Ingles Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Somewhat flexible schedule, depending on manager (in 23 reviews)

• Offers part time work to those who are willing to give a fair days work for a fair days pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be full time for ten years to get more than two weeks vacation (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay and constantly expecting more work (in 22 reviews)

1. "deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli in Ellijay, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Ellijay, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

short driving distance to work

Cons

No benefits. Management on all levels lie continually. New hires, hire in at a higher pay rate than employees that have been there three years. Absolute no way to advance out of the deli. Even when other departments ask for you.

Advice to Management

Quit lying to employees when in involves money issues. Treat employees with some since of respect. I know you think we are beneath you, but most of us have had higher level jobs in past and some of us have even been managers.

2. "Ingles Advantage? A legacy of abuse."

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

After working for a while, I get an opportunity of interact with customers who I sincerely care about and look forward to seeing.

Cons

Absolute TERRIBLE managerial styles. The "higher ups" act as such. Cashiers (as myself) are treated horribly as if we are tiny little ants with 0 purpose or worth. The way we are talked to should never be acceptable in ANY work place regardless of the job. Favoritism is a huge part of this company, if you are able to make it in the "in crowd" expect to be treated like royalty. If you show one single piece of opposition to their blatant disrespect towards employees you will receive very low hours and disrespect from others.

This company prides itself on tradition , and old "southern values", in which include hospitality, fast and friendly service and most importantly CARE. None of these principles apply once you are on pay roll. The management treats all employees with such distasteful wording. Its a very patronizing environment and is absolutely miserable to try and voice concerns. I am writing this as a current employee in search of another company who values their employees, and NEVER resorts to retaliatory behavior that affects the lives of those who are on payroll. I truly am very appalled that I have been with this company for 6 months and the behavior has not changed but gotten worse. I amongst others are never treated as human beings, but more as mindless drones who have no platform to voice concerns on this maltreatment. I pray that this company changes their MO but since they pride themselves on "Tradition" The legacy of abuse continues as it has for such a long time.

Advice to Management

As an intelligient woman like myself, I would recommed the most simple and basic word. Respect. You can be in the industry for a zillion years and still not posses such a basic human trait. Professionalism. If you are in a position of leadership, do you think it is ok to yell, and talk about (more like defame) other employees WHILE that employee is in their presence? I dont think so. Work Climate. The air in every ingles store is heavy, do you know why? BECAUSE WE WORKERS ARE INFURIATED. How can we be excited to work for a company who subjects their employees to continual verbal abuse to coerce us into mindless obedience. Not only is it right, its borderline tyrannical .

3. "Check out customers give change bag items check id for alcohol and tobacco"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Morganton, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Morganton, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my customers and the people i work with

Cons

Not getting enough hours to pay bills

Advice to Management

I have a family to take care of i need atleast 25 hours a week

4. "Do not work here"

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for high schoolers looking to work part time and make extra money, some nice co-workers and customers as with most retail jobs

Cons

The worst management I've ever experienced. They take delegation to the next level by doing absolutely nothing and taking it out on the lower levels if everything isn't done the way they want it to. Constantly coming up with new rules and reprimanding you for not knowing them. Picking favorites and having fun with them, while treating all other employees horribly. Not even trying to treat anyone with respect, including not knowing long time employees names (managers would refer to cashier by their register number often). Blaming employees for customer complaints. Expecting bookkeepers to balance every night, even if the money was off when they came in, and expecting them to get out on time so no overtime had to be given, while simultaneously making them do a managers job such as dealing with cashiers and customers on top of counting money. Promoting unworthy employees, not giving promised raises to others. Letting employees call out consistently and not doing anything about it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat employees with respect, and maybe you won't have such a high turnover rate.

5. "Not a bad place"

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time

Pros

Nice hours, Easy management, Decent pay

Cons

No benefits, Bad co-worker relationships

6. "Cashier"

I worked at Ingles Markets (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the customers and co-workers.

Cons

Management needs to go to school on how to deal with people. Management is hungry for their own salary on how much Laura Lynn products they can sell and too stingy on how they give raises and take a long time before you can even get a raise. They treat people different, if your well like by your mgr then you in the crowd. If not then your doom.

Advice to Management

Go to school on how to deal with people and that includes upper management as well.

7. "Scanning coordinator"

Current Employee - Scanning Coordinator
    Current Employee - Scanning Coordinator

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At least it's a job

Cons

Huge workload, no help, no training, company always worried about the wrong stuff, no overtime but want things done with no help with adding more to job continuously, corporate constantly messes same stuff up but you have fix it every week, PITIFUL PAY

Advice to Management

Treat better, give help, train better, corporate needs to pay attention to what they are doing instead of making everyone fix their mistakes, pay better

8. "What a joke."

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Dallas, NC
    Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Dallas, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I laughed out loud when I tried to think of any "pro" for this hell hole of a company. I would say the highlight of my days are when I'm walking out of the store to go home.

Cons

Every single employee of this company is completely insufferable. The self righteous hierarchy of power that this business displays is downright laughable. No one in charge of anything important has any idea what the hell their job actually is. It's honestly astonishing that Ingles has not gone bankrupt.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your lives.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Jonesborough, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Jonesborough, TN

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Great assistant managers. Good coworkers. Great job for school kids.

Cons

Lousy job for adults who have homes to maintain and bills and taxes to pay. Seniors get very few hours . When you put in years of service and work your hourly rate up to something decent, you will get fewer hours. Manager prefers school kids who work for minimum wage. If they show up for work, seniors get kicked off their assigned shift to be replaced with a student. Also, they have a hideous habit of changing your schedule without notice, no text message, no phone call, no email and managers have cell phones on their hips. Never heard of this habit. Many people got up in this situation, leading to anger and frustration. Such a stupid stupid practice. It's a "go nowhere" job.

Advice to Management

Can't advise, they're too arrogant and unprofessional. Three assistant managers had the opportunity TWICE, to move into the managers position. TWICE all three refused. That tells you something.

10. "Unfair pay, crappy managers"

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Dallas, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Dallas, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good coworkers, The big wigs of the company are all really nice(except the lady over Deli, Ms. Mixon, she's awful)

Cons

long shifts, they have your work 40 or more hours a week and will never put you on full time, they yell at you, I went home crying many times. Awful place to work.

Advice to Management

Get new management because they pick favorites easily and if you do anything slightly wrong(because we are all human so it is bound to happen) they yell at you and do not treat you like a human.