Ingles Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Decent hours, and a flexible schedule (in 22 reviews)

• Offers part time work to those who are willing to give a fair days work for a fair days pay (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • A bit difficult to snag full time hours (with benefits) (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay for amount of responsibility (in 19 reviews)

1. "Just Okay"

Former Employee - Floral Associate
    Former Employee - Floral Associate

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Close to my house

Cons

Some bad managers
    Managers at corporate offices seem to call more of the shots than they should (worked in floral, managers over floral would dictate how much we would be sent in flowers then blame us for not selling more than our stores could handle)

Advice to Management

Listen to those working in special departments like floral, not everything needs to be uniform

2. "Market Manager"

Current Employee - Market Manager in Locust Grove, GA
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Locust Grove, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very laid back company to work for.

Cons

Hard to hire great help.

3. "Thankful for the experience, sad for a wasted decade of employment."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morristown, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morristown, TN

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Staff is hardworking and friendly
    - You never have the same day twice in retail
    - Priceless management experience
    - Usually a great environment unless a district manager passed through

Cons

If you're not a man, it's very difficult to progress in this company. This a "good old boys" company through and through. I value my time here for the experience in management that I did learn. I mostly learned how not to handle a team of individuals and to respect my employees. Lack of benefits concerning holidays and how sick pay cane be used were a concern.

Advice to Management

Lower your shoulders and value your team members. The people that work hard for so little pay are what keep this company moving.

5. "Cashier"

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

The co-workers were friendly and customers exhibited southern hospitality.

Cons

High turnover rate and crazy couponers

6. "GREAT RETAIL COMPANY"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Barnesville, GA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Barnesville, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is very relaxed and focused on patients.

Cons

You are in a grocery store and they don't really understand pharmacy as a whole very well. You spend a lot of time educating store managers about things you can and cannot do.

7. "Front end"

Pros

There is room to move up the ladder. The pay raises are based on merit.

Cons

Lack of benefits for employees

8. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working fulltime in the Meat Department for about 3 months. My Meat Market Manager has been great to work for so far. I have been given 40 plus hours every week from day one. The group of people I work with couldn't get any better.

Cons

The biggest issue I have is NOT A SET SCHEDULE!! With 2 kids its hard to not have a set schedule.

Advice to Management

Discipline the people When they break the rules and don't do their job don't keep rewarding them.

9. "Associate"

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Some of the people I work with I truly enjoy working with. The job is flexible and my supervisor is very easy to work with.

Cons

People are allowed to literally get away with whatever they want to. This includes threatening, cussing out, and physically harming other employees. The job is essentially the Wild West.

Advice to Management

Nut up and fire these type of people.

10. "No respect for employees"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Gray, GA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Gray, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some team members were good

Cons

Management was not sufficient

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to be more sufficient in working with employees immediate important personal family urgencis and take these life changing events more seriously and understanding rather than judging someone for something out of their control and punishing them for family emergencies that effect the employee in a very life changing impact on their life before they jump to the conclusion that just cutting that employee out of the company for an event that occurred that was out of their control. You lose an employee that was truly a hard worker that just had a strand of bad things happen all at once. That is not the time to hurt the employee more by taking away their job over circumstances beyond their control. You don't add more stress and hurt to someone that is trying their best to do good but just have a tragic situation hit twice in less than 2 weeks and you give no true condolences or sympathy to someone that needs any encouraging person at the time, not kick them more when they are already down and then lie about the situation when the employee reaches out for help. You don't set an employee up for failure, you should try to encourage positive things to an employee not treat them so bad when they are already going through a time of crisis. This could cause some people if down enough to be pushed over the edge and has too many times caused people to turn to suicide when the one thing they did in life was try to work and just do the best they could to get through the hard time and instead maangers often turn their back on people to quick instead of trying to offer help and understanding, managers don't want to go the extra mile to see an employee through a hardship and often if they would have they would find they had a really good employee there that would prosper in the company if not given up on when often that person's job is the one good thing they look to for inspiration to keep them going but sometimes may just need a little understanding and compassion which most managers find too much of an inconvenience to take the time to do.

11. "Cashier"

I worked at Ingles Markets (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the customers and co-workers.

Cons

Management needs to go to school on how to deal with people. Management is hungry for their own salary on how much Laura Lynn products they can sell and too stingy on how they give raises and take a long time before you can even get a raise. They treat people different, if your well like by your mgr then you in the crowd. If not then your doom.

Advice to Management

Go to school on how to deal with people and that includes upper management as well.