Ingles Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Decent hours, and a flexible schedule (in 22 reviews)

• Offers part time work to those who are willing to give a fair days work for a fair days pay (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • A bit difficult to snag full time hours (with benefits) (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay for amount of responsibility (in 19 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working fulltime in the Meat Department for about 3 months. My Meat Market Manager has been great to work for so far. I have been given 40 plus hours every week from day one. The group of people I work with couldn't get any better.

Cons

The biggest issue I have is NOT A SET SCHEDULE!! With 2 kids its hard to not have a set schedule.

Advice to Management

Discipline the people When they break the rules and don't do their job don't keep rewarding them.

2. "Bagger"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Some Diversity in tasks, easy job, easy scheduling

Cons

Little to no pay raise, no tips, no bonuses.

3. "cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are great they made the job

Cons

management need to lighten up alittle bit

Advice to Management

Give your employee's a chance to train before you start to yell at them about speed

5. "Pretty Fun, Pays More than Minimum Wage"

Pros

Good environment, fun job, good pay

Cons

Unclean work area, hard work, everything is frozen instead of making by hand.

6. "Associate"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Some of the people I work with I truly enjoy working with. The job is flexible and my supervisor is very easy to work with.

Cons

People are allowed to literally get away with whatever they want to. This includes threatening, cussing out, and physically harming other employees. The job is essentially the Wild West.

Advice to Management

Nut up and fire these type of people.

7. "Decent Starter Job"

Current Employee - Cashier/Service Clerk in Thomaston, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Service Clerk in Thomaston, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entry-level, easy job, almost like free money.
    Resume building job.
    Chance to meet new people and interact with the nice customers.

Cons

Terrible pay / raises
    Room for advancement but they prefer to hire from the outside
    Tons of favoritism in the front end from bookkeepers to management.
    Dealing with horrible customers.
    Management doesn't realize the real hard workers in the store but glorify the kids that they like.

Advice to Management

Please start paying the hard workers more, stop hiring from the outside to fill better positions.
    When an employee expresses discomfort in their position, change it and let them do something else.

8. "Good first job"

Pros

Some background interview questions, drug test and training

Cons

Can get really slow and sometimes super busy

9. "No respect for employees"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Gray, GA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Gray, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some team members were good

Cons

Management was not sufficient

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to be more sufficient in working with employees immediate important personal family urgencis and take these life changing events more seriously and understanding rather than judging someone for something out of their control and punishing them for family emergencies that effect the employee in a very life changing impact on their life before they jump to the conclusion that just cutting that employee out of the company for an event that occurred that was out of their control. You lose an employee that was truly a hard worker that just had a strand of bad things happen all at once. That is not the time to hurt the employee more by taking away their job over circumstances beyond their control. You don't add more stress and hurt to someone that is trying their best to do good but just have a tragic situation hit twice in less than 2 weeks and you give no true condolences or sympathy to someone that needs any encouraging person at the time, not kick them more when they are already down and then lie about the situation when the employee reaches out for help. You don't set an employee up for failure, you should try to encourage positive things to an employee not treat them so bad when they are already going through a time of crisis. This could cause some people if down enough to be pushed over the edge and has too many times caused people to turn to suicide when the one thing they did in life was try to work and just do the best they could to get through the hard time and instead maangers often turn their back on people to quick instead of trying to offer help and understanding, managers don't want to go the extra mile to see an employee through a hardship and often if they would have they would find they had a really good employee there that would prosper in the company if not given up on when often that person's job is the one good thing they look to for inspiration to keep them going but sometimes may just need a little understanding and compassion which most managers find too much of an inconvenience to take the time to do.

10. "Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Deli Associate
    Current Employee - Deli Associate

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, and a flexible schedule. It's usually pretty easy work. If you're going to school it is a really good place to work.

Cons

No benefits even though you work full time hours. Not really enough pay to support yourself let alone a family. Moving up in the company is easy but the jobs aren't worth the hassle.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and give full time to those who want it. Get rid of managers that don't have a handle on their jobs. Don't promote people that haven't been there at least a year to management positions.

11. "Love my job as a cashier. Challenging but fun, due to the fact I work in a high traffic, busy store."

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great w/ working w/your schedule, especially in college. Decent pay for a part time job (I get 9.25). Nice management mostly, good environment overall. My store stays busy so there's always something to do. I love most of my coworkers, from all depts. it's like one big family.

Cons

Disorganized management (due to the fact they don't get enough training, they're just thrown out there). We're often shorthanded with our cashiers and baggers. I moved up to bookkeeper shortly after I started, then moved back down about 7 months later due to lack of management hiring help in the office causing me to almost fail my college classes 2 semesters in a row. Long story short I do so much for the store and do whatever needs to be done on the front end, and I've only ever received one thank you & it was the other day from a new CSM. Otherwise, a great job.

Advice to Management

Hire plenty enough help. Thoroughly train not only the cashiers/baggers but the new front end management (when you get a new CSM) so the employees under them get things done right and not get mislead. I've seen it happen a lot, and it stresses me out, bc I know how things should be done and I hate not seeing them done right. Also, discipline is a big one. I hate seeing other cashiers/baggers get away with things I wouldn't get away with if I tried them. They need to do their jobs right or go home.