Ingles Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Somewhat flexible schedule, depending on manager (in 23 reviews)

• Offers part time work to those who are willing to give a fair days work for a fair days pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be full time for ten years to get more than two weeks vacation (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay and constantly expecting more work (in 22 reviews)

1. "Pharmacy"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

The pharmacist and other pharmacy employees were great to work with.
    Helpful and encouraging of continued learning.

Cons

Managers and other higher employees of the store were a pain to work with and made things difficult at times.
    They tried to treat us like regular employees and tried to make use to other things for the store when our main job was within the pharmacy.

2. "Ingles"

Current Employee - Back Up Scan Coordinator in Boiling Springs, Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Back Up Scan Coordinator in Boiling Springs, Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, advancement opportunities, good management

Cons

No insurance for part time. Work full time hours with part time benefits

3. "Not much growth"

Pros

It puts food on the table

Cons

Little growth, no raises other than 25¢ once a year. Little incentive to do more than bare minimum

Advice to Management

Raises

4. "Part-time associate"

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If looking for a job as a supplement for income. Enhance your customer service skills. Hours are some what flexible.

Cons

Some of the employees are broken and unprofessional. Managers and Assistant Managers need more professional training. Customer Service managers do not know how to talk to employees. Sometimes they come off in a racist manner. They talk down to you, do not respect you as a person. They try so hard to shut employees down, they do not properly communicate with their employees and issues are not resolved quickly. I have understand we are not here to be friends but respect is the key.

Advice to Management

On a yearly basis managers and assistant managers should have training in EEO matters, customer service training and even diversity training. You do have managers working for you that have issues communicating with cultures that are not of their own.

5. "Good company to work for, if you are retired and or a young kid who is still living at home"

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time

Pros

Good company to work for. A bunch of good employees who work hard, and help each other out

Cons

Pay could be better but the pay down south -below Mason/Dixon line is low.

6. "Okay at first..."

Current Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first job for 16 year olds

Cons

Terrible management, hours, schedules created by computer not by a person, pointless policies, no benefits, barely anyway to move up in position

Advice to Management

Stop with the strong favoritism and nepotism

7. "Bakery clerk"

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management (in-store, District, and the CEO) is great. They are caring people who will work with you. I am praised for great customer service and when I do an exceptional job for a specific task. Management makes me feel like I am worth something, and my pay reflects that as well.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of is no employee discount.

8. "deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli in Ellijay, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Ellijay, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

short driving distance to work

Cons

No benefits. Management on all levels lie continually. New hires, hire in at a higher pay rate than employees that have been there three years. Absolute no way to advance out of the deli. Even when other departments ask for you.

Advice to Management

Quit lying to employees when in involves money issues. Treat employees with some since of respect. I know you think we are beneath you, but most of us have had higher level jobs in past and some of us have even been managers.

"It can be good."

Current Employee - Associate in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is there. Hard work is usually rewarded.

Cons

Low pay and constantly expecting more work. Favoritism is a problem. Management is constantly changing within the departments and stores.

Advice to Management

There are people in management that should not be there. They are protected by higher ups and it makes it difficult for average employees to respect them.

10. "Ingles Advantage? A legacy of abuse."

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

After working for a while, I get an opportunity of interact with customers who I sincerely care about and look forward to seeing.

Cons

Absolute TERRIBLE managerial styles. The "higher ups" act as such. Cashiers (as myself) are treated horribly as if we are tiny little ants with 0 purpose or worth. The way we are talked to should never be acceptable in ANY work place regardless of the job. Favoritism is a huge part of this company, if you are able to make it in the "in crowd" expect to be treated like royalty. If you show one single piece of opposition to their blatant disrespect towards employees you will receive very low hours and disrespect from others.

This company prides itself on tradition , and old "southern values", in which include hospitality, fast and friendly service and most importantly CARE. None of these principles apply once you are on pay roll. The management treats all employees with such distasteful wording. Its a very patronizing environment and is absolutely miserable to try and voice concerns. I am writing this as a current employee in search of another company who values their employees, and NEVER resorts to retaliatory behavior that affects the lives of those who are on payroll. I truly am very appalled that I have been with this company for 6 months and the behavior has not changed but gotten worse. I amongst others are never treated as human beings, but more as mindless drones who have no platform to voice concerns on this maltreatment. I pray that this company changes their MO but since they pride themselves on "Tradition" The legacy of abuse continues as it has for such a long time.

Advice to Management

As an intelligient woman like myself, I would recommed the most simple and basic word. Respect. You can be in the industry for a zillion years and still not posses such a basic human trait. Professionalism. If you are in a position of leadership, do you think it is ok to yell, and talk about (more like defame) other employees WHILE that employee is in their presence? I dont think so. Work Climate. The air in every ingles store is heavy, do you know why? BECAUSE WE WORKERS ARE INFURIATED. How can we be excited to work for a company who subjects their employees to continual verbal abuse to coerce us into mindless obedience. Not only is it right, its borderline tyrannical .