Ingles Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Decent hours, and a flexible schedule (in 22 reviews)

• Very laid back company to work for (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to be full time for ten years to get more than two weeks vacation (in 27 reviews)

• Low pay for amount of responsibility (in 20 reviews)

1. "Really...are you kidding me?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellijay, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellijay, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Store location is close to home

Cons

If you are a low level employee this is an awful organization. You are forever listed as part time . Absolute no chance to advance. And after starting new employees off at 10 dollars an hour and older ones making less I would say that is crap. Not to mention the old ones are training the higher paid new ones.

Advice to Management

Non. because I am sure it would be totally ignored anyway.

2. "Wont give you fulltime"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Murphy, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Murphy, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people overall were good. Customers are reasonable with demands. I worked the Deli, it was always busy. I was the best deli worker by far but never was allowed over 39.9 hours a week. Immediately went to Publix and got fulltime and more pay..so the chaos did eventually pay off.

Cons

Management always looking to put you down, target people to fire voluntarily. Coworkers bad talking each other constantly, lazy people are ok as long as they come in everyday. Culture is mostly people looking for an easy paycheck. When people call out, quit, no call, never once did any manager try to fill the gap..too much work.

Advice to Management

Hope you can stay afloat with Publix taking all of your borrowed fake business practices. Most concepts are taken from other longer standing retailers.

3. "No respect for employees"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Gray, GA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Gray, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some team members were good

Cons

Management was not sufficient

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to be more sufficient in working with employees immediate important personal family urgencis and take these life changing events more seriously and understanding rather than judging someone for something out of their control and punishing them for family emergencies that effect the employee in a very life changing impact on their life before they jump to the conclusion that just cutting that employee out of the company for an event that occurred that was out of their control. You lose an employee that was truly a hard worker that just had a strand of bad things happen all at once. That is not the time to hurt the employee more by taking away their job over circumstances beyond their control. You don't add more stress and hurt to someone that is trying their best to do good but just have a tragic situation hit twice in less than 2 weeks and you give no true condolences or sympathy to someone that needs any encouraging person at the time, not kick them more when they are already down and then lie about the situation when the employee reaches out for help. You don't set an employee up for failure, you should try to encourage positive things to an employee not treat them so bad when they are already going through a time of crisis. This could cause some people if down enough to be pushed over the edge and has too many times caused people to turn to suicide when the one thing they did in life was try to work and just do the best they could to get through the hard time and instead maangers often turn their back on people to quick instead of trying to offer help and understanding, managers don't want to go the extra mile to see an employee through a hardship and often if they would have they would find they had a really good employee there that would prosper in the company if not given up on when often that person's job is the one good thing they look to for inspiration to keep them going but sometimes may just need a little understanding and compassion which most managers find too much of an inconvenience to take the time to do.

5. "Low pay"

Current Employee - Frozen Food Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Frozen Food Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management and coworkers. Fun and relaxed place to work. Not too stressful.

Cons

They pay below average in most positions. Even if you have been there several years. Have to be full time for ten years to get more than two weeks vacation.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and there won't be so many leaving.

6. "Employers not very considerate of employees."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Taylors, SC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Taylors, SC

Pros

Decent amount of hours and the work itself is not that difficuly. Fairly laid back environment, at least in the deli.

Cons

Lack of caring from management. I cut my finger once on a meat slicer while helping a customer. I was told to go to the hospital for a tetanus shot, but not before I cleaned up my blood.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of health and family issues of employees.

7. "Very low morale"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Black Mountain, NC
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Black Mountain, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady everyday work,trucks are taken care of, well maintained, most of the trailers are in good shape

Cons

Double standards, disrespect, forced to go out in unsafe conditions like winter 2015 in 10 inches of snow won't give the salt trucks time to even start clearing the roads not to mention risking your personal vehicle getting to work, very low morale, been there 5 years and can't believe what most of the other drivers have told me and talked about, also the dispatchers, every one in transportation is very disgruntled because of the way we are treated and worked to death, a lot of drivers going out at 1 to 3 in the am with no more than 4-5 hours sleep on a daily basis very fatigued, not safe to go on 4 and 500 mile trips in the middle of the night, a lot of favorites depending on if you are liked, like giving better back hauls to some and sending others two and a half hours 100 or better miles to a backhaul, can trust very few people there, a lot of behind closed doors things go on, very poor communication, it's a shame that the place is the way it is because it has the potential to be a really good place to work, drivers have no input on anything that we could say to make things better for the company and workers, loads are all the time turning over in the trailers because they go around them once with shrink wrap and never secure them with load locks or straps, could go on but tired of texting, I don't really think that the company will change things anyway!

Advice to Management

Need to take a long look at transportation and start having drivers meetings or something and listen to suggestions to improve things for the company and the workers, well treated and happy employees are a lot more productive, and put in extra effort to see that the company is successful in everything they do.

8. "Deil of hell"

Current Employee - Deil in Hartwell, GA
    Current Employee - Deil in Hartwell, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

always busy, nice to work with hand and food

Cons

Drama from everyone, I've had coworkers 30 years older than me trying to start drama. hard work, lots of cleaning, rude customers, no hope for full time

9. "Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Cumming, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good first time job for high schoolers.

Cons

Benifits, vacation and sick time, actually getting full time, and if you are a female good luck getting past a CSM.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting personal friends who are mainly males, and listen to employees.

"More cons"

Former Employee - Deli in Landrum, SC
    Former Employee - Deli in Landrum, SC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers. Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Very Dirty. Understaffed. Dangerous at some points. Reusing old food. Not precise about recipes and uncaring. Too much work for the pay.

Advice to Management

A cleaner environment and cleaner standards. Staff that cares about what is being served.

11. "my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anderson, SC

Pros

well known employer, good hourly jobs and pay but mostly for students just starting out in the workforce or an additional income for those whom need it.

Cons

moving slowly in raising their hourly pay up to standards with other competitors,

Advice to Management

start raising the pay so you can attract employees other than highschool and college students whom quickly realize that this is a great job starting out but not for those trying to take care of family.