people
    Good benefits
    To be fair, the "Mormons need not apply" comment should be put into context. The former regime hired almost only Mormons with little to no apparent qualifications for their respective jobs which led to minimal results. When the regime shifted, they were let go more likely due to performance.

Cons

Funding has been tight, many missed direct deposits and not paying vendors
    Direction bounces around too much and is not clear
    Poor messaging to employees
    No severance

Advice to Management

Figure out what kind of company you want to be and keep your employees informed. Save some money for severance.

"Great Technology, promising future with some current hiccups."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ingenu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great RPMA technology, solves real world problems in gracious way.
    Friendly work environment.

Cons

Current unstable financial situation. Not able to find a working business model yet.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. Attract more talents. Write good documents so people can understand more about RPMA, and easily use the technology.

"Almost over the hump..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ingenu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has always treated me right. Pay, benefits, options and time off are great, way better than industry standard. The company is quick to provide needed tools, accommodations or training/education. The managers are fair and reasonable and don't make you kill yourself in accomplishing company goals - they get you the help you need. There are plenty of good opportunities for cross-functional experiences, people are encouraged to take ownership. Work/life balance is important to management, they've always bent over backwards to accommodate my vacation requests, even when the timing was inconvenient. The building is new and cheerfully decorated and is in a good location close to 15, with lots of good lunch and exercise places nearby (walking distance to Miramar Lake). The workforce is extremely diverse, which leads to super fun/delicious potlucks and good times at after work beer socials. Everyone here is treated with respect, dignity and equality, which isn’t something you would notice unless you didn’t get it. Best of all, our tech is world-class and ludicrously superior to that of the "competition". There's a lot here to like for sure.
    We've been through some tough times recently but, now that we've had a change of business leadership, I'm feeling a lot more hopeful about the future and am looking forward to hearing about and executing to our new business plan. I think our tech speaks for itself but we've learned that you need equally top notch biz folks to roll it out.

Cons

Uncertainty has created tension and rampant speculation in the workforce which is not helpful in day to day operations. Needs attention.

Advice to Management

Management should share company goals and business plans more widely and more often. I think this would help soothe nerves, boost morale and focus efforts.

"Is Your Next Job Here?"

I worked at Ingenu full-time

Pros

Greetings!

You might be a prospective employee when/if Ingenu starts to hire people again. Emphasis on the "when/if" given the recent layoffs in San Diego and Phoenix.

The questions you need to ask in your interviews are about the company's future plans, its on-hand funds to support those plans, whether they are current with their past due invoices to suppliers, are employees getting paid on time by direct deposit and whether there is a clearly communicated strategy with experienced people in place to execute that strategy. Unfortunately, the answers to all of those questions today is a very loud 'no.' And the answer to all of those questions should be 'yes' before you trade your time, experience and talent for a role at Ingenu.

Cons

Ingenu has been a very good lesson in the mistakes start-ups can make when they lose focus or lacked it in the first place. Since 2012 there have been at least four full-time CEO's, three VP/CFO's, countless sales org changes, various levels of competent and incompetent leadership in other parts of the organization, etc. The company has burned through some of the most talented people I have worked with across several very talented companies in San Diego.

Advice to Management

Create a complete, supportable, sound and well communicated business plan and head that direction. You are running out of time on the technology, competition, investors, employees and frankly your own energy.